Huggies Forum

Dairy free ideas Lock Rss

Anyone here have some yummy dairy free recipes? I'm going dairy free to try and clear up DD's rash. It seems to be working so far so looks like it might be a long term thing.

I'm mostly after ideas for lunch, snacks and sweet stuff, but any dinner stuff would be great too smile

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

Oh zinkles! I was just thinking it had been some time since you had been on and your last post was that poor dd was not very well!

Don't have any advice on the dairy free sorry, other than to say you might take a look at some vegan sites for inspiration and this might help too http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/spotligh...

Good luck

My father is allergic to dairy. He gets dairy free butter from woolworths and uses oat milk. It's so easy with what's available now, just sub dairy free butter, oat milk (or soy, almond etc) and soy cheese into normal recipes. It tastes no different and comes with no extra difficulties.
Look in the health food section at your local supermarket for pre-packaged food, our woolworths, coles, iga and food works all have dairy free biscuits and sweets.
Quite often with foods home brands are diary free, just check the ingredient list first. It seems in cost cutting they like to take out milk.

Hope all is well.
Hi shine*on smile Yeah, things aren't the best here at the moment. DD's cough has gone, so we should finally be able to get her immunisations this week - 3 weeks late :/
Her rash was looking heaps better yesterday, but has flared up again this morning. So it could be something else as well as dairy! Hooray....

Thanks Ameliajade smile I'm using soy/almond milk and dairy free spread at the moment. I've done some baking and they have turned out fine so far. I hadn't heard of soy cheese, so will definitely check that out.
I just hope they have some here. Where I live isn't very big, so our selection is fairly limited. Our health food section is pathetic sad

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

I don't know if you have thought of this or if it is an option for you. but what about putting her on an allergy free formula. And then when she is older then try work out what she is allergic too?

I hope things improve for you. big hugs!!!
Paperclip - I have thought of that thanks. I'm not sure where you would get it from though. Would you have to get a prescription?
It turns out I accidentally ate something with butter in it (it had 'butter replacer', but further down the ingredient list it also had butter!), so it looks like it definitely is dairy.
I'm going to breastfeed for as long as I can hack it, but I'm not sure how long I can handle not eating anything with even a tiny bit of dairy in it. It's in everything!

You can buy these ones from countdown
Karicare Gold Stage 1 & 2 Starter Aptamil De Lact
S26 Gold Starter Soy

But I have heard that soy is not always suitable for babies with dairy allergies.
Plunket nurse might have more suggestions?

I commend you for keeping up breastfeeding. Hopefully you can find things to eat that are convenient and tasty.
Taking my hat off to you Zinkles, I did dairy free for a couple of months while bf/expressing and it was sooo hard, you're right, traces of dairy is in everything! (All my fav foods) Can't believe she still has a rash, it's been weeks now sad

Just had a thought, it wouldn't be something in the washing powder of her clothes that's irritating her skin?

Your GP could do a referral to your local dhb to do allergy testing, or go private if that's an option if it's just not going away. Throwing some baking soda in her bath might help reduce it too temporarily?

And just realised that had nothing to do with your post asking for dairy free ideas.....

Ummm.. Carrot sticks and hummus!?
Thanks for that paperclip. It's reassuring to know that I can get my hands on it easily if I do decide to stop breastfeeding.

Thanks nursenellie, it's really hard! I'm going to a barbecue for something tonight and I'm worried I won't be able to eat anything sad
I eat things that 'may contain traces of dairy'. We have a friend who is deathly allergic to nuts and she eats things that 'may contain traces of nuts'. She says it's just the companies covering their bums just in case.

It's not anything in the washing powder or clothes because it's not all over her body. It's on her face, head, neck, under her chin, with only a few spots on the top of her chest and back. It started on her forehead and spread from there.

When the GP suggested I eliminate things from my diet he said that if I can't figure it out on my own he will refer us to a paediatrician, so we have that up our sleeve if necessary.

I got some hummus the other day smile But even then I had to be careful what one to get because some of them had dairy in them!!

Saw this and thought of you
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/10336333/Re...
Oh no Zinkles hope you can work it out for sure and it clears up soon.
I'm thinking about cutting dairy too. Harrison is really gassy and it seems to cause him a lot of pain. I burp him really well but there's always still more that goes through his gut and he is always farting and they're not cute little baby farts they're big loud vibrating stinky farts! They make him cry like a painful squealy cry. If it wasn't for the horrible cry I think it would be quite funny. He honestly puts his Dad to shame with his monster farts!
Infants friend and infacol don't seem to help so I think cutting dairy is the next step then other things if that doesn't work. I hope it helps because I really don't want to cut out coffee and that would be next!!
Sounds like its pretty hard to do though!

Sign in to follow this topic