Huggies Forum

Jolly jumper or no? Rss

We are thinking of getting our baby girl a jolly jumper for christmas. My husband (who has never had a baby before) swears by them, thinks they're great. I have a vague recollection of hearing something bad about them years and years ago but I can't remember what and am not even really sure that I did. Has anyone else used one? are they worth considering?

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

Hi ErinJ...We brought our Jolly jumper when my son and daughter were 9 months old and I wished we has done it earlier. Jade just loves it. She squeals and laughs so hard and has us in stiches when she is on it. On the other had my son enjoys using it as well but does'nt have the same reaction as his sister.Every child is different. I put a piece of foam under their feet because we have wooden floors and let them go for it. Or we hook it up to a tree outside on a nice day.
I personally recommend getting one. You can buy second hand and replace the springs or just buy a new one. (we got ours for $60).
The main thing is that you don't leave them unsupervised. It's fun to watch them play and visitors get a laugh too! Well I hope this helps you out. Enjoy
Tracey twins B&G 11months

Tracey,twins b&g 4yrs

Hi Erin,
I used them with my twins that are now 5yrs and I'm using it on my 6 month old that has been in it for awhile now.
They are the best invention ever I think.
To slowly introduce them to it as it can frighten at first as the way I did it was for maybe a few minutes or if the baby was upset then once they get use to it you can leave them in for a bit longer. Its a great way to give them a bit of exercise and to build strength in there tiny legs. My daughter use to full asleep in it from bouncing around and she'd just drop her at an instant and be sound asleep. Its worth a try for shore.

Di SA
Hi Erin,
Like the others i think they are a great invention. My 8 month old just loves it. Weve had her in it since 2 1/2 months and she now has very strong legs. You may however want to borrow one from someone if you can as my friends 11 month old was too big for it. Not sure on the weight restricion on them but i guess if you have a petite baby shell be in it longer. Hope your little girl finds it as enjoyable as mine does.

Mum to Bethany (25-2-03) & Faith (8-11-04)

Hi Erin,
I understand parents love them because their children do but please DONT. We have alittle girl who was 11 weeks premmie and the main advice that we had form the Drs and Nurses was NO Jolly Jumpers and No walkers. They cause your baby to become stiff in the legs and go up on their toes which can lead(no all the time) to problems with their walking.
Take care

Fiona, NSW

my son turned out fine from the jolly jumper walked at 8 1/2months even and my daughter who is 7 months loves it too, i think maybe put a time restriction on it although my kids could go on it for hours without crying.
best invention out there!

Angelica Mum to Troy (6) Aaliyah (4) & Carlos (1)

Hi there,
I have a 10 year old, and 8 year old, and 7 month old, and I have used (currently using) a jolly jumper for all of my kids. They come with two ways of hanging them up. 1st is by hook into the roof. This is the way I use. 2nd is by a frame that hangs of the door frame. I will not use this one, as I am terrified it will twist and slip off. As long as you put the hook into a beam in your roof, it will not go anywhere. The are the greatest invention!!

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Erin,

My son has had a jolly jumper since July and he absolutely loves it. He goies in it every other day when at my mum & dad's place. And he jumps around like there is no tomorrow..
It is one of the best things.

Michelle, mum to Corey 14/3/03 - Bankstown

The BEST invention ever! Our boy (9.5months) loves it and has been in it since he was 6 months. I think kids love the freedom of movement...and our boy seems to experiment with the different ways he can get his body to move about while he's in it and it gives him great enjoyment. My advice is to get the deluxe harness rather than the one with the shoelace front as the deluxe seems to fit better. We have one of each. Also invest in the freestanding blue frame as them it can be moved outdoors as well and saves your doorframes and ceiling when baby really gets jumping. I shopped around in the weekend paper and got ours second hand in great condition for a fraction of the new cost. Baby doesnt know its not brand new. Lastly I know of many children who have used them and their legs are all working perfectly when they walk.

WA

Thanks guys, we've got one on layby. She's been rolling over for some time now and is really itching to be up and at 'em so I think she's really going to like it.

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

Hi Erin,
You all will love it. I find it even better now. I put my son in the jumper while I sweep, mop and vaccume my floors. As most of my floors are lino, they stay wet, so with Brady in the jumper, I know the floors can get cleaned, without him getting wet!!!

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Erin,
I advise you not to use the jolly jumper! I have four kids (11,7,2 and 7 months) and I was given one when my 2year old was a baby. He absolutely loved it and I put him in it every other day.
When my son started walking we noticed that he was a bit pigeon toed but was not very concerned until he was an established walker and was getting worse!
I took him to a peditrician and the first question he asked me was if I used a walker or jolly jumper. He suggests that both of these put a huge strain on an infants ligaments and joints. He commented that if a babies leg was ready for that type of weight that babies would be born walking!
My newest baby will definately not be getting in a jolly jumper - it doesn't matter how much fun he is missing. I would rather he misses out (and not even realise it) then develop walking problems because of it!

Mum to 4 and loving it (most of the time!)
Sign in to follow this topic