Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Recipe of the Month - July 2006 Lock Rss

Welcome to the July Recipe of the Month Competition. We're looking forward to testing out your recipes this month. So please get our your chopping boards and mixers and whip something up for your kids. If it's a hit with them, enter it here.

The winning recipe will feature in our <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/Feeding... Your Baby</a> section here on the Huggies site and you will receive a prize from Huggies.

Happy Cooking!
This tasted really fantastic and was great for any age, just alter the veggies to whatever your baby is having at the time. It also fed the adults well too.

Lentil Sheppards Pie

(about 4 med sized) Mashed potato (for top of pie)
(about a handfull) Grated cheese (for top of pie)

Jar tomato bolognaise/Neapolitan spaghetti sauce
Can (400g) lentils
(about 3) Grated carrot
(about 1) Grated zucchini
(about 4) Grated mushrooms
(1/2 frozen packet) Grated spinach
(about 1) Chopped celery

(really any veggies that you like chopped however you like- I have grated veggies frozen for these meals)
You could add bacon or another meat if you like.

Simmer veggies in sauce till cooked (about 15 min)
Put into dish and put mashed potato on top, sprinkle with cheese
Put under grill/ in oven to brown

This fed about 4 adults (I made too much) and 3 kids.

It could have been put into little ramekin bowls too.

Enjoy!

3 under 3- 15 month gaps. Busy but loving it eìí?

Quick Sticks Baked Bean Pie

2 x 400g Tin Baked Beans
200g frozen spinach
4 potatoes (mashed)
1/4 cup cheddar/parmesan cheese, grated

Method:

Cook the spinach over a low heat until cooked through. Drain well.
Pour the baked beans into a oven proof dish.
Cover with the cooked spinach.
Then cover the spinach with the mashed potatoe and top of with grated cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven (180 degrees) for 10-15 minutes or until baked beans are hot and cheese are melted all over.
Alternatively finish with 5 minutes under a hot grill to make cheese crispy.

If you are pressed for time you can use Deb mashed potatoe mixture instead of real potatoes.

This recipe is a huge favourite for both my toddler and my husband. You can serve it by itself or with a fresh garden salad.
Enjoy!! smile

Sonet, QLD

This is a recipe for 6-7month old babies. I made it for the first time this morning and Ebony LOVED it!

Fruity Banana Porridge

1 tbsp oats
300ml water
2 small banana, mashed
4 tsp sultanas

Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan, cover and bring to the boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Puree by pushing through a sieve. (I used a stick blender to liquidize the porridge a little first, then pushed through a seive, to make it a little easier). If a thinner consistency is required, add more water.

This will make 2-3 serves.

You could also use different fruits. I am looking forward to making apricot porridge, using the same ingredients, but replacing the banana with 5 dried apricots smile

Tuna risotto -

I adapted this from one of my recipes after my 10 month old daughter ate half of my dinner! This makes about 4-5 portions that can be frozen.

1 tbsp canola oil
1/4 onion - finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp mixed herbs
1/4 pumpkin, diced
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup risotto rice
200ml tomato puree
1/4 zucchini (courgette) finely chopped
2 mushrooms finely choppe
1 cup water

Heat oil in a pan, turn down heat and add the onion and garlic. Gently fry until golden brown. Add the herbs, pumpkin and water. Make sure the mixture is simmering, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. Uncover and mash the pumpkin until smooth (or blend if your baby does not like too many lumps). Stir through the risotto rice, tomato puree, zucchini and mushrooms. Add the cup of water, bring to the boil then let simmer for about 20 minutes. Keep stirring every 5 minutes or so until the water is absorbed. It should end up being quite a thick sauce for younger children, and quite sticky for older children.

Enjoy!

Katrina, Auckland NZ

Here is a really yummy custard - it's my saving grace when I can't get my son to eat
anything and I really want to fill him up, especially before bed.

Ingredients

½ cup full cream milk

1 dessert spoon of corn flour (or continental flour)

½ tea spoon of vanilla essence

1 teaspoon of sugar (optional) this can also be replaced with any type of stewed fruit

2 additional dessert spoons of milk

Heat ½ cup of milk in a saucepan, when the milk almost boils take off heat and add corn
flour. Back to heat and stir until mixture thickens. If too thick add more milk (2
dessert spoons). Add vanilla essence, sugar and/or fruit

Minestrone Soup
?
INGREDIENTS: Serve 4
3 tablespoons water
1 leek, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
4 ounces green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 1/2 quarts vegetable stock
1 pound chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, with liquid
1/4 cup elbow macaroni
salt and ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Add water, leek, carrots, zucchini, green beans and celery. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
Stir in the stock, tomatoes and thyme. Bring to a boil, then replace the lid, and reduce heat to low; simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Stir in the cannellini beans with liquid and pasta. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.

Sharon,NSW,mother of 5

Chicken and Split Pea Soup

2 tbs yellow split peas
1/2 cup chopped pumpkin (butternut is best)
1 carrot chopped
1 tomato peeled and chopped
1/4 cup of lean diced or minced chicken
2 tbs long grain rice
1 clove garlic
1 tbs flat leaf parsley
1 tsp ground sage
1 1/2 cups good quality chicken stock

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook until split peas are soft. Blend together when cooked or mouli for a smoother consistency for younger babies.

I created this last week for my 8-month old and she loved it.

2 - 4 toddler serves, suitable to freeze
My (nearly) 9 month old daughter really enjoys this simple and quick recipe. Lots of cooing from her - and from me as it is quick, healthy and colourful.

Tofu and veggie 'confetti'

1 medium carrot grated
1 medium zucchini grated
1/3 medium red capsicum grated
100-120g of silken tofu
1-2 teaspoons of olive or vegetable oil

Place oil into a heated pan. Add the grated vegetables and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally. Then add the tofu and mix through. The juices from the vegetables flavour the tofu beautifully. Makes two good serves.

Tuna and Asparagus patties

Preparation time: 5minutes
Cooking: 20minutes
Makes: 12-14 medium patties

Ingredients:

1x 425g Tuna
1x can of Asparagus
2x eggs
1.5 cups of flour
1x cup of grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
A sprinkle of All Seasons spice (if you want for extra taste)
2tbs of olive oil

1. In a mixing bowl place the drained tuna and asparagus in and add the eggs, flour, both lots of cheeses and the spices (if you want), mix them all very well to combine everything.

2. Place the oil in your fry pan which should be on high heat at first and turned down to medium heat when you think is necessary

3. Once the fry pan is hot scoop out a tablespoon of mixture and put it into the pan (you should be able to do about 6 or 7 patties at a time) flip it over to brown the other side so both sides are brown, repeat with the rest of the mixture.

4. Place the patties onto some paper towelling so it can soak up any oil which might be still on the patties.

My kids and husband love this recipe and want me to make them at least 2 times a week, I hope your kids love them too 8-)

Josie, Qld, Dylan 3yrs & Gemma 22mths

Here's a fantastic soup, fantastic for the whole family, particulary during those cold winter months.

Yummy yummy Vegie Soup.

Ingredients:
1 leek
2 medium carrots
2 medium potatoes
1/2 sweet potato
1 cup brocolli florets
1 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup split peas
3 bacon rashers, diced
fresh basil leaves
water

Method:
Roughly chop all the vegetables. Cook the leek and bacon in a large soup pot. When cooked add all the remaining vegetables to the pot and enough water to cover. Bring to the boil then simmer until
vegetables are cooked through and the split peas are tender. Remove from heat and pour into blender. Blend soup in batches to the desired consistency. (I make this less smooth as my daughter gets older and can manage chunckier food). Return the soup to the pan and gently reheat before serving and enjoying.

Alternatives:
You can use any vegetables that are in season or that are your family's favourites.
I use water but you could substitute this with a low salt vegetable stock if you like.

THis sounds really simple - and it is, which makes it a really quick, healthy meal to throw together and that the whole family can enjoy. My eight month old daughter Keira loves it.
I hope everyone else does as well.

Tiffany, mum of Keira, 8 months.

Tiffany, WA

Sign in to follow this topic