Huggies Forum

Friends who don't have kids Rss

Hello Everyone!
Is anyone else out there sometimes annoyed at your friends who don't have children?
For example friends come over and they don't leave until late even though I'm sitting there yawning, I feel they are being inconsiderate at the fact my day starts about 6am when my baby wakes up. They don't realise that my job is full time 24 hrs a day. Or is it because I'm jealous that I can't stay up and enjoy the company and conversation? Most of the time with visitors I have to excuse myself and go to bed which I feel is a bit rude. But isn't it annoying when someone is talking at the top of their voice or laughing loudly and wakes up the baby then you get stuck with the hard work of settling them back to sleep. Or comments people make like "I'm glad I don't have to change nappies" I can't wait until these people have kids then maybe they would understand why I'm more serious and less fun then before.
That's just something I had to get of my chest, does anyone else feel the same?................

Vic, 3 y.o boy

Hi Scorpion,
I know exactly how you feel especially about the fact that if someone wakes the baby it is you that has to tend to them, it makes me furious. I also hate the fact I feel like the baby has to be on his best behaviour when we have visitors or go some where as people are judding him and me as a mother. Even though he is a really good baby.
Feels good to get things off your chest sometimes hey

sulee,nsw,babyb'day15/8/2003

Most of our friends have kids but there are a few who don't. The thing that annoys me most?... when they ring up and say 'we haven't seen you for ages, we should catch up, we are about to go to the movies want to join us?' All I want to say is 'How stupid are you?!!! The thing is that they always seem genuinely suprised when we explain why we need a bit of notice to organize this kind of thing! Pretty funny hey?!

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Hi Sandra,

You know sometimes it not just friends without kids, it can be friends with kids but different lifestyles! My best friend lives in Singapore. She has a 16 month old girl. She doesn't work, she has a maid and everything is done for her. I work full time, have a 2.5 yr old son, and am 29 weeks pregnant. My friend and her husband are over for a visit and we are trying to spend as much time with them as possible, but they make it so hard. They came up to our house for a visit, and wouldn't leave. My son refused his nap until they left and I kept telling them that he wouldn't go down but they stayed and stayed and stayed. I wanted to buy something for lunch but they insisted I cook them bacon and eggs and now when we meet up they insist that they can't come out to see us as it is too far (about a 40 minute drive - they have a car) so we either have to go to them or meet somewhere in the middle. I get so frustrated as they are on holidays with nothing to do and expect me to run after them all the time. Luckily they go back at the end of the week as I'm utterly exhausted! So the moral to this story is that it isn't always the friends without kids, I think it is the people themselves that determine whether or not they are easy to catch up with.

Yvette

I hear you!!!!!!!

Its not just the friends though it can be anyone, even grandparents. The other night my little one missed his afternoon nap, around 3-4 he usually has a catnap. Anyway after his bath he was ready to go down around 7:00 then the doorbell rings, it was the grandparents. What annoyed me is they said "he looks a little tired" to which i replied " he is very tired and i was just about to put him down"
"oh no" they said " dont do that we want to play" My husband then joins in , yeah its early ive hardly seen him either"

so im thinking am i crazy or have they completely missed the point????

Aaaaaaaaaaarcccch i just wanted to scream.

It is sooooo nice to get things off your chest and speak to other mums who understand smile

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

Dear Helen,
I can sympathise with that as when my son is sleeping and my mother in law comes over she goes into his room every five minutes to look at him...like shes never seen him before!..insists on disturbing him whilst I'm screeming inside my head rolling my eyes and biting my tongue...ahhhh!!

Vic, 3 y.o boy

Hi Helen,

What is it with Gradparents. Mine say there stopping in at a particular time so I try and keep my son up but they are NEVER on time. He gets grumpy I get him to bed then they turn up and the first thing they say is "where's the boy!"

Awwwwww. It drives me crazy sometimes.
Hi everyone

About 18mths ago i would have to say I was the annoying inconsiderate friend how hung around. but nobody ever said to me do you mind if i go to bed and i didnt really think much of it.
now that im a mum its a whole new ballgame. i feel awful now when their kids make noise while my bub tries to sleep.

oh well what goes around comes around i spose.

guess i wasnt a very observant friend to them when i was childless.

altho i never expected them to drop what they were doing and come out with me for a nite on the town.

the only reason grandparents fuss over babies is because they know they can and most of the time us mums do hold our tonges.
they are like little kids with a new toy sometimes and i wouldnt want it any other way smile

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

I just wanted to add that i can relate to both sides.

and yes it can be very annoying . espesially when we get lack of sleep ourselves.

BUT, not saying how you feel doesnt help, try to drop a subtle hint. or you can be like me and just tell them, smile blunt and straight to the point is my moto smile

Hi Chelby

I must admit I too am guilty of being the inconsiderate childless adult at one point or another. I am not so guilty of visiting my friends with kids and forgetting to leave. We, hubby and I kind of never really made a huge effort in getting together with our friends with kids because in 'our ' minds it was always the 'same excuse' . "Need more notice to organise a baby sitter". Well Daaaaaaaa of course it was always the same excuse and a very valid one!!!! But you really dont understand when you dont have kids yourself its human nature i guess.

As for the grandparents , my in-laws. The thing that kills it is that they are home all day, they are retired. So this means they could come and play with their grandson all day and any time. I would be happy to even let them babysit so I can do my shopping or even get a hair-cut ! My poor head hasnt seen the inside of a salon for donkey's years. But they come at night ??!! I am sure there is something wrong with me. I will stop talking now!!LOL

Thanks mummies for listening smile smile

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

Hello Sandra

I know we don't like to be rude to our friends but if your friends can't take the hint made you should say politely of course look I don't mean to be rude but could we call it a night I am really tired!

something along those lines!

good luck

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Just a thought

Elena does your hubby work dayshift.
maybe your in laws like to see their own son aswell.
it doesnt matter how much your in laws love u , they still hate not seeing their own kids.
i know my mum would be disappointed if i wasnt home and they missed seeing me. as much as they like my partner. its not the same.

My ears are always open.
i prefer to listen than to talk most of the time. smile

Sign in to follow this topic