Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Child Care = Social Skills?? Rss

For the third time in the last week or so, i have had someone tell me that my child NEEDS to go to day care so that she can learn social skills.
one person told me that kids who go to day care are smarter.
one told me that child care teaches them things that parents cant
and one told me that they NEED the social interaction without their parents around.

Now, i have no problem with parents who work using child care, but these sound like major cop outs to me.
And i find it interesting that all three comments from all three people, are ones whose children are in day care 4 and 5 days a week.

is this something they really believe or just something to ease their guilt for putting them in care so often?
because i find it offensive to be told my child would be smarter if left to be cared for by a stranger!
I dont think so, my 3 year old has never been in childcare and she is so outgoing and very social - she attends lots of activities with other kids and adults.
Emma i get told on a weekly basis that my son needs to go to childcare for blah blah reasons... and guess by whom?? my inlaws.. im like if i was going to send him to childcare i would of not quit my fabulous job.. (ive only been a stay at home mum for 6 months)

That 'excuse' pi$$es me off NO END! It is a cop out.
CRAP!
Oh tell me about it M2A. I get told Ds should be in daycare and asked when am I going to put Dd in daycare? (she's only 11 months!)

I think it's a cop out as well, my kids see other children quite often during the week and I think it's great for them to see me happy with the other mums too.
well i do send my kids to daycare 2 days a week, not the baby of course, ( i have worked and been a SAHM for some of the time with all of my kids while they were there) and for me I feel my kids dont actually come into themselves until prep or it was grade 1 before prep. My kids are pretty much loners and play by themselves at daycare, so even if it was for social interactions, they would be failing. I actually think they just like the break from their siblings and not have to share anything they play with.. So alhtough i do send my kids, I would never tell others what their kids need or should be doing..
i dont think it means they are smarter at all ect but i think having my son there 1 day a week does him the world of good he has a ball and is a very social boy and learns things that we havnt thought to teach yet i love that he comes out with phrases, actions ect that i havnt done regularly with him and being with the other children pushes him further than i sometimes can as far as learning also being heavily preg and not having access to our yard its great for him to have that day to play outside and have a break from the norm . i would love to put him in a extra day when bubs comes if we can financially and it is also getting him ready for when i return to work to feel comfortable being away from me for a few days a week. another think is it allows him to learn to trust other ppl to comfort him and know he can b away from me and still feel safe

Posted by: alwaysawake
well i do send my kids to daycare 2 days a week, not the baby of course, ( i have worked and been a SAHM for some of the time with all of my kids while they were there) and for me I feel my kids dont actually come into themselves until prep or it was grade 1 before prep. My kids are pretty much loners and play by themselves at daycare, so even if it was for social interactions, they would be failing. I actually think they just like the break from their siblings and not have to share anything they play with.. So alhtough i do send my kids, I would never tell others what their kids need or should be doing..

yvette if i had as many kids as you i think i would sending a couple off as well lol.
I cop this ALL the time. It infuriates me. I am a stay at home mother. My "job" is to raise my children. To teach them social skills, encourage and help him to learn etc.

I don't need strangers and a huge group of children to teach my children these life skills and in no way would i ever want them to. I treasure every second with my babies and enjoy teaching them all these things.

I appreciate childcare as an option for women who need to utilise it for financial reasons. But for me and my family, childcare is definately never ever going to be something that we use (again, unless we unfortunately need it for financial reasons).

Don't let people try to encourage you to do something you don't want to. I am sure that SOME people, only do this to justify to themselves why they send their children there.
lol, by the time no 4 comes along, the guilt somehow disappears.. with a lot of things..lol
personally I find childcare great for my daughter to learn how to interact with other kids and adults without me to fall back on.

childcare/kindy etc have great benefits as does staying at home all or most of the time with Mum.

Each child is different and reacts differently to all situations.

I don't think kids NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED childcare but i personally think a day or two after the age of 2 or 3 is good for my kids.

And it saves my sanity too!!

AND I have found my 2nd child, although she loves her big sister, really likes the two days she and I have together and she gets some peace to play by herself too.
Sign in to follow this topic