Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Important - Karicare De-Lact and AR users

Important - Karicare De-Lact and AR users Rss

I just heard today at the chenist that they are going to be out of stock for possibly 2 to 3 months!!!!! Apparently the manufacturer can not source the main ingredient.

So..... buy up if you see stock or be prepared to change brands. I rang around and only 1 out of 4 chemists had it, so I bought the last 4 tins. I am close to weining Jack onto lactose free milk anyway.... phew!

Is OVER rude people

Have you seen a paed to get him diagnosed correctly?
You will find that paeds dont use off the shelf products for cows milk allergies they give you a script for either Elecare or Neocate which are lactose free formulas plus as the child medically requires them you get an authorised script which makes the formula cheaper than off the shelf.
Posted by: 2_princesses
You will find that paeds dont use off the shelf products for cows milk allergies they give you a script for either Elecare or Neocate which are lactose free formulas plus as the child medically requires them you get an authorised script which makes the formula cheaper than off the shelf.

sorry your not talking to me, but my DD, i suspect, is lactose sensitive. my reasoning is she has bad constipation from cows milk, or formula with lactose in it. i took it upon myself, after so many doctors told me nothing was wrong to place her on lactose free milk. i have not looked back. she is happier, and thriving, and actually gaining more weight, since being on it. i even took her to a paed, who ran some test, which came back clear. so he just told me i am doing the right thing, and continue it, as it works for us, but i did not receive a script for anything, except something to help her bowels move with normal cows milk.. sad since my poor girl has had the same problem since starting on formula at 6 weeks old.. and is now just shy of 17 months old..

not all babies with lactose problems can get a script, and as my daughter is 100% better on lactose free milk, i assume that Lactose was, and is the problem...

what i am getting at is her boy may not have a diagnosed issue.. it could be similar to my little girl, who was brushed off as having no problem. when no one helps, i was willing to try anything to get her better, and this just so happened to work

my doctor diagonosed both my daughters and they were both put on s26 lactose free on authority script, so are you saying that he gave my daughters the wrong formula. If all pead's don't use off the shelf products why is there a market for them? I'm sure alot of people would prefer it if we didn't have to worry about lactose in the formula. Also it is mostly for intollences not for allergies.
Posted by: 2_princesses

I have asked my GP along with another GP in the same clinic several times and they keep telling me to wait till his is 12 months old. They both advised to wein him onto normal milk and see how he goes. If he still shows intollerance to milk and milk products then they will take a stool sample for testing.

He had lots of wind issues as a baby, from both ends... lol, and he had a really bad bout of diarroeah that was on and off for 2 weeks. At around the same time he started bringing up custards and yoghurts... so I eliminated them from his diet and he was put onto the de-lact formula. There was an immediate improvement with his poo's and there was no more bringing food up.

The cost of the formula was never an issue and I never bothered to ask for it on a script as they kept suggesting that I put him back onto the normal formula, everytime I did the diarroeah would start again.

Is OVER rude people

hey michelle did you want me to see if my local chemists have some in stock and grab a few tins as i have 2 chemists at my local shops
Posted by: miss jemma-lee
my doctor diagonosed both my daughters and they were both put on s26 lactose free on authority script, so are you saying that he gave my daughters the wrong formula. If all pead's don't use off the shelf products why is there a market for them? I'm sure alot of people would prefer it if we didn't have to worry about lactose in the formula. Also it is mostly for intollences not for allergies.

Not saying that your child was incorrectly given the wrong formula or there isnt a market for off the shelf products just simply there are other options available.

My dd has a dairy allergy and just letting the op know that if she was able to see a paed for their diagnosis they can give her a script for something like Elecare or Neocate which are amino acid based formula's so they are gentler on tummies and contain basically nothing the child can be allergic too. she wouldnt then have to worry about a short fall in formula which she may experience on the karicare.

My dd was told many things - her exczma was just a heat rash, then in was infantile exczma. Told that her vomitting wasnt an issue, that her refusal to feed was ok. That her not drinking for up to 9hrs at a time was ok 'obviously she just wanted comfort not to be fed' was another reasoning.
Her constant green poo's and diarreah wasnt a problem because she was alert and not lathargic.

It took a paed one visit to diagnose her and I too havent looked back.

2 princesses there is a HUGE difference between lactose intolerant and a cows milk allergy! The lactose free formula is fine for lactose intolereant babies as it has no lactose in it. Its still cows milk but with the lactose removed. An allergy is the body reacting and unable to digest certain proteins in cows milk that is why neocate/eleclare/pepti jr are needed. A lactose intolerant child not does not need to seea paed if the lactose free formula is working fine. If it is only an intolerance the problem is resolved. In both cases They can grow out of it.
I use Karicare AR and Ive noticed lately that supply is slowing down, I actually bought 4 tins from a chemist this morning because it was the 3rd chemist I went to for it! Im putting him on cows milk soon so hopefully it wont be a problem if they go completely out of stock!!
Sign in to follow this topic