Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Also... what is RTR icing and where do i get it?

Also... what is RTR icing and where do i get it? Lock Rss

as above!

im attempting to make Toots an upsy daisy cake for her bday n wanna do a trial one!

any help would be GREATLY appreciated! TIA!
Ready to roll - im guessing you can get orchid stuff from the supermarket or you can go to a cake supply shop.

Im thinking about attempting an upsy daisy to so im interested to see how you go then you can give me pointers lol

LOL thanks Natty. It will be an interesting experience thats for sure lol!

JUST gotta do the invitations! Thats proving to be difficult at the moment!
Can you find a pic on google and photoshop it yourself and make them up yourself

natty is right you can get the orchid stuff but it isnt as nice as the bakels RTR from the cake shops and tis much easier to work with aswell!!! for ideas for cakes and inspiration go to www.cakecentral.com and look under search or just check out there pics sooo many so much inspiration there when i need inspiration i go there all the time

anyways good luck and a trail is very smart idea working with rtr or orchid fondant can be tricky xoxo
Posted by: pixieinoz
natty is right you can get the orchid stuff but it isnt as nice as the bakels RTR from the cake shops and tis much easier to work with aswell!!! for ideas for cakes and inspiration go to www.cakecentral.com and look under search or just check out there pics sooo many so much inspiration there when i need inspiration i go there all the time

anyways good luck and a trail is very smart idea working with rtr or orchid fondant can be tricky xoxo

great to find out that bakels is better now! I don't have cake shops nearby and just bought a couple of packs of orchard icing today for DD's cake this weekend!!!!

So any tips you want to share to make my efforts less tricky??
Oh and another Q.

You know how some cakes with RTR icing look shiny and glossy.

How do you make it like that?

I had a fiddle with orchard icing the other week as I had never used it before, and it looked dull after I had covered a cake.

Any hints and tips??
anybody??
i find bakels easier to work with as it is more 'forgiving' - as in if you bump it you can easily smotth the marks out.
Orchard is good so dont worry, but its just personal preferance really.

With bakels, to get the shiny finish, you can just rub the surface with a ball of the same coloured icing, but make sure it is soft soft soft!!

you can buy it in bulk, round $50 for 7 kilos but it freezes really well if you wrap it and store it properly...

Where do u buy this bakels stuff?

Is it already coloured? What is it exactly lol like a powder or something? im so lost!

How the heck am i gonna make a friggin upsy daisy cake with this stuff lol when i dont even know what the frig im doing OR what it looks like lol!?
Posted by: MrsM.M.-ceo-Of-household
i find bakels easier to work with as it is more 'forgiving' - as in if you bump it you can easily smotth the marks out.
Orchard is good so dont worry, but its just personal preferance really.

With bakels, to get the shiny finish, you can just rub the surface with a ball of the same coloured icing, but make sure it is soft soft soft!!

you can buy it in bulk, round $50 for 7 kilos but it freezes really well if you wrap it and store it properly...

Thanks L! Love your cake for your doula too! Very cute!!

Does the same method work to make the orchard icing have a glossy look? Well not a dull look anyway?

Posted by: Jazzz
Where do u buy this bakels stuff?

Is it already coloured? What is it exactly lol like a powder or something? im so lost!

How the heck am i gonna make a friggin upsy daisy cake with this stuff lol when i dont even know what the frig im doing OR what it looks like lol!?

You could pay Lucy to make you one and post it down! She's awesome at cakes!!
Sign in to follow this topic