Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. In Hubby's words - Having no money has never tasted so good!

In Hubby's words - Having no money has never tasted so good! Lock Rss

We have been scrimping and scraping for the last fews weeks and will be doing so for the next couple of months to get ourselves back on our feet.

SO.......... one way of saving money is to change our main meals at night. Over the last 2 weeks hubby has had about 5 meals cooked in the slow cooker, left overs have been frozen or eaten again the next night. Emily has had her fair share of them as have I.

Last night we had Satay Chicken and Rice. It has been atleast 12 months since I have made it. Admittingly I bought a cheaper brand of rice, bought the satay sauce I knew we liked the taste of and used chicken breast that was on special for $8.99/kg.

Dinner cost us a whopping $8, that fed both hubby and I, a very small amount of chicken and plenty of rice for Emily, and our dog even got her medication crumbled up in the left overs.

Our meals usually cost a whole lot more than that, be it porterhouse steak, steamer bags of vegies, oven fries/wedges, it all adds up.

With the left over chicken I am going to prepare and freeze satay chicken sticks, I will coat the rest and will do popcorn chicken, probably for dinner tonight.

Tomorrow I am off to buy the ingredients for spag bol, I will make up a bucket load of it and will freeze it. That way I can have spag bol when hubby has all his frozen slow cooker meals.

Woo hoo, talk about saving money. Hubby coming home to see what is for dinner is actually exciting for him at the moment... how sad....

Is OVER rude people

Sounds just like what we do all the tiem. Although some days (usally pay day) we go and buy someting REALLY nice like last week it was think steak with scollaps and prawns and had a surf and turf with garlic sauce and wedges lol!

but usally i make cheap stuff up and do extra but i never get enough to freeze sad As by the time it feed the 3 of us and i have some left for Boo's kindy lunch and some for DF's lunch there is none left...

But yes your onto a good thing! Hope your saving a bucket load.!

I love cheap meals.

You may also find chicken thigh a little cheaper then breast. It is actually less fatty just tends to be a little drier so you do not need to cook as long.

When you make your spag bol add some frozen vegie. I buy the cheap no name brand of frozen mixed vegie and add it to my spag bol. Bulks the meal out and you still get your vegie when you have your meal.

I do the same for my dog food. I buy the pet mince for about $4 a kg at the butcher and cook it and add mixed vegies, pasta or rice and some gravy. Cuts down the price for his food.

Also have you tried lamb shanks in the slow cooker? You can pick them up cheap and they go really well with some herbs and canned tomatoes. Served with mashed potatoes.

currently being updated please check back later.

I wish I had started doing this 10 years ago! When we both worked money was never an issue, it has only just recently become a problem and we are cutting costs all over the place.

Is OVER rude people

Hubby is extremely fussy with chicken, he will only eat the breast and I have tried to disguise thigh fillets on a few occassions and he always picks it straight away!

I buy plenty of lamb shanks... but they are usually for the dog... I must try them in the slow cooker, I was that McCormicks had a slow cooker sachet for them the other day.

Is OVER rude people

uno what u can do also with left over satay sauce.. chicken satay noodles
u need chicken
hokien noodles
shallots if u have if not use onions
corn
carrots
or what ever vegies u have..
i usually make my own satay sauce and most of the stuff i have already in my pantry
i use 1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup cocnut cream
1/2 cup stock
2 tb sweet chilli sauce
2 tb soy sauce
1 tb brown sugar
1tb lemon juice

Posted by: OmSsMyLiLmaNn
uno what u can do also with left over satay sauce.. chicken satay noodles
u need chicken
hokien noodles
shallots if u have if not use onions
corn
carrots
or what ever vegies u have..
i usually make my own satay sauce and most of the stuff i have already in my pantry
i use 1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup cocnut cream
1/2 cup stock
2 tb sweet chilli sauce
2 tb soy sauce
1 tb brown sugar
1tb lemon juice

Oh that is a recipe I will keep. We love satay in this house and are forever buying the tins. I will make that up as that is everything in my cupboard.

currently being updated please check back later.

Can i come over for tea? smile lol
If I don't use all the satay sauce can I leave it in the fridge for a day or two or can I freeze it?

Is OVER rude people

i dont think u can freeze it.. unless u try i guess? but if u leave it in the fridge for a day or 2 it should be ok!
i will u give a another recipe for satay chicken on sticks that is probably cheaper than your version

u need 750 chicken thigh fillet or breast or even drumstick fillet
about 200g of crunchy peanut butter
160 mls of stock
5 tb of honey
2 tb of soy sauce
1 tb thai curry paste (u can get this premade from woolies for about $1.30
1 tb lemon juice
2 cups of rice
and 1 cup of coconut milk ( 99c)

what u do is cut your chicken into pieces
mix your peanut butter stock honey soy sauce curry paste and lemon juice coat chicken and marinate
now the longer u marinate the better this is this recipe is good enough for guest!

coook your rice

remove your chicken from fridge thread it on skewers reserve the marinade, place on oven stray make sure you foil it, cook under hot grill until cooked

now with marinade place it all in a saucepan with the cocnut milk bring to boil then coom on low for 5 minutes
this recipe serves 4 but pretty fatty whoever is on a diet dont go near this recipe lol

Posted by: lil_possum
Hubby is extremely fussy with chicken, he will only eat the breast and I have tried to disguise thigh fillets on a few occassions and he always picks it straight away!

have you tried telling him that chicken thigh is gordon ramsey's fav bit of chicken. might make him think twice.

cheap meals are so easy to do, you dont have to make it expensive to eat well.

some of our favs are the continental packet mixes like strogganoff, bouginon (sp?) beef and red wine cassarole. all you need is some veg to go with.

if your doing up a pasta sauce try the aldi brand plain pasta sauce (not the vegie one) its the best bought pasta sauce ive had (im italian so very fussy with pasta sauce) and its only about $1.50 a jar.

also home brand french onion soup mix (less than 50c a pack i think) and cheap brand cream (good brand i find too oily) makes the best potatoe bake ever.

snags in onion gravy are yummy too.

a great healthy cheap meal is omlete.

we eat chinese 5 nights a week cause i work in the restraunt so cooking dinner is realy just for the kids but when i leave work we will be out of pocket a bit so we will be doing all the cheap meals too.
Sign in to follow this topic