Huggies Forum

Thumb in mouth help! Rss

Hi its lucy here. I have a big problem. My son is nearly one does not take a dummy only his thumb what do i do? He just loves it in his mouth no stop.
hi lucy my son also much prefers his fingers or thumb to the dummy these days. is he teething? i wouldn't be too concerned as he is only twelve months old. i think let it go for awhile he might stop by himself.

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Hi Lucy,

How is your son's speech? If his speech is progressing normally I wouldn't worry about it. Is he in daycare? If he is, just let them know of your concerns and they may be able to give you something to read about thumb sucking. But again, it's really early days.

Lisa,NSW,6mth baby

My oldest son sucked his thumb until he was 4, and my daughter sucked her fingers until the same age. I actually found it better than the dummy because I didn't have to constantly find it, or put it back in their mouths. It didn't take them that long to stop once we decided that enough was enough.
I think that at 12 months, you really don't have a lot to worry about. However, if you do have some real major concerns, then I can write back and tell you how we conquered it.

Lyndal, ACT, 6yo boy, 5yo girl, 8wk boy

Hi Lucy,
As a baby I never had a dummy, I preferred my thumbs. It never interferred with my development and didn't have teeth problems as an adult. My advice is don't worry about it for the time being as it is your sons comfort and security 'blanket'.
If he wants to suck it let him be, no point making a fuss at this stage as he won't stop doing it and doesn't really understand what wrong with it.

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

Hi Lucy...

I am the proud mum of a 16 month old gorgeous little boy. I tossed Matthew's dummies when he was 8 weeks old, and he took to his thumb. I was glad that he did, as I didn't have to do the dummy run at all hours of the night, and he was very content to suck his thumb for comfort. He is still sucking it to this day. He doesn't suck it all the time, and it doesn't seem to have impaired his speech development. He mainly sucks it when he is tired or upset.....it's soothing for him. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I have spoken to a child health nurse who has assured me that it won't affect his teeth, and that he will grow out of it when he is ready. A thumb is cleaner than a dummy.......and you don't have to keep on buying them every time they get misplaced. I'm not concerened about Matty sucking his thumb....I would rather him suck his thumb than a dummy any day.

With Kind regards,

Trudie
Toowoomba, QLD
mum of Matthew, 16 months old
I think dummies are great if you are prepared to keep track of them.

I gave my twins dummies when they were about 2 weeks old for my sanity more than anything else and at around 7 months I realised they really didn't need them as they weren't sucking them at night, or much during the day but it did allow me a few extra minutes to settle one and go to the next baby.

My daughter preferred her own thumb anyway and I agree that she really only sucks it when she is tired or upset and I can live with that. It also seems to settle her when she has to wait her turn especially during feed times.

Hi Luvy,

After reading your message i had to laugh, i used to stuck my thumb till the age of 6!! Yep it's true and after all those years oneday i just stop on my own. Now my little girl is doing the same, she doesn;t mind the dummy but sometimes i catch her finger in her mouth. I think it's cute but most people will tell you it ruins their teeth. I read somewhere if you want them to stop try and ofer a soft toy that's ok to put in their mouth as a security. Don't know if it works though...

Good luck Lucy

LB,NSW

a friend of mine at school sucked her thum through highschool and she needed braces i would not allow my daughter to suck her thumb its all personal preferance.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi,
I sucked my thumb as a child until I was 5 1/2 years old, and I have perfectly straight teeth. A friend of mine had a dummy, and she needed braces, however my daughter (now 8years old), never sucked her thumb, or had a dummy, and she now has to wear a plate with the possibilities of braces in a few years, so with respect to those who believe thumb sucking causes dental problems, I don't think it is going to harm them, unless they are still sucking their thumbs at 8 or 9 years old.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi there Lucy
I know that this is pretty sad but I am nearly 20 and I still sick my thumb. I know gross ha. But I have never grown out of the habit. I mean I don't fall asleep with it in my mouth but I watch TV or something like that with my finger in my mouth. My son doesn't suck his thumb.
But I guess no matter what age you are there is always something that you still find as a comfort
Mel

mel, qld, tristan 4

Sign in to follow this topic