Huggies Forum

Another Language??? Lock Rss

Hello all....

Just wondering if anyone else is teaching their bubs to speak another language.
We are teaching Isabella our language and english, but she seems to be catching onto the english words much quicker.
Is it better to just teach her english only? Will it be better/easier for daycare and school?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!!

nsw...5 1/2 month old boy....4yr old girl

Hi
My SIL is Swedish she has 2 boys(3 & 16mths)she speaks Swedish to the boys & there dad speaks english,the 3 year old is fluent in both english & Swedish & switches languages accordingly(never confuses the 2 & always speaks english to his little english friends & Swedish to his Swedish friends)The 16mth old understands both Swedish & english & uses both languages(still mixing both languages)but i have always thought they were both way ahead in there speech as a result!

If you want to teach your daughter your other language at some point in time, based on the families I know in the same situation when they are young and learing their words is the time to do it. Your daughter may choose to communicate in english but will understand two languages.

I'm in a different boat, I only speak english and my daughter is picking up spanish from Dora on TV (quite quickly) and starting to communicate in two languages - to me, and as part of her play (I sometimes need to ask for a translation, and it's all in context!)... so if they want to they can and will communicate as they wish.

Remember that your language is part of your daughter's heritage which is very special....

Cheers

mAy all yOur wiSheS cOmE trUe...

thanx ladies for your replies.

My hubby speaks 5 different languages and Swedish is one of them, he grew up there til he came here for holidays and we got married (we are the same nationality) The thing is I dont know our language all that great, i understand it all but the speaking is a bit of a problem! which means teaching bella the language is a bit tough, she gets a mix of english and our language in each thing i say to her!!

I think i will stick to english and hubby can stick to our language, it might be easier on her and me!

thanx again....really appreciate all your input!

nsw...5 1/2 month old boy....4yr old girl

Sign in to follow this topic