Huggies Forum

Posterior Baby - PLEASE HELP!!! Lock Rss

Any info would be muchly appreciated, I was told today that bubs is posterior (bubs back is along my back, limbs facing front), which she said would be more painful for me during labour.

I have 2.5 weeks till due date, and apparently bubs is going to be a big one (about 9-10pds).

Can anyone and everyone PLEASE tell me EVERYTHING you know about a posterior labour/birth???

Thanks!
[Edited on 19/08/2008]
i copied this..

You can have a lot of effect on what position your baby is in. Ask your Ob why they didn't give you information on optimal foetal positioning. Here is some now.

Optimal Foetal Positioning - read the rest at the link.

http://www.horns.freeserve.co.uk/ourhome.htm

Optimal Foetal Positioning
'Optimal Foetal Positioning' is a theory developed by a midwife, Jean Sutton, who found that the mother's position and movement could influence the way her baby lay in the womb in the final weeks of pregnancy. Many difficult labours result from 'malpresentation', where the baby's position makes it hard for the head to move through the pelvis, so changing the way the baby lies could make birth easier for mother and child.

Also,

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

SpinningBabies.com
A site to discover how to improve fetal positioning for easier birthing - read the rest at the website.

Head down is just half the story!

Mother's job is to dilate, Baby's job is to rotate.
When baby's back is on the left and baby is facing mother's right hip, labor is more likely to go well, be shorter and less painful.
Here at Spinning Babies a mother can figure out her baby's position and learn things to make her birth easier! Remember, "easier" is a relative term. Birth is hard, glorious work. Something to be proud of, something worthwhile.

A sunny-side-up, or posterior, face-to-mum's-pubic bone baby aims the larger flat top of their head into the pelvis first, this can make a baby seem too big to fit the pelvis. Relaxing the pelvic ligaments, gravity-friendly postures and movement often help the baby flex (tuck the chin) and rotate to fit the pelvis better.

Sit on your knees on the floor and spread your knees wide enough apart to allow you to lie your upper body face down with your forehead on the floor. Stretch your arms out above your head. Do this for a few minutes a couple of times each day.

Don't know if it really works, but it's excellent for relaxing a sore back, to you win either way smile

Hiya

the only thing I know about posterior labour is that rather than the pain be in your belly, you will get a lot of lower back pain, which is more uncomfortable for you.

I would suggest going to a chiropractor to see if they can shift him or her.. they worked wonders for me before dd was born and my labour went very smoothly. 6 hours and no complications. I would recommend them for anyone. Also the chiro will make sure your back and hips are aligned properly which will help bub come out easier.

Hi Tracey. My DD was posterior at 8months peggas till a week before I had her. I had really badddddddddddddd Back pain and could barely move! I just relaxed in a bath as I couldnt spread my legs or anything to try and move her. I did however have Physio with the hospital. It was free as I was referred due to the Position and pain so maybe look into that. Call your hospital and see if you can have it as it made Arielle turn. Although she never got in a proper position and came down on an angle which cause Birth/labour problems.

Goodluck and I hope bubs turns for your sake! Goodluck smile

Hey,
One of my bubs was posterior,and yes it is a tiring long process and painful for your back,all i can suggest is rocking on all fours as much as you can and when your sitting down prop yourself up on some pillows so your knees are below your hips KWIM?and if at all possible if your bubs is still in that position while your in labour try birthing in the squatting position if you can they will turn easier that way.smile]
Hope your lil bubba turns for you..

Annika was a posterior baby.
It wasn't known until I was in labour and had my internal.
Hindsight I had sciatica, didn't really feel her hiccups etc.
During labour I did labour deep in my lower back.
I had an epidural.
The OB tried to turn her, but she would just flip back to the posterior position.
They then used the suction, 2 try she came out.
My OB encouraged me to look at her, even she marvelled that you don't often see the face staring at the world.
This tiny pink/purple face staring up at me. then she was born, straight on my chest.
Long and scrawny she was.
I did tear, but that could have been from the forceps or suction, or just me pushing.

My son was transverse (laying sideways but head crowning) and laying on my side with lower back massages or on all fours rocking were most comfortable.

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

yeh same, with DD coming down on the side I had to birth facing the wall, hugging the upright bed whilst on my knees with one leg standing on the bed iykwim? Very hard and painful, only had pethadine at 12 so had worn off for many hrs. But once its done...its done smile

I wasnt recomended to lay on my back at all through pushing. So up on your knees girl!

Being in the bed with a posterier bub is the worst thing you can do when in labour. No one told me the position of bubs till i was 6 hours into labour and it was painful. I found squating or even just legs apart bum out and hands on knees (sort of summo style LOL) or half of body drapped over the bed. I found that standing and leaning forward took the pressure off my back and the pain wasnt as bad till i decided to have an epidural.

I laboured for 15 hours and pushed for over an hour, but DD was stuck. She was coming out face up (as they do!), but her head was pushed too far back (instead of chin tucked in) and she was coming out forehead first. I ended up with an emergency CS as they were unable to VAC her out.
Oh crap... I was on my back for the pushing last time, and I found it was great... Looks like I need to find a new possie LOL.

Thanks everyone for your replies. If anyone has any more, keep 'em coming!!!

-xxx-
Tracey.
My DS2 was posterior - my limited understanding of it is that almost all of them turn before or during labour and it is just another position yk? With my last one my IM told me that in most cases of what I suppose you would refer to as false starts or longer pre-labour or warm up is normally due to posterior bubs; my best advice if you go into labour and bubs is still posterior then listen to your body like how it tells you to move and go with it - trust your body and your baby and work together. Good luck and try not to stress, enjoy you last weeks with your belly babe, you will have him/her in your arms before you know it smile wishing you all the best with your upcoming birth.

i have some links which you might find interesting

http://www.homebirth.net.au/2008/07/posterior-position.html

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/postrppr.html

I was trying to find a link from michel odent and posterior bubs but can't find it sad i will keep looking

Wear your baby out!!!

Posted by: Stephanea
I had a posterier birth Tracey. And all i will say is at least you don't DIE! Lol.

LMAO! I know EXACTLY what you mean!!

My 2nd was posterior.
I tried all these methods and more to turn her.
My midwife suggested sitting on a chair backwards(the back between your legs) I don't think that was mentioned earlier.

Posterior labour pain IS worse but luckily 2nd labours are usually shorter!.
The pain starts like a regular contraction then continues excruciatingly into your back.
I was under a hot shower the majority of the time until I was dilated enough for an epidural- I begged from the first contraction!!

Lily didn't turn and got stuck.
The Ob suggested trying forceps or going emergency c sect.
I said forceps as I was determined to go through the pain for a purpose!!
He turned her successfully and she was delivered with no problems or tearing. Forceps sound a LOT scarier than they really are!!

The labour was 6 hours all up including her being stuck (stopped moving down) for about 3 hours and I even had an epidural which apparently slows labour.

I later discovered she was stuck because she had huge shoulders and was 4305g ( 9pd,9oz ), Which was a kilo heavier than the ob guessed earlier.

I would discuss all options on trying to turn bubs and worst comes to worst Birthing options and interventions with your midwife/obs

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Sign in to follow this topic