Huggies Forum

Kids and dogs Rss

I put in a big vote for staffies. They are incredible with kids. I grew up with a german shepherd and then a rottie x corgi (believe it or not) and I now own a ridgeback and a staffie. All the dogs I grew up with were great and my two are fine. They do stay outside, however my son (7 months) loves them so every day we go outside and the dogs sit quietly while I let my son touch them. All I can say is never leave your kids and dogs unsupervised and make sure you teach your kids not to approach strange dogs. It is a matter of education for parents, kids and pets all round. All dogs can bite, all kids can be rough. The blame for dog bites can go both ways but what it comes down to is that it is a dangerous mix if left unsupervised.
a friend got a labradoodle she sis its good wth her kids the younget is about 16 months old

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

We have a two year old german shepherd and a six month old baby and haven't had any problems. Our dog was initially very interested in this little being when we bought him home, sniffing him often in the first few days. The two are never left together unsupervised obviously, but with adequate training and supervision, families with babies and dogs can function well. We take the dog to training on a weekly basis, and have done so since we got her (to the point where we can approach her while she is eating or has a bone even). I have friends who own 2 boxers and they were raised alongside their first child who is now 6, and they get along great! Also have other friends with a baby girl and they own a border collie and dalmation. No problems have arisen as yet with them either!
Hi.
We have a newfoundland and she is just marvelous around our baby, we had 2 but recently one of them died. My little girl could do anything with him, only thing they are very big dogs and need regular grooming. Their temperament is wonderful like having a nanny. just kidding, remember the dog in peter pan it was a newfoundland.
But remember always supervise dogs and children no matter how much you trust them.
From several friends that have them, I would recommend an English Bull Terrier - the white ones with the long faces.

Yes, they look mean and nasty but they are absolutely the best family dogs around and great with kids of all ages.

I do have to suggest however that no matter what type of dog you end up getting, make sure it's trained properly either by the head of the house or at a dog training school. Dogs are pack animals and need a 'pack leader' to get direction from.

Tarns

Hi

We have a 2yr Lab and a 1yr Jack russel ( who we adopted a couple of months ago.) I trust the Lab 100% and my 5 month loves to watch her and talk to her. But i would never leave a child alone with any dog as you don't know how a dog may react. They will only put up with so much ear pulling etc and they cant't say "please don't do that it hurts"
Good luck with whatever dog you may choose.

Tineka, Mum to Hamish 3yrs, Abby 1yr & 1due 10/04

we dont have a dog, hubby hates them as almost much as cats . but a friend has a labradoodle says its gret with the kids

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic