Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Salad Recipes for Christmas Lock Rss

Hi smile
I'm looking to do some different salad recipes other than the standard lettuce tomato and cucumber. Yes I know not very inspiring. I'd love some hot or cold recipes to go with cold roast chicken and ham. My kids will usually give anything a go.
Thanks
cos lettuce
bacon
grilled or pan fried chicken breast shredded
parmeson cheese
croutons
egg
and ceaser salad dressing (mummy brand sorry- the brand that has always donated to charity)
This year I'm making:
Crunchy Asian Salad
Roast pumpkin, spinach & pinenut salad
Bean Salad (like the one kfc used to have many moons ago and should never have taken off the menu. Grrr!)
There's prob going to be some left over tomato mixture from the bruschetta too.

You could have a look at taste.com.au for inspiration.

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

a normal garden salad in our house is usually

cherry tomatoes halved
lettuce
cubed cheese
capsicum
red onion
thin carrot strips
cucumber

for a greek salad

6 firm ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
3 Lebanese cucumbers, coarsely chopped
1 red onion, sliced into rings
1 red capsicum, halved, deseeded, coarsely chopped
200g marinated Greek olives
220g marinated feta, coarsely chopped
1 tsp dried Greek oregano
1 tsp salt
125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
60ml (1/4 cup) white vinegar
and sprinkle with oregano and salt
Mix:
Tri-coloured pasta spirals
Char-grilled veggies, chopped (capsicum/zucchini/eggplant - I usually buy a mixed jar from woolies)
Semi/sun-dried tomatoes
Marinated mushrooms
Shaved salami chopped into small strips
Cubed fetta
Dressed with 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing mixed with a generous tablespoon of basil pesto.
Yum smile
I make a cous cous one, make some cous cous up with water. Mix in some canned drained chick peas. Dice up some red capsicum, tomato, cucumber, red onion and flat leaf parsley. Mix it through. Mix up a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Let it sit for awhile and it's yummo. Also as PP has suggested, the watermelon one is good too.
Caramelized pear, blue cheese and macadamia is yummy. Happy to share if you are interested.
We've got a few faves

Roasted pumpkin, baby spinach, fetta, pinenuts, cherry tomato, spanish onion (have to toast the pinenuts) with Paul Newman classic dressing

Crispy Noodles, 4 leaf lettuce mix, tomato, spanish onion, finely sliced carrot - with same dressing as above

Haloumi Salad - Roasted pumpkin cubes, green beans, baby capers, cherry tomatoes, spanish onion, haloumi sliced and pan fried in olive oil till golden brown (have to blanch the beans, drain & dry)

For Christmas we have to have a potato salad... this one is really nice (we dont put the boiled egg on top, eww)

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/24537/classic+potato+salad

Hi there,
A potato salad is always a favourite and is quick and easy.
Another favourite in my house is a watermelon and feta salad (a Nigella Lawson recipe), sounds odd but is really yummy.
Fresh corn off the cob makes an interesting addition to a normal boring salad.
Good luck.

Hi can I please have the watermelon and feta salad recipe sounds very yum smile

Caramelized pear, blue cheese and macadamia is yummy. Happy to share if you are interested.

Yes please smile Also what do you usually serve with it? Thanks

This year I'm making:
Crunchy Asian Salad
Roast pumpkin, spinach & pinenut salad
Bean Salad (like the one kfc used to have many moons ago and should never have taken off the menu. Grrr!)
There's prob going to be some left over tomato mixture from the bruschetta too.

You could have a look at taste.com.au for inspiration.

I absolutely love bean salad do you want to share your recipe or is it a secret smile Thanks for your ideas!
Thanks everyone for the great salad recipes. You have all given me great ideas for Christmas and the New Year.

Layla22 I haven't tried the Changs noodle salad but it sounds Yum and something the kids will love. Thanks smile

HappyHead Your recipes look yummy and I agree with you on the No egg on the potato salad. smile

Sarah A I've never had couscous so I might give your recipe a try Thanks smile

amm17 My kids love pasta so I'll definately be trying yours over the holiday season. smile

Candie&Damien+3 Thanks for your recipes I love that the Greek one you've given the recipe to make the dressing. Thanks smile
Sign in to follow this topic