Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

How is it Lock Rss

Posted by: AlyceConnor&Riley
Hey bothboys,

I think it's great that you appreciate what you get. And good on your for studying, i think what you're doing is fantastic.

I see why people can get so angry as I too know a person who's partner brings home About $900 after tax a week and then she gets about $1400 from centrelink claiming SINGLE parenting a fortnight that's parenting/FTB and pension oh and rent assistance. Now that really PINGS me off because that's works out to be $3200 a fortnight which is so not fair...

see that really annoys the [email protected] out of me - i would dob them in!

I too know a person who's partner brings home About $900 after tax a week and then she gets about $1400 from centrelink claiming SINGLE parenting a fortnight that's parenting/FTB and pension oh and rent assistance. Now that really PINGS me off because that's works out to be $3200 a fortnight which is so not fair...

No that's not fair and it's idiots like that give other single parents that are doing the right thing a bad name. Someone should dob her in, she'll be getting a nice big bill to pay back, if not jail time.

[Edited on 03/03/2009]

I've seen a couple of people say they get annoyed that they have friends who claim and work or have a partner. If it annoys you so much call the FAO line and dob them in. THE END. lol
Damn I think I should move to Aussie!

I get $320 a week, plus $60 a week for my travel allowance to get to uni every day. I live in a Housing NZ house so I only pay a very minimal rent, but after taking out my rent, and putting money aside each week for my monthly car payment, I'm left with a little over $120 a week. After buying groceries, I'm left with sweet FA. Yes I could be getting an extra $60 a week if I had named DD's sperm donor and claimed for child support, but I chose not to for our sakes, so the govt takes $60 a week off my entitlement.

ETA the $320 I get is made up of $240 Sole Parent DPB and an $80 Family Tax Credit.
[Edited on 03/03/2009]

Posted by: kel65

I too know a person who's partner brings home About $900 after tax a week and then she gets about $1400 from centrelink claiming SINGLE parenting a fortnight that's parenting/FTB and pension oh and rent assistance. Now that really PINGS me off because that's works out to be $3200 a fortnight which is so not fair...

No that's not fair and it's idiots like that give other single parents that are doing the right thing a bad name. Someone should dob her in, she'll be getting a nice big bill to pay back, if not jail time.

[Edited on 03/03/2009]

Hehe this happened to someone I know (and hate). The daft cow filled in a form at the IRD giving her partner's address, after she had claimed a sole parent DPB from Work & Income. They put the forms together and came up with a nice big $9000 bill for her to pay back, as she had to pay back everything they had given her since her DS was born.

Hmmm I would check that amount if I was you. I am on single parent pension and I am very grateful that the government gives it to me but I only pay $210wk rent and that is 1/2 of what I get from Centrelink so the other half pays for all the bills, food, petrol, car rego & insurance etc. I can tell you right now that it's very tight. Those single mums that are out getting their hair and nails done and buying alcohol and cigarettes are either not paying their bills or have other money coming from elsewhere. Come back here in a couple of months and let us know how comfortably you are living on the single parent pension, I will be very interested to know how you do. I also put my dd into daycare but only on a casual basis if I really need to do something and it costs me (with my big discount) $11 a day whether it is for 1/2 hr or all day.

That amount is single parent pension, fax tax a, fam tax b, rent assistance, and PES. It totalls $1196.84. Its in writing from centrelink on the paperwork they gave me today.

I was on single parent pension and all the other payments when DS12 was born, and got about $900 per fortnight, and managed to live on that and save- was paying less rent then tho. I pay $330 per week now, and have worked out all our expenses, and have some left over to save every week. And my kids have new clothes every season, and a massive rumpus room which was pretty much full before i even met DP.

Posted by: bothboys
Hmmm I would check that amount if I was you. I am on single parent pension and I am very grateful that the government gives it to me but I only pay $210wk rent and that is 1/2 of what I get from Centrelink so the other half pays for all the bills, food, petrol, car rego & insurance etc. I can tell you right now that it's very tight. Those single mums that are out getting their hair and nails done and buying alcohol and cigarettes are either not paying their bills or have other money coming from elsewhere. Come back here in a couple of months and let us know how comfortably you are living on the single parent pension, I will be very interested to know how you do. I also put my dd into daycare but only on a casual basis if I really need to do something and it costs me (with my big discount) $11 a day whether it is for 1/2 hr or all day.

That amount is single parent pension, fax tax a, fam tax b, rent assistance, and PES. It totalls $1196.84. Its in writing from centrelink on the paperwork they gave me today.

I was on single parent pension and all the other payments when DS12 was born, and got about $900 per fortnight, and managed to live on that and save- was paying less rent then tho. I pay $330 per week now, and have worked out all our expenses, and have some left over to save every week. And my kids have new clothes every season, and a massive rumpus room which was pretty much full before i even met DP.

wow i would love to see your budget
Posted by: ~*~Mummy_to_3~*~

Im a single mum of 3 and i get LESS than the OP in SPP & pay a hell of a lot more for daycare.
After rent, car payments, school costs, daycare fees, food, bills, savings towards bills, petrol, sports fees there is never anything left!!

Not easy street by any means running a house hold & keeping it afloat on your own!!!

Could be worse you could get nothing like some countries do. So why whinge..
Posted by: WiShFulLThInKiNg
Posted by: ~*~Mummy_to_3~*~

Im a single mum of 3 and i get LESS than the OP in SPP & pay a hell of a lot more for daycare.
After rent, car payments, school costs, daycare fees, food, bills, savings towards bills, petrol, sports fees there is never anything left!!

Not easy street by any means running a house hold & keeping it afloat on your own!!!

Could be worse you could get nothing like some countries do. So why whinge..

i don't think she was whinging at all, i think bec was more stating that she isn't living the highlife and like other families that after expenses there isn't much left
[Edited on 03/03/2009]
I am grateful I live in a country where low incomes earners and people in need are supported by the govt and I have had to rely on govt assistance in the past. It does irk me though, when people receiving SPP think it is their right and a long term way of life (I am no having a go at anyone in particular. To me, SPP is to help you through a difficult time until you can get your life back on track to be able to support your own children financially

When not on mat leave I pay over $24000 in tax per year because I work full time in a high paying but stressful job. When you factor in costs associated with working (child care, travel costs, work clothing etc) and the fact I don't have a pension or healthcare card to receive discounts on essential services, I am about $150 a week better off working (not including super).

Sometimes it doesn't seem worth it but if people like me didn't work full time and pay high tax then how would the govt be able to support others who genuinely need help? I have no problem contributing to society but I do hate working and being away from my children while some people stay at home on benefits because they want to be there for their kids. Who doesn't, but taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for it long term.

Wow, i didnt think that this would turn nasty or into a fight, I was just saying that the government does pretty well by single mothers considering what they recieve is a close equvilent to a working persons wage. Other countries sont pay anything, or if they do its in the form of food stamps etc.

And as i choose not to have debts- car loans, credit cards, etc, then i can live quiet conformtably on the money that i will get.

that's great that you don't have any debts, but i haven't "chosen" to be either a single mum or to have debts, that's just how it's worked out for me and my DD. i'm not struggling on the single parents pension but i'm not exactly comfortable either.
that single mothers struggle on the pension with 2 kids??

I just found out that i will be getting around $1150 per fornight. Thats great money for staying at home raising your children.

I pay high rent, and i know that this will be enough to keep me and the kids comfortable and we wopnt have to sacrifise the things i thought that we would.

Everyone's money is tight at the moment, but i think we are pretty lucky to have a government that support parents staying home with their kids so well.

I am a single mum of 3 and you get more than I do a fortnight! My kids are always clothed and fed and have a roof over there heads and all bills paid, however it is a struggle Before you come on here and gloat about how easy it is, I really think you should give it a try, its not as easy as you think. I normally would not respond to a post that annoys me, but this one has really upset me. I do my best to make sure my kids don't miss out on things and have everything they need by going without things myself, and you come on here and make out that raising kids on the pension should be an easy job. Good on you if you can make it work and still have money left over to save. The only debt I have is a car loan and I don't have credit cards or anything so I can't imagine how others would survive that have higher debts than I do.
Sign in to follow this topic