Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

2 yr old behavoir Rss

i hate to admit but my almost 2 yr old is a damn nuisance at times . i think that aliens took my good little man & swapped him for someone else! he whacks me in the face while i try to put him in the car seat/ high chair etc & grabs the spooon then throws it on the floor luckily it is not the bowl. i should not be surprised as have been there b4 as i also have a 4 yr old & one who will be 3 in 2 months. on the plus side i really should not complain as he is a great eater & sleeps so well & is generally a happy little boy with a big grin for every one. he has just yesterday learnt to lift his bottom up in the air on cue when changing his nappy i say bottom up & the bottom goes up which makes it easy to slide the nappy under then say bottom down & he puts his bottom down

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

know how you feel. i have a 2 yr old too.

she is usually really good. (has two naps a day she puts herself down for ) usually between 11-2 and then again about 4-5 and then goes to bed at 9:30-10.00 and sleeps 16 hours a night. she aint a great eater still mainly bottles but she is over 15kgs so the docs aint worried.

she cracks tantrums good sometime (not often but often enough) usually when she is tired. i know how you feel sometimes (like yesterday morning) i got so mad at her i got her daddy to come help i dont like smacking her when i am really angry as you never know how hard your smacks are...

she is in the "phase" of taking her nappy off and painting.. yes painting. its such a joy. but i cant get her to sit on a toilet or potty tried EVERYTHING bribing, letting her use it as a seat so its not intimidating, tried everything i can possibly think of but she just aint ready and i aint gonna push the issue anymore than i have.
thanks for listening.
narelle

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi mummies,

If it means anything, i have just been thru all of that with my now just 3 yo. The nappy painting, the argueing and the blatent nautiness. The clinic nurses, use to tell me that some time from 2.5 onwards, children start to WANT to please their parents.

Now my daughter is starting to become human, and she turned 3 in July. Now she will help with SOME picking up of the toys and just generally wants mum to be happy.

There is hope guys, they will get better!

Tepe

PS but now i have a 1 yo following in her footsteps....HELP!

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

I've got some really predictable and time-worn advice if you want to hear it!? I have been thru this stage (and doing it now with my number three) with my first two treasures and it is enough to get you down. I found the only way to really perservere through it is to be totally consistent. My eldest child (boy) especially was very headstrong and relentless in trying to get his own way. I had to have the same rules all day, every day, no matter what. It is exhausting, I know, but when the rules change from one day to the next, little children find it hard to know where the boundaries are. All kids need to know where the boundaries are and the consequences for crossing them. I actually had to start letting my son watch a video at the same time every afternoon so that when he was really naughty, I had something to take away as punishment. (I don't like that word, though!) As a mum it is so easy just to give in and say "do what you like" and not follow through, but this is so confusing for your kids. I could get to the end of the day and be absolutely wrecked, but it is so beneficial in the long run. My older kids are now 9 and 5.5 and are, for the most part, polite and well behaved. Most of the time they are really great to be around, and other people enjoy their company too. Because they know the rules and the consequences (which depend on the age and nature of each child) they know how to behave and what is expected of them. In a few years you will start to see the 'fruit' of all the hard work and it is so worth it! It is hard to see the way out now, but be consistent and you will push thru, I promise. Of course, you have to pick your battles carefully and not waste too much energy on the small stuff. Give them a little choice in making decisions and they will feel a little powerful and 'in control'. Like letting them choose a coloured shirt (two choices only!) or a type of juice or something. Sometimes this is all they are looking for - a little bit of control, within your boundaries. It really does go so fast - enjoy it as much as possible. YES my kids still have their tantrums occasionally and try to take me on - but they always know Mum rarely backs down! All the very best for the 'terrific two's' and beyond...

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Nyrrek,

That could not have been better said! Cheers to you!

From my last post, i am hoping to achieve something along your lines. I am hoping this is the beginning of something.

Tepe

Hi nyrrek, What great advice!! I too am going through the lovely 2 year old stage and some days I am pulling my hair out. His favourite word at the moment is NO NO NO and pushes you away while saying it. A friend of mine told me the other day that she personally found when her son turned 3 to be worse than the 2's........

Thanks for the tips I will certainly put a few of your ideas into place starting tomorrow!!

Chat soon
Hi everyone,

Yes, somethings are worse with 3 yo's. They have opinions, and can now make judged decisions about what they want. For example dinner is becoming a nightmare, because she wants this or that.

Fortunately for me, these negative things are far outweighed by the improvements now. I am hoping that my consistant rules and acceptable behaviour, are finally sinking in for her.

So there is hope, not all 3 yo's are wose than 2 yo's!

Tepe

I agree completely with the 3 year old being more difficult, sometimes. My advice I gave earlier was relating to when my little one was closer to 3 than 2. I'm glad that you all replied - I thought my post was so long-winded after I posted it - I was worried you would all think I was nuts! The main thing I rember about my very bright almost three year old saying to me was " Mummy, if I put my sandwihich in the video will I get a smack?" I nearly fell over!! Isaid "Yes you'll get a smack - and now that you know the answer you'll get two smacks!". Well sure enough, when my back was turned, he put it in the video - he thought it was worth the smacks to see what happened. This was the day I realised smacking was never going to cut it for him. (7 years ago now). Depriving him of priveleges was, and is still, the only way to get thru to him. It used to be videos, now it's the gameboy! Good on you Mums - Have a great week. Take a deep breath, like I do, and say "This, too, shall pass".

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Nyrrek,

I TOTALLY agree on the depriving thing. My 3 year(who knows everything!!!) old hates being smacked, (as I hate doing it too) however it just doesn't sink in for her. I have to take things away & thats what hurts her more & then she gets the message.

I hate it when I have to do this but as you say, you need to set boundaries & stick to them.

Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi everyone,

I don't want to get into the smacking debate, but it will NEVER work for us! I think my daughter would be horrified that i would do something to her, that i have repeatedly told her not to do!

She is also tough as nails, and for me to hurt her, i just couldn't do it!

So far she is responding very well to TIME OUT in her bedroom! She rarely gets there, but the threat is enough!

Goodluck everyone,

Tepe

Hello nyrrek, I promise I would never think you were nuts. I personally love reading your posts, you have the best things to say!

Now everyone you are starting to concern me..........I thought once I got through this 2 year old thing I was through the woods, but after reading things here......AAAARRRRRR.

My brother told me once its the obnoxious 1's, then the terrible 2's and then the trying 3's. I guess he knows what he is talking about, he has 3 children.

My poor husband is having a hard time getting his head around having to negotiate and reason with a 2 year old. I am constantly saying "Darling you are trying to make sense out of a 2 year old" Then I just put the same silly look on my face and he gives up. I dont have the heart to tell him just wait until he turns 3!!

Oh well at least we will still have each other to help, support and of course laugh with or it that at?.

Happy Parenting..........
Hi guys, great reading!! My darling is nearly 19 months old and we are just starting the dinner battles. It really does get you down sometimes. I just laugh when friends with a new baby say how difficult it is or how exhausting it can be. I just want to say to them well it just gets worse!! When he gives me a cuddle and nice wet open mouth kiss it is all worth it of course!!

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Sign in to follow this topic