Huggies Forum

Suggestions Please!!!!! Rss

DP, DD and I are currently living with my parents as we have no where else to go. We have been applying for rental houses for 6 months (averaging 1 application a day) and we still haven't found anything. Does any one have any suggestions of things to help us stand out from the crowd? We are looking at places in the right price range but the places always go to 25 year old +, professional couples with no kids. I'm really worried and getting stressed about living here, there is 8 of us in the house at times including my brother's friend who was released from the mental ward of the hospital less than a month ago.

We have been handing forms in straight away, dressing up ad we have written a personal cover letter to go with every application but it doesn't seem to be helping. DP has excellent business and personal references and I have one excellent business reference but no real personal references and we have no rental history. Going out to look at a couple more places now but i'll check back later, please help!

*Forgot to say we earn too much for government housing so that's out too.
[Edited on 23/01/2009]
Keep applying for all the ones that you see but have a word to the real estate agents and try and get them on your side, they make the shortlist. Let them know what you need and ask how they can help you.

Good luck - at tleat you can save money and have help whenever you need it whil at your parents smile
The only suggestion I can give Tash is to to as was suggested above,

We are trying to get a new house in Canberra as well and the rental market sucks ass.

We have found that us with a fairly high income bracket, very good rental history and good personal referances still dont get a look in alot of the time becuase we have children as well.

Alot of landlords dont want young children in thier houses.

Put you name down for govy housing anyway. You have to have a cut off earn point of $95,000 for a family to apply. It may take you a few years to get a house with them but when you do then you are set.

Good Luck

hi, my sister in law had the same problem with her 4 little ones in finding a place. In the end they offered $20 more a week in rental (than the asking price)and got a place straight away. This was after months of searching. Are you in a postion to be able to do something like this. Landlords only really care about how much money they can bring in..

Giovanni 5 yrs - Giselle 2 - Gabriel 5 months..

Posted by: ggsmama
hi, my sister in law had the same problem with her 4 little ones in finding a place. In the end they offered $20 more a week in rental (than the asking price)and got a place straight away. This was after months of searching. Are you in a postion to be able to do something like this. Landlords only really care about how much money they can bring in..

Dont do what is mentioned above Tash, if you do that in Canberra its Illeagal and you will never find a place

maybe try and mention about the fact that you live in a house with so many people and that your needing a family home

maybe a friend could also write you a personal reference might help

good luck hope you find something soon

Have you tried looking at private rentals, you may have more of a chance appealing directly to the owner.

Personally i got my house by dropping names, if you know someone in real estate may try to get a reference form them.

Good luck, i know it is frustrating
Sarah I spoke to DH about your situation and he said with CHC you can keep applying for properties to increase your chances of getting something. He said that the applications get reduced to who needs it most and there are usually about 15-20 of those so they just have to select one randomly, so if you fit the criteria (which it sounds like you do) then you have SOME chance of getting something eventually.

He also mentioned they have a development that should be finished mid-late 2009 ( abit long to wait I know) with 2 bedroom units. As they have a LOT of units there will be a greater chance of getting something in the complex. Dunno if you want to live in a unit, but it's an option to get you into your ow place. They have a lot of share houses but that sounds like the situation you're in now anyway. Keep trying them cos it sounds like they are building a lot of dual occy's this year and trying to get some good tenants in.

good luck
Can you afford to/offer to pay extra rent in advance. Most places ask for a month up front but if you can afford to pay 6 weeks or two months etc...

That was a tip i read in the paper
Thanks for your replies girls, one day we'll find something.

StrawberryJane - I forgot to say we have tried offering 2 months rent in advance on top of the bond too.
When we were looking there was no shortage of rentals, but of course everyone wants the same thinngs so the good ones always have heaps of applications! We had owned previously so had no rental history, but we offered 6 months rent up front so they didn't really care about references.
That's the problem too many people are looking around here at the moment. We are looking at anything in our price range regardless of size, area or condition as long as it is 2 bedroom and within an hours drive to DP's uni. It's kind of funny considering 1/2 an hours drive in any direction is a completely different state and the middle of the country.
Sign in to follow this topic