Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Christmas Chat
  5. what are you spending this xmas in kids

what are you spending this xmas in kids Lock Rss

I'm just curious what others are looking at spending on their kiddies for xmas.

I thought i was being generous with setting a budget of $200 for my DD but looks like we maybe get away for with it for $150. she has asks for specific items this year...first time:

-dora castle- i have no idea what this is or if dora has a castle on the market
- a kite
-a pogo stick....thats not happening
-and some barbie items

very easy list to fillfull for a good budget!! very lucky DD is 3 and a half...i'm sure xmas is only going to get more expensive from here on in blink

but when i hear what friends are spending on their young kids i am shocked...$600+ each i'm not sure i could justify this for DD...but each to their own hey smile

laugh my DD is 3.5yrs and every Christmas so far I've spent $800 - $1000 on her! This year will be the same, possibly a bit more because there's lost of things I want to get her haha

This is DSs first chrissy and I'll probably spend around $500 on him because he has heaps of stuff already and doesn't need alot given that he's only 8.5 months grin

Poor DH, I'm sure he hates looking at out bank account at this time of year laugh laugh

Each to their own though smile
DS1 we've spent about 300 - he'll be 5 in Jan and yes it seems to get much more expensive each year!!!
DD and DS2 probably around 200 each.
I've been much stricter on myself this year, and haven't been buying random toys just because we were at the shops, so DH and I decided we would spend a bit more than anticipated for chrissy.
And none of them are getting what they asked for cause i had already put laybys on by the time it occurred to them to ask for things!!! smile
If you change your mind on the pogo stick Aldi are selling them. My little sister is getting one. smile

My sonn will only be 4 and a half months I have spent around $150 on him and thes pressies are things such as feeding sets, books and essentials. As kids our sticking stuffers were always essential items so they would be used and not wasted money as we grew they became more age appropriate. I still get a new Venus Razor every year and a couple of boxes of replacement heads I LOVE IT!
Good question, I have been wondering the same wink

With my dd, she is only 15 months, can't ask for anything and doesn't need anything! She has far too many toys everywhere (gifts from people) so I didn't want to buy her any more " small" toys, only bigger practical things smile well, first I got her a big chalkboard easel (about $170 cos I wanted it to last her and our bub on the way), then I got the fisher price kitchen ($50) cos it was too cute and I thought she'd love it and I bought a tea set to go with it. I bought a $10 cleaning set (mop, broom, dust pan and brush) because she's obsessed with helping me clean lol was thinking that was enough but after buying all the toys for my nieces, nephews and friends kids, felt bad cos I had spent more on them combined than on dd, got the guilts so went on eBay last night and got a package of little tikes play equipment I'd had my eye on for $300 second hand but new it would be about 800 and I would not spend that and it looks almost new smile

Sorry for the essay, in answer to your question we spent about 500 or so but only cos I got the guilts laugh

so far I have spent about $90 all up! A few things more to buy like a new wetsuit for each.We are not spending a fortune this year and haven't in the past either.
The boys get new cricket gear etc as they need it and we are not into just buying stuff for the sake of it.We are having a family 2 night get away between 19-21 december and I have told the kids its part of their christmas present. We're then going away from the 24th to about 28th/29th to a sils family property. Then a late xmas gathering with my side of the family on the 1st of January.Between all the family the kids get way more than they need.Santa gets the glory here anyway(wont last much longer I guess)
Mil wasn't going to get any pressies for the grandkids as she gave $500 to each grandchild from late fil's bank account after he passed.I think a sil must have said something because when she got off the phone from talking to sil,she said to me to order some books off a website for the boys from her and she'd give me the money.The 3 books cost $27 all together but is something they will love and means a little something from nanna to unwrap on xmas day.

sorry I hijacked the thread but we will probably spend about $100-$150 max each as have avoided all the electronic gadgets as long as possible.They all have a ds and that's it, no playstations etc here.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

laugh my DD is 3.5yrs and every Christmas so far I've spent $800 - $1000 on her! This year will be the same, possibly a bit more because there's lost of things I want to get her haha

This is DSs first chrissy and I'll probably spend around $500 on him because he has heaps of stuff already and doesn't need alot given that he's only 8.5 months grin

Poor DH, I'm sure he hates looking at out bank account at this time of year laugh laugh

Each to their own though smile

are they big ticket items that make is more expensive...like swing sets or bikes?
like last year DD got a tampoline...so that was $300 then we bought her toys as well so i guess that was an expensive xmas...but not sure i could find room for $600+ worth of random small toys

our DD is getting a big trampoline ($249) from us and a bunch of presents from santa...already got her a barbie salon thing, a abbey caddabey leggo set, new bedding set thrown in there lol and we will get her a few more toys!

we just bought her a new carseat today also and buying xmas presents for my family and their kids so the shops r loving us lol!!!

Anyhow I really hope she loves this xmas last one wasnt so big.... they seem to get more and more of a thing as they grow up i think!

are they big ticket items that make is more expensive...like swing sets or bikes?
like last year DD got a tampoline...so that was $300 then we bought her toys as well so i guess that was an expensive xmas...but not sure i could find room for $600+ worth of random small toys

Mmm the only big ticket thing she has really gotten is a trampoline which cost just over $400 last christmas... She's getting a swing set this year I think (haven't done alot of shopping as yet lol) I just buy heaps of toys, clothes, hair stuff anything really that I know she will love! It's so awesome seeing her face when she's sees all the presents haha. I do a big toy cull right before xmas and we donate all her old stuff to the kids hospital or I advertise them for free on gumtree/fb etc so we always have space for all the new stuff grin
I think all up we have spent about $200 (and $100 of that is clothes) on DS. He really REALLY doesn't need anything...We live in a unit with no yard so most big ticket items are out of the question.

We got him;

A smart trike
Things for the sand (Bucket, spade, shovel)
Pyjamas
Clothes
One of those 'bash the mole' type toys
A reindeer 'pillow pet'
Some animal books

I still want to get him a few 'My first Christmas' keepsakes but they wont be very dear. Lots of things I had thought of getting him for christmas our IL's had already bought...like learning books and feeding sets.

I just cant justify spending heaps on him...He is much more content to play with the remote control than any of his toys. With his first birthday just 3 weeks after christmas he will be getting loads of stuff then from all the rellies.
Sand and water table $25
Inflatable pool $10 (to put the table in for extra fun play!)
Justine clarke dvds $21 (jb had 20% off so I got 2 yay!)
Trolley & plastic food $20
Plastic bangles $2 (she's developed a love of jewellery much younger than I expected!)
Crayons $3

So all up $80 - stoked!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

all i have brought for my son is a "2011" keepsake from target for $13.
being nearly five months of age by christmas - he has no idea what christmas is about so i don't see any point in spending a lot of money. if we need or want anything for him, we buy it. i usually only buy educational toys/books etc.

as my daughters grew up, i tired of seeing them play with an expensive toy for 2 minutes and then losing interest. so i dedcided that at christmas, i would buy what i wanted for them - books/arts and crafts stuff/board games, anything scientific or outdoors equipment. therefore they could be creative / have family time and not be in front of the TV. bout a hundred dollar limit on them - not including new clothes
more emphasis for their birthdays as i believe that is more a special day than christmas, i would ask them to tell me three things they would like and i would buy one. i would also make a birthday cake of their choice and they would have a party of their choice whether fancy dress,slumber,ten pin bowling / pizza hut etc.
Sign in to follow this topic