Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. What age to start kids on the computer??

What age to start kids on the computer?? Rss

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has some helpful information on when to introduce the computer to kids. My daughter is nearly 3 and at this stage i have avoided her being anywhere near it. Just wondering if there is anything suitable for this age!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe

There are some really good games you can buy for preschoolers age 3 upwards from most shops that sell computer software and there are some good websites like www.bobthebuilder.com which are good for introducing kids to the computer and some are educational too.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

This post has been edited by the moderator.
I feel there is no age. Of course the older child can use the keyboard but you can sit your child in front of the computer while you use the keyboard. I sit my 8 1/2mth old on my lap while I type or go on the sesame street website which has some fantastic ideas..yeh my baby is young but he loves the sound, music and the movement. i feel the younger the better!!!!!
Hi Tepe,

My son has been interested in the computer from just after he was two years old. He has a 3 pack of wiggles and a preschool toddler CD. I sat down with him at first and showed him how to use the mouse. Now we cant stop him and its great for him. On the wiggles he is doing jigsaws and mazes and colouring in, he does most of it on his own and knows how to get around everything and he will be 3 in June. The wiggles also have counting games which i sit and do with him, he counts and I click on the right number for him.

I would find something your daughter is interested in and sit down with her and see how she goes. The wiggles pack is really good, he has picked up things so quick with it. They have a fun pack with 3 CD's in it for around $50. The wiggles web site also has some good educational games on it.

All the best
Tracy

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions! She loves the wiggles, so that's one of my first picks, but i will try the fisher price one, and start with the younger age group activities.

Wish me luck,

Tepe

Hi

My husband works with computers, so found an old one, and set it up specially for our 2 3/4 year old, and he loves it. He sits in the lounge room and turns it on and off and moves the mouse around and watches it. Okay he is probably a little young to understand the concept of what he is doing, but we would rather he learn on an old computer then mum or dads. Some days I let him sit with me and let him type an e-mail to daddy or help with moving the mouse around. He was introuduced to computers at a young age and whenever daddy is pulling one apart or attempting to fix it, Haydn sits there and watches him as daddy tells him what he is doing. Haven't really introuduced him to any kids sites yet, but eventually we will, just for the moment he is happy playing with his and seeing what happens when you press different buttons.

Heather
Hi Heather,

That really sounds like a good idea, much more appropriate for my daughter. Maybe i will see if i can get a super cheapy, i would feel a lot more relaxed about the whole thing that way.

Thanks,

Tepe

my son got some discs for his 3rd bday aan animal fsarm game that teaches letters and numbers . he loves it also he likes the thomas websiteand the barney and sesame steet one but i hve tell him its brken as otherwise he would be on the internet 4 hours!he also likes his fathers car racing and aerolplane/bomber games!

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic