Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. TENS.. labour. opinions etc please!

TENS.. labour. opinions etc please! Rss

Hi ladies.

I just heard about TENS today for use during labour.
I was interested to know if anyone here has used it or knows a story of someone who has.
Any opinions from someone who has researched this etc are more then welcome too. thank you.

I used a TENS with my first labour and found it really good for the start when the niggly pains were there, but as labour intensified it annoyed me. I wanted the freedom of a bare back so I could go into the shower when I wanted and Hubby to rub the back non stop! But definately good for the start! If you can use one from the hospital see if they will let you have a trial run to see what it feels like.

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

I never got the chance to try one out so I can't comment on what they are like, but a few of my friends said that it didn't really help them in labour it's self but it did help with before & after pains such as back ache at the end of yoru pregnancy and tummy pains after birth
you can now hire tens machines from www.hireforbaby.com if your insterested

I agree with the pp - I was all set to use it with DS1's labour. It didnt help me at all in regards to labour pain, and almost made me feel like I was claustrophobic? Who knows why, but I remember ripping it off and throwing it at my DH! lol smile
I tried it, and found it mostly annoying. But if you're keen for a drug-free birth, and you can hire/borrow one (I hired mine from a local pharmacy), then you might as well give it a go, you never know it may work for you, and keep you home through enough of the labour that you don't need drugs for the pain-relief.
thanks heaps for the replies so far! smile
I do want a completely drug free labour, so was hoping this might help me a little.
I will be on and off monitoring machines due to having a VBAC so shower or bath wont be an option anyway.
but hmmm i just dont know hehe only about $65 to hire it for 5 weeks though so not all that big cost! i wonder if it has worked really well for anyone.
please keep the replies coming!

bump, for anyone else to see. smile

I used a TENS machine for the labour of my first DS and I loved it!!!! It helped me so much, My waters got broken at 10 am and i put it on straight away just to have it there for when my contractions started, the feeling of it was weird at first but i soon got used to it and was able to put it higher or lower whenever I wanted to, by about 2pm the sensations started feeling weird because it was on its highest setting and it felt like my back was a bit tender but i then decided to get in the bath and once I had it off I wanted it back on but got into the bath instead, I would say give it a go because having it on made me not have any pain relief for the first 9 hrs of my labour (I had a epidural at 7pm)

Sign in to follow this topic