Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Cou Cous Lock Rss

Hi Everyone.

I have cous cous in the cupboard but have never cooked with it. I know I like it but don't know what to do with it.

Any ideas would be great for salads or sides for meals. Thank you
I make a really yum cous cous salad, its got couscous, tomato, basil, spinach, lemon, garlic in it. I think another variation also has onion or pinenuts in it.

I also found a recipe online last night for lemoncurd and sultana couscous cake! Going to try that one this week, sounded really interesting smile
I used to chef for a Tunisian. He was really adament to rub every grain with oil first. About a teaspoon of oil olive for every cup. He used his hands to rub it in, but it sticks and gets everywhere! So I use a spoon.
And the water must be freshly boiled. Just cover the cous cous with water and cover for 5 minutes or so, then run a fork through to lossen it all up, make it nice a fluffy.

I mix it with cumin, natural yoghurt and tuna for the baby.
Use it was stuffing for a chicken.
Add lots of fresh parsley, some onion and tomatos for a 'tabouli'
Just plain instead of rice.

ps.I also use quinoa much the same. I like it more as cous cous is made from wheat and I like to diversity our diets away from that. Just boil quinoa till it 'explodes' - the granules open up.
I boil up some water in a sauce pan...add salt and a dash of olive oil.... when its boiling I take it off the heat and add the cous cous. I let it soak up all the water then add a dob of butter and stir it over the hotplate until it looks smooth and nice.
I served it for tea tonite with chicken/chorizo/black olive caassarole that I made in the slow cooker.
laugh
I cook it as mentioned by the others above. Sometimes I use stock instead of just plain water

It's great instead of rice/pasta/potato with any meal really and it's so quick to do!

Hi Everyone.

I have cous cous in the cupboard but have never cooked with it. I know I like it but don't know what to do with it.

Any ideas would be great for salads or sides for meals. Thank you

what kind of cous cous? there is the "instant" kind which is the type most people have and then there is a type that is like pearl shape and a bit creamy coles sells it and it has some french cheif on it, I would check it out cos it is YUM better then the "instant" stuff this is raw real cous cous

what kind of cous cous? there is the "instant" kind which is the type most people have and then there is a type that is like pearl shape and a bit creamy coles sells it and it has some french cheif on it, I would check it out cos it is YUM better then the "instant" stuff this is raw real cous cous

Thanks everyone for your help.

It is san remo plain cous cous.

Im gonna try it our tonight with a piece of fish. Shall see how we go smile
Hi,
Not sure how old your kids are, but have just starting adding to my daughter's (10mth old) meals, its another texture for them to experiment with. Otherwise we have it as a side dish usually, or in a salad with char grilled vegies.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Sign in to follow this topic