Huggies Forum

A little help please Lock Rss

Hi Everyone!

Just thought I would share my story with you and that maybe you could give me some advice. On Tuesday I was driving home from playgroup on a gravel road around 5 mins from my house. I lost control of the car and over corrected the skid, ploughed through a fence into a paddock and landed in a dam. The water came rushing into the car so quickly by the time I had turned around to check the kids the water was already chest high on my 12 month old. I reached across and unbuckled him and dragged him in the front with me, got out of the car, opened up the back passenger door and got my three yr old out and threw him out of the car and onto the embankment. I had real trouble getting myself out of the dam as I kept sinking into the mud and couldn't get a foothold and kept sliding deeper into the water. I threw my baby in front of me thinking that if he slid back down he would slide into me and not the water. I finally managed to get out, put both of them over the fence, climbed over the fence and started walking down the road until I could flag down a car. None of us were hurt apart from a few large bruises on me and some now appearing on my baby. The car was completely submerged in the dam within seconds of me getting the kids out of the car. I was terrified but grateful I had got my babies out.

My problem at the moment is I am having terrible flashbacks about what happened. I can still hear myself and my babies screaming, I can still see the water rushing in the car and was wondering if anyone else out there had been through a traumatic experience like this and how they dealt with it.

Thanks

Kirsty, VIC, 03.03.03 and 25.02.05

i'm sorry i'm not going to be any help as i have never experienced anything like that before. It was only a few days ago so not that i'm an expert or anything, but sounds to me like what you are experiencing sounds normal. It must have been pretty traumatic, especially with your 2 children with you. You must be so thankful that no one was hurt, and so lucky it seems you got out just in time. How are your children now? Does your three year old seem to be affected by it at all?

Take care

2 yrs

Hi kirsty...
So sorry to hear you had to go through that. I dont know what I would have done if i was in your situation.

The only thing I can suggest is councelling.

When I was 38 weeks pregnant I was in a jewellery store with my hubby (he worked there)when the doors were closed and then was broken into by 3 guys with axes. They lifted the shutters and broke the glass sliding doors and jumped ontop of the cabinets and took what they could. They screamed at us all and told us to get down. I was so scared I ran to the back and locked myself in the toilet.
I just thought of the worst.

Well that night and for the next 6 months or so i was getting flash backs all most all the time. It was such a bad experience, my GP said its probably why bella was 10 days early and so he sent me to coucelling. I went for a few sessions, and found it helped me get over it.

Not sure if its any help....
I wish you and your family well...

nsw...5 1/2 month old boy....4yr old girl

Sign in to follow this topic