Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

How is it Lock Rss

that single mothers struggle on the pension with 2 kids??

I just found out that i will be getting around $1150 per fornight. Thats great money for staying at home raising your children.

I pay high rent, and i know that this will be enough to keep me and the kids comfortable and we wopnt have to sacrifise the things i thought that we would.

Everyone's money is tight at the moment, but i think we are pretty lucky to have a government that support parents staying home with their kids so well.

Yeah i dont really know, but a girl we use to know got at least $700 a week just with 1 kid. Plus it also depends what area u live in here

i dont know how they struggle!!
at the moment DH is a student so he gets $397 p/f from centrelink and i am a SAHM and i get $817 p/f so a combine income of $1214 per fortnight
our boys have everything they need plus more
i really dont understand how people can say they cant afford to feed and clothe their kids

hugs to all

mmmmm.... Why do I work then?????

Owen 26.2.04 and Hannah 17.9.07

My sister always complains how broke she is and she is a single mum of 3, so if you get that, i can imagine what she gets.

Its pretty obvious though that she is never broke, as she always has new clothes and has the money to go out and party and buying things for her house.

Wish they had MORTGAGE assistance....

ETA her house not our house (DF won't let her in our house haha)
[Edited on 03/03/2009]

was Bubbagirlsmama

mmmm tracy i was just thinking the same thing!
it has also got me thinking then why it is that i pay $250 per week for childcare for DD & $100 per week for afterschool care (only 4 days) & the stay at home parents get such big subsidies?
i have no problem with paying what i need to, but i get a little chuffed when stay at home parents have their kids in care when it is clearly not needed.

i was faced the other day with a parent whining at the pre-school that her fees had gone up from $50 to $60 per week (child goes 5 days).... i gently butted in (i know rude) & reminded her that some of us pay a lot more than that & to be grateful that she isnt paying my fees!
grrr
That is excellent money! If my DH and I both were still working in retail we wouldn't even earn that in a week! That is a better amount than what a supermarket worker would get a fortnight!
Nice to hear someone saying it is good money rather than complaining that they can't get by on it. good on you Bothboys!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

SAHM subsidies for childcare are only for 24hrs tho - so 2 days a week... then you pay full price.

ETA - we really are the lucky country and more ppl should appreciate it. I am glad you do smile
[Edited on 03/03/2009]
I know of some single parents find it hard and live by each pay week to pay week,just because they have such big debts before having kids (when they were younger,like in the teens or even in a relationship before splitting and becoming single, just maxing credits cards,GE,personal loan etc)and just dont keep on top of payments which then incurs interest and find it hard to keep up. So i guess in those cases they struggle each pay cause they need to pay off debts/loans and then being able to provide for the kids,themselves etc seem to be harder.
Posted by: Chiliwoman
it has also got me thinking then why it is that i pay $250 per week for childcare for DD & $100 per week for afterschool care (only 4 days) & the stay at home parents get such big subsidies?

I know what you mean!! We worked out that it's more beneficial to us for me to stay home than for me to go back to work and put DS in childcare!!! How weird is that?

We don't get any support (except for FTB pt cool and that's at the end of the financial year. I'm bummed, 'cos we miss out on all those nice big payments Krudd hands out. lol!!

I reckon that's real good of the government to take care of single mum's though. It's better than most countries. I just wish that the government was nicer to the people who pay everyone elses wages...we pay SO much tax that we figured out that it would be better to earn $50k a year and get all the government benefits than to have a higher wage! You almost end up with less money. Sigh. Ok, I'll stop whinging now. lol
Posted by: TwoFlopsyBunnies
SAHM subsidies for childcare are only for 24hrs tho - so 2 days a week... then you pay full price.

ETA - we really are the lucky country and more ppl should appreciate it. I am glad you do smile
[Edited on 03/03/2009]

Yeah, what she said!!

Its all in the way they budget! Im sure alot could live on less (depending on areas of course!!) if they had to.

Its a bloody lot of money to be honest.

3 Little Ones to Love.....

Sign in to follow this topic