Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Christmas Chat
  5. Christmas tree or no Christmas tree...

Christmas tree or no Christmas tree... Lock Rss

Hi girls, just wondering if you put your Christmas trees up when you had toddlers around? My girl will be just 12 months when Christmas is here and she is already walking so I'm not sure if we should put it up or not.

The only reasons really are that I am afraid she will pull on it and pull it over, we can only put a half to a quater of it up in this house because it is so big! Lol. So it kind of sits flat to the wall and I am afraid it will be top heavy if she pulls at it... Also the baubles etc. I know we can put those higher so she can't reach but even shaking the tree they come off and they are all nice ones made of breakable glass etc so I don't want her to cut herself.

I am with her all the time, and would never leave her unsupervised but I really don't feel like saying 'no' a million times a day and steering my patty throwing baby away from the tree when she gets tired of not being able to investigate it smile

Long post for a simple topic! So what did/ do you do?

Thank you! smile

LHB

I just put baby friendly decorations at the bottom. We always have a real tree so it is tied to the wall at the top anyway. I also put a couple of fire screens around the bottom.
I would put one up. Kids love Christmas trees with all the decorations and lights. Mine loved it at that age! Either put things on the bottom of the tree which aren't going to break or leave the bottom of the tree bare and put all the decorations up the top.
I brought a small tree that i can put up high. You can only put a few things on it but at least the kids can't pull at it. And they get to enjoy the lights.

We have decided for the next two years we won't be having the tree up! DD will be 17months this Christmas and next year our DS will be 12 months.

My MIL had a good suggestion of just hanging up decorations and putting up some lights somewhere just for the house to feel christmasy, so we will be doing that.

I think I'll be saying no too many times of we put up the tree and I will be constantly picking up baubles!

Hi girls, just wondering if you put your Christmas trees up when you had toddlers around? My girl will be just 12 months when Christmas is here and she is already walking so I'm not sure if we should put it up or not.

The only reasons really are that I am afraid she will pull on it and pull it over, we can only put a half to a quater of it up in this house because it is so big! Lol. So it kind of sits flat to the wall and I am afraid it will be top heavy if she pulls at it... Also the baubles etc. I know we can put those higher so she can't reach but even shaking the tree they come off and they are all nice ones made of breakable glass etc so I don't want her to cut herself.

I am with her all the time, and would never leave her unsupervised but I really don't feel like saying 'no' a million times a day and steering my patty throwing baby away from the tree when she gets tired of not being able to investigate it smile

Long post for a simple topic! So what did/ do you do?

Thank you! smile

we just put our playpen around it I have a 2 1/2 and a 1/12 yr old

when dd1 was young, we put the decorations up a little higher so she couldn't reach them (she was 10mths old at the time) and we actually had a fire guard around the tree so she couldn't get to it. we hung the stockings on the fire guard to make it look christmassy and we moved the guard away in the morning.
We put the playpen around our Christmas tree when the kids were that age, like others have said smile

It was great, we could leave the presents under it and everything. Probably my biggest worry with the kids around the Christmas tree was that they could pull it over by grabbing the branches. The playpen fixed everything!

We have decided for the next two years we won't be having the tree up! DD will be 17months this Christmas and next year our DS will be 12 months.

My MIL had a good suggestion of just hanging up decorations and putting up some lights somewhere just for the house to feel christmasy, so we will be doing that.

I think I'll be saying no too many times of we put up the tree and I will be constantly picking up baubles!

they may surprise you. wink
had a play pen around it for the last few years. Planning on doing the same for a few years yet smile
we only put the tree up about a week before christmas, presents under it christmas eve (hide them in the shed or our room until then), and take the pen away christmas eve night so the kids can see it all in the morning and get some nice photos and the kids can get to the presents, and then take the tree down once they're in bed christmas night. smile
Thanks for all the replies, we have a tiny little town house so a play pen doesn't fit and we don't have one because of that reason smile .

I love Christmas so am feeling a bit sad at the thought of possibly not putting the tree up, but it seems like most of you do so maybe we will just give it a try...we can always take it down if it becomes too painful.

Maybe we can just get some cheap decorations to put on for a couple of years too.

Thanks girls, much appreciated!

LHB

Thanks for all the replies, we have a tiny little town house so a play pen doesn't fit and we don't have one because of that reason smile .

I love Christmas so am feeling a bit sad at the thought of possibly not putting the tree up, but it seems like most of you do so maybe we will just give it a try...we can always take it down if it becomes too painful.

Maybe we can just get some cheap decorations to put on for a couple of years too.

Thanks girls, much appreciated!

I know its not the same but could u decorate a tree outside instead

Sign in to follow this topic