Huggies Forum

Question about baking soda and powder Lock Rss

hi
I dont think they are the same thing, or work the same as baking soda is quite a lot more expensive than baking powder!
You know, i always wonder what the difference is (have never found out) and if they can be used in place of each other. I always want to make banana cake, but i only hvae baking powder at home, so i never end up making it cuz i dont know if it can be sub.

Ill be watching this, maybe i can FINALLY make a banana cake!! grin
Baking powder is a mix of baking soda (or bicarb soda) and Cream of Tartar. You should be able to substitute no problem. Texture might be slightly different though.

Petal, NSW, Mini Cooper 10.3.07

Are you using sr flour? If it's just plain flour you're using you might need slightly more baking powder. If you're using sr flour the extra baking soda is just to give it an extra boost so shouldn't matter too much.

Petal, NSW, Mini Cooper 10.3.07

I dont know the difference between baking powder and soda but on the container of baking powder I have it says you can make self raising flour by adding 2 teaspoons of baking powder to 1 cup of plain flour. So baking powder is the rising agent.

I have a box of Bi-Carb Soda which has Baking soda written underneath it and all it tells me is that you can use it to soak up smells in the fridge etc.

I think the soda leans towards making things a bit more light and airy without using a rising agent.

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

wait wait wait! I'd strongly suggest you google it (i'd do it for you but have to run!) but i have a vague recollection that one is acid and one is alkali and they balance each other out in recipes, rather than do the same thing smile
oh whoops, ha you already did - nice one!
I vaguely remember something we did in 3rd form science (Year 9 these days!!) and one raises when you add water and one when you add heat, only problem is I can't remember which way round it was! grin I successfully make my own baking powder when I've run out, but have never tried replacing baking soda with anything else.
Sign in to follow this topic