Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Should we buy a wedding as well as christmas for my BIL?

Should we buy a wedding as well as christmas for my BIL? Lock Rss

Hello everyone

my bil got married about a month ago to his american partner they were married in queensland just in the justice office or whatever it is called. Anyway my MIL & FIL went as well as my other BIL and his wife

obviously with 2 young children we couldn't go! anyway they are coming down just before christmas and we said we would have a bbq for everyone here at our house in total there will be about 9 adults in total plus our 2 children

anyway we are going to give them a voucher for christmas and I was asked the other day as we are supposedly expected to get them a present for their wedding! bearing in mind we are on one income I asked DH and he said no we are just getting them one present! but I am half expecting my MIL to say something to us about it

does anyone think it is okay just to get them a christmas present?

thanks

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Is the BBQ at your house for christmas or as a way to acknowledge their marraige? If it is for there wedding then the fact that you are giving them a BBQ party is probably gift enough. You could probably decorate a cake extra nicely as a way of showing the party is your gift. (Hosting parties aren't alway cheap). I am not sure where in Victoria you are but if you are close by I always find going into the Queen Vic market early on a saturday morning to get the meat etc saves a lot of money.

If it is for a christmas BBQ then maybe a small token for their wedding would be nice. Maybe an inexpensive photo frame with a photo from their wedding (ypu could ask your MIL or someone who was there for one of the snapshots?)

!Hi Melly.
You probably wont like my reply here! I feel you should probably get them a wedding present, as it is a totally different celerbration from Christmas.
As Elisa said, doesn't have to be expensive - ThingZ have some great cheap pressies that are really nice and a good selection of photo frames.
I have always sent a pressie to weddings that we have been unable to attend. Even a $20 Bunnings voucher has been my gift before. And being immediate family.......!
However if you feel comfortable not giving a gift and you know that they wont expect one (who cares if MIL does - its not her wedding or pressie!) then I wouldn't let it worry you.
Maybe you could cut down the amount on the chrissy voucher to compensate?
Good Luck,
Hope you have a great Barby!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Sign in to follow this topic