Huggies Forum

Live for today Lock Rss

hi, i have just caught up with an old friend from high school who i hadnt seen for 2 1/2 years, and i just wanted to share this story.

when we were at school, we werent really close, but we'd chat when we could. after graduating, we lost contact altogether. anyway, on saturday, i saw him. after chatting away for a while, i told him how i'd moved out of home, got engaged, had a baby, now planning a wedding etc. things that i thought were important. it absolutely blew me away when he said that he had broken his back last year. you just dont think it would ever happen to anybody you know. it made me think twice about the things i thought were important to me. he had an accident while riding a motorbike. the doctors told him he would never walk again, and that he had 2 choices. first, he could accept that he would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life (he was only 18) or he could have an operation to try to repair the spinal cord. it was a risky operation which could've left him in pain for the rest of his life, but he decided to give it a try. IT WORKED! he now has a steel rod going up his spine, and went through 6 months of laying flat, then another 6 months of rehab. he's doing great now.
anyway, getting to the point of the post... he has got a tattoo on his back, above the scar that reads "live for today and dont look back". he said that having this experience has totally changed the way he looks at life and the things he does. he is living, not just existing.
all us mothers (and fathers) should be living for today. not looking back and thinking what if? or i should've done this different. look at your children and realise what you have achived. your children live for today, they dont waste a single day of their lives. and they dont look back. look forward to the future, because you cant change the past. it has shaped who you are, but doesnt have to shape who you become.
dont let your babies turn into children then teenagers then adults while you're still sitting in one spot. LIVE with them! SHARE their life with them. GROW with them and most importantly.....LOVE THEM!

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

very very true tania. One of my firends in my mothers group almost died following the birth of her second baby two weeks ago. Aj is now almost ten months and I still worry that I didnt breastfed him longer than a month(not that I could feed him for 20hrs a day anyways). It finally sends it home when its someone you know - get over the petty stuff and live your life. I have my two healthy happy kids. I am healthy and happy so is my hubby whats to complain about.
Glad to hear your friend had such a good outcome.
Bec

Bec, NsW, charlie 5, AJ almost 3

Sign in to follow this topic