Huggies Forum

Message to Single Mums Rss

Hi

I am a married mother to a 7.5 mth little girl. The past 2 weeks my husband has been away overseas on a business trip and for the first week my mum stayed with me to help out. Since she has gone, it has made me realise how challenging it is to take care of a baby on my own on a full-time basis.

It has made me think about single mothers and how much strength and courage they have!! I think it takes tremendous effort and commitment to raise a child and I commend all single mothers out there who are doing it on their own! So to all of you amazing people - congratulations, you are an inspiration!!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Thank you! So many people think of us single mums as a huge drain on society, but in fact I work to support my kids and do the best I can for them. It is hard, no two ways about it - when my baby was sick and in hospital the stress and lack of sleep nealy killed me, but it is also so rewarding. It's so nice to be complimented - you've made my day!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Good on you Mum-to Gabriella - you make such a good point. My Husband is often away for weekend and two-week stretches and I am left alone with four kids. I actually enjoy the time out occasionally as it is nice to miss each other sometimes! BUT I am always safe in the knowledge that he is always coming home soon. Single Mums who slog it out day after day on their own with minimal support are just incredible. To know that some-one is coming home to watch the kids while you grocery shop or take a bath or go out is a luxury married mums can really take for granted. My husband is busy but is very hands-on when he is home. My friends who are doing it alone are amazing women who just keep on going day after day, to be the best parent they can be. Juggling access and money and all that is such a pressure. Well done to those who find a balance. I try hard to do what I can for my single friends by taking their kids for an afternoon occasionally, or invite them for dinner at our place for some company and a break from cooking! Good on you single Mums and know that we don't all see you as a 'drain' on society. Mothering well is the best contribution you can make to your country to raise great people for the next generation - whether you earn a paycheck or not.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Emmy-Lou

I am so glad that you read my message and realised that not all of us have a bad perception of single mums!! In fact it's quite the opposite. I really do admire women who are on their own and have the commitment to raising children. As Nyrrek so correctly pointed out - mothering is the best contribution you can make - raising the future generation!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

not all single mums are a drain on society i hate to say it but a few are. i know one.. she has had 5 children to 5 different men just to get paid to sit at home and let her children stalk the streets til stupid hours.

my mother was a single mother and she gave me the courage to do what i wanted. she was single til i was 5. she raised me by herself and she did the most amazing job. i am proud of all you single mothers out there who are raising your children. working or not working. it is a hard job but the most rewarding.

you're doing a great job. keep it up.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

hi i'm a single mum of 3 boys and its nice to know not all people think we are a drain. i know what u mean about the mum with 5 kids i know a couple to and it makes it hard on other mums.

bec NSW mum of 3

Hi I'm new to the forum (so please go easy on me lol).

I'm a single mum - I have been for 9 years - I have worked full time in law since I became single. On Monday I found out I was pregnant again (I'm 38 and freaking out a little) but the dad (who I have been seeing for nine months) has decided he has enough kids (3) and he doesn't want to have anything to do with this one or me anymore. Its been an exhausting week smile.

My son is stoked - he's always wanted a little brother or sister and I'm excited because I had been told that I would never get pregnant (once let alone twice). I'm looking at this as a gift and a blessing and my family is very supportive (so is my boss).

We're not due until next March - but I'm going to work 4 days a week and I'm currently studying full time and being a mum full time but I've discussed my options with the boss and he's willing to let me work from home from when I choose to go on "maternity leave".

There are some friends who are going to show their true colours and write me off but I know that there are also going to be some great friends who choose to support me.

Its lonely being a single mum but I'm not scared. Its nice to know that not everyone thinks single mums are burdens on the community.
Thanks, I'm usually pretty positive about the whole single mum thing but today it sucks arse. Just had to walk away from the biggest opoortunity of my career to pick up my little one who was running a temp. Pretty devestated as this opportunity probably wont come up again, but kids first hey.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU i cant say this enough u have just made my stupid week thanks for the confidence boost......

Sign in to follow this topic