Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Anyone Up For A Healthy Debate???

Anyone Up For A Healthy Debate??? Lock Rss

Please don't let this get heated. I'm sure we can all be mature enough to debate our view on the topic without it resorting to name-calling, right? Right!

Topic: Advertising Baby Formula.

Ok, so a few years ago, WHO made it illegal to advertise any baby formula or dummies. The obvious reason: Breast Is Best.

Ok, so you'd have to be blind, deaf, stupid AND living under a rock not to know that breast is best, BUT what happens when BFing is just not possible?? Why can't the formula companies advertise their product, and add the "Breast Is Best" thing to the advertisement??? It would make it easier for people to know what is beneficial and what is not, IYKWIM.

I think they should be allowed to advertise their product. The only other product banned from advertising is cigarettes, and come on, formula and cigarettes are just not the same!!!! There are no dangers with feeding your child formula, for one thing!!!

What do you think???
[Edited on 30/12/2008]
i think formula should be advetised, bit a disclaimer at the bottom saying breast is best

Posted by: Kaitie & Haydens Mum
Please don't let this get heated. I'm sure we can all be mature enough to debate our view on the topic without it resorting to name-calling, right? Right!

Topic: Advertising Baby Formula.

Ok, so a few years ago, WHO made it illegal to advertise any baby formula or dummies. The obvious reason: Breast Is Best.

Ok, so you'd have to be blind, deaf, stupid AND living under a rock not to know that breast is best, BUT what happens when BFing is just not possible?? Why can't the formula companies advertise their product, and add the "Breast Is Best" thing to the advertisement??? It would make it easier for people to know what is beneficial and what is not, IYKWIM.

I think they should be allowed to advertise their product. The only other product banned from advertising is cigarettes, and come on, formula and cigarettes are just not the same!!!! There are no dangers with feeding your child formula, for one thing!!!

What do you think???
[Edited on 30/12/2008]

I agree with you!
as a frazzled mum of a 3 weeks old standing in front of 1001 formulas at the supermarket i wish i had some information to work off definately.

After a little trial and error i found one that agreed with jasmine, but then the 'do i need to get the 'gold' one issue came up, am i being stingy and depriving my baby by buying a cheaper formula??

As far as i know all formulas have to reach a standard to be sold, but it would be nice to know what you baby REALLY needs.
Well if they can advertise Breast is Best then they should be allowed to advertise formula - it is food however it is dispensed and it is a very naive viewpoint that all mum's can BF. It is the lack of advertising that makes Mum's feel a failure when they have to go to formula - as they guiltily hover around the formula aisle. Who cares how you feed your baby - I don't - I was rapt I could BF at all and when that chapter was closed on to formula (that was advertised 4.5 years ago so I knew what to get with DD #2).
I didn't realise this
I agree tho ... I think companies should be able to advertise formula. For a lot of people they don't have a choice and therefore a necessity for their baby.
I agree, we all know breast is best but in lots of womens cases (including mine) its not possible for them. I will try and breastfeed again this time but Im also taking formula with me to the hospital just in case and have no hestitation in doing so, for me putting DS on formula on day 4 was the best decision I made.

Mother and Baby magazine dont promote anything to do with formula feeding/bottles as they are partnered up with the world breastfeeding organization, i think in this day and age its ridiculous to put that amount of pressure on any new mum and make them feel guilty if they switch to formula, we need as much information as possible.

Parenting is hard enough without having to feel like your making the wrong choice by putting your baby on formula.

I agree!! People would be outraged if promoting Breast Feeding was banned, so why is not ok to promote and educate women on how to nourish their babies? We (formula feeding mothers) are doing the exact same thing as breast feeding mothers... feeding our children!

I don't think formula should be advertised at all. I also don't think that a profit should be made off them and that formula should be free or heavily discounted for those who cannot breastfeed.

For babies born to women who can't breastfeed and babies raised without a mother, formula may be the only food available to them and IMO it just seems wrong that a company is profiting from that. What other choice does the mother/carer have?

I think by not advertising they were thinking it might make some mothers consider breastfeeding if they hadn't thought of doing it before. Advertising or not, we all know formula exists and it doesn't take much to know how to use it.

Parents will buy the formula that suits their child, not usually because advertising drove them to a particular brand.

When my DS was 2days old we had to start comping him as i had no milk (he was screaming the hospital down and disturbing the happily BFing mothers) the hospital i was at offered it to me so i just kept him on that one. It was awful having to hide from my MIL that i was bottle feeding him, she even went as far as to call me a bad mother because i couldnt birth him or breast feed him.

The hosi i was at was really good though and my lacting consultant even explained to me about the different formulas and bottles and brands of teats. I found them great to talk to about it and to have them offer other options than just put up with a screaming baby.

Best decision DH and i ever made to put him on to formula
!!!

I will try and breast feed this time but if i cant its not the end of the world.
I can understand people getting annoyed with not knowing which formula to choose, however advertising wouldn't really help this. All it would do is mean the companies with the most money get their product name out - which in turn makes them the popular brand. Sales based advertising in itself is not an effective medium to get info out there. You would probably need something like a choice website to got through the actual info in an unbiased format.

Advertising uses various ways to promote their product including appealing to peoples vulnerabilities. If you think of the situation of a new mum, struggling with breastfeeding, overtired and desperate for help - seeing a bright cheery advertisement for formula may be enough to get her to give up and switch. Breastfeeding is extremely hard to do and especially maintain. The first few weeks are absolutely critical. Advertising would be aimed at people in these circumstances as they know there is a much higher chance of getting them to switch.
At the moment there is a ban on advertising formula, but if you look at groups of people, you can see the trends that occur without advertising. For example, People with a low socioeconomic background or who live in these areas tend to feed formula rather than breastfeed from an earlier age. This doesn't mean they will, it just means that there is more chance of them doing it because that is what many in their area do and what they promote to each other. People do what they see and advertising takes full advantage of this.

There are many people who can't breastfeed, but in reality it is something like 2% that can't medically breastfeed. The rest is a perception promoted by a society that has been taught formula is just as good and health professionals that don't understand how breastfeeding works.

From a government perspective, by increasing the number of people breastfeeding they reduce the number of people in their medical system in the short and long term.

Formula feeding is not risk free. It isn't as obviously toxic as cigarettes, but it still has long term issues and is the fourth preference for feeding an infant. By banning formula advertising they are actually being responsible for future generations. By banning it, it makes people who CHOOSE to use formula have to justify their decision. This doesn't mean it is the wrong one. It means that ff have to be happy within themselves that they are doing the right thing.

Personally, I think formula should have to be prescribed by a dr.
[Edited on 30/12/2008]
Formula feeding ... is the fourth preference for feeding an infant.

Ok... um... call me daft but what are the other 2, apart from Breast???
Sign in to follow this topic