Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Thinking about getting a part-time job

Thinking about getting a part-time job Rss

Hello

my little boy has just turned 1, and I am finding lately I have become a bit bored staying at home which leads to me feeling a bit depressed.

I was thinking about getting a part time job but I don't know if I will be able to leave my little boy with someone (I am planning on getting a job when my little boy goes to kindergarten in a couple of years)

And then I wondered if it would really make me happier sure I would have something to do for a few days but then I wondered if I would be able to fit the things I do now in. And leaving my little boy would make me sad too!

I would love to hear some comments thanks

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi Melis. I want to work part time but can't. I got a part time job and almost started when my mother in law got diagnosed with lung cancer. Terrible for her, this also means I cant work as she was going to look after my baby. Childcare isnt feasable as I was working 4 or 5 hours a day and you pay a full days fees with childcare with not alot of government subsidy. So if you can afford the childcare fees go for it. It just isnt worth it for me unless I have a high paying job. But anyway I only wanted to work no more than 3 days a week. I think that balance is the key.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hello melis, I was in your same boat. I had a job to go back to as I was on maternity leave which I extended and extended.

Just the thought of leaving my son with someone else would reduce me to tears. In the end financially I HAD to go back. I put my son into day care a few months before I started. One day a week at first then 2 building it up to 3 days a week. I dropped him off earlier each week and left him a bit longer each time as well.

The month before I started I was making myself ill thinking of all the different scenarios that could happen. The week before was even worse. The night before I started I just couldnt sleep. On the bus to work on my first day I thought I was going to vomit!!! BUT my first day wasnt too bad, then came the second and the third and before I knew it the weekend was here........My next week was better and the third I was actually enjoying the company of other people and not talking babies all day. Of course the money was wonderful. It was easier to get into a routine as had been making myself drop my son off at day care by a certain time to get into a pattern for the both of us. My son loves the company of the other children and of course loves his carers.

I too was getting depressed being home all the time. I had worked all my life so it was a bit shock for me to be home on my own 24/7. I now feel more "normal" than I use to feel. I find I have to be a little bit more organised than I use to and I find it better for me to do some housework when I come home and my son is asleep. That way when I do have the day off I dont spend the whole time doing housework. Sure I get days when I would just love to take the day off and spend it with my son but I have heaps of photos of him and one day I rang his day care and they put him on the phone which was just lovely. This is just me and everyone is different, but I am glad I went back to work.

Good luck with what ever you decide but you have to do what is best for you and your family.

Take care

Hi Melissa,

I got bored being at home with my two kids, but knew I couldn't go back to work during the day due to child care fees etc.

Have you thought about doing night work? There are various night work jobs. I work nights and it is great. I have all day to do the things I want to do with the girls and for myself. Then my husband comes home and he gets to bond with his girls and I go to work.

I was really happy with the idea of working nights because it meant I didn't have to pay child care fees and I didn't have to leave with girls with a stranger. They get some time with their dad and he gets to enjoy his girls.

Just a suggestion for you. Hope it all works out for you.

Good luck
Danielle

QLD DD 2/02 DD 3/03 DD 2/05 Jack 23/3/07

Hi Melissa,
I agree with what Danielle said about going working at night.
I was a deli manager in a supermarket before I had my son. I don't want to return to full time work while he (and any other that come later) are still young. I have the flexibility to work a few nights a week working until midnight, and at the same time giving my son some quality time with his dad, without the distraction of me. Plus the added bonus is I don't have to find a daycare centre or pay any fees. I have a mum at my mother's group that put her name down at one centre and there's 250 children ahead of her.
If you decide to work during the day only do about a 4-5 hour shift. Not sure what your situation is but you might even be able to pay a friend to mind the kids for you.
Supermarkets will be looking fairly soon to hire staff and have trained for Christmas.
Good Luck.
Kristy

member since 2004

hello,
My baby will be 1 next month and I would like to work part-time as to still have time and energy for him. However I have been looking at jobs on the internet and part-time jobs often require some weekend work or finishing a bit later at night which dosen't suit child care hours.
I haven't started looking at centres yet but from what I have heard the fees can be high and I don't want to work for peanuts.
Debating weather or not to go full time instead to earn more. My husband works shift work so often he finishes early and can pick up our son and be with him.
Oh what to do???

Vic, 3 y.o boy

HI Melis,

I too am a stay at home mum and I have just returned to work one day a week, Saturdays. This was also for the reason of not wanting to leave my little boy. sad Although different to you I did not return out of boardem. Please don't take offence to this but I cannot understand how you could be board. We do Music on Monday Mothers group on Tuesday walk on Wednesday Gymbaroo on Thursday Housework on friday and boy it keeps me busy, but I suppose everyone is different. I want to return to school when my litte boy is in Kindy, but for now I wanted a day for him and his dad to spend together, so I thought rather than me going out and spending money I will go out and make some.
But back to your problem, as girlymum and chukkas have both said have you thought of working nights or what about party plan, then you can make your own hours, and determine how much money you want to earn.
Well I hope this has helped a little.
Good Luck
Sign in to follow this topic