Huggies Forum

Please tell me someone else Lock Rss

feels like i do?

DS is going on 21months soon and still no talking yet! He was saying a few words a few months ago now its just Dadda!

I talk all day, we read first thing in the morning, during the day and at night.

We went to gymbaroo today every single child in there was talking apart from our little man.

I feel like i have failed him for some reason. like its my fault that he cant talk yet and i havent been doing enough at home. Im getting quite upset over it, maybe its just the pregnancy hormones, who knows!

We are seeing our pedeatrician soon so will talk about seeing a speech therapist. I have heard that the waiting list can be very long so to get in early and i guess there is no harm in putting his name down.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has been through this before?

Hey Ness, Cohen was exactly the same. Don't give up hope because one day Cohen wasn't talking at all and then over night he started picking up a few more words and now at 3 he's doing really well!

Cant hurt to put his name down. Cohen's still on the waiting list after 9 months but apart from his lisp he probably doesn't need it anymore
Thanks Denae. Everyone keeps saying he will start talking over night lol he just doesnt look interested at all. I told the lady at gymbaroo how he gags alot on his food doesnt matter what he eats big or small he gags and she said to get that checked out.

She gave me a few things to do in the mean time like blowing bubbles, blowing through a straw, blowing baloons off my hand. Apparently that can help so will if that helps a bit.

hi there dd has just turned 3 and she has just started in the last 3 months putting 2 words 2gether we went to the ENT to do a hearing test she has perfect hearing so we have no idea why she was not talking i look at other 3 year old and u can understand what they are saying with dd i cant =(

i put dd in day care and she has picked up a few more words and songs that they sing

[Edited on 17/09/2009]
Posted by: zachandlilysmummy
hi there u r not a failure dd has just turned 3 and she has just started in the last 3 months putting 2 words 2gether we went to the ENT to do a hearing test she has perfect hearing so we have no idea why she was not talking i look at other 3 year old and u can understand what they are saying with dd i cant =(

thats exactly how i feel! I know kids grow at diff rates and all that hoo haa lol but you cant help feel that way. His hearing is good last time we checked.

Ive read alot on here that people left it too late so maybe im being paranoid and want to get on it early jsut incase ifykwim

Hey there,

I didn't speak until after 3 and my first sentence was 'holy sh it Daddy' lol. My parents read to me every night - so do not feel like a failure. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. He will when he is ready smile
If you are worried get him to see a Speechie. Just wanted to let you know that sometimes there is nothing wrong. Good Luck.
Cheers
[Edited on 17/09/2009]

Posted by: Melly-trish
Hey there,

I didn't speak until after 3 and my first sentence was 'holy sh it Daddy' lol. My parents read to me every night - so do not feel like a failure. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. He will when he is ready smile
Cheers

Thanks smile

Mum was saying i didnt start till i was 3 as well and DH was 4!

Oh and Cohen didn't start really talking or putting 2 or 3 words together until about 4 or 5months ago smile Just remember you little man is not even 2 and still a baby smile
Hey Ness,

Ryan is the same age and he doesn't say much at all. He will ocassionaly say abll, bubba, mumma, dadda and otehr words but someday he will not say a word at all.

I am not going to stress to much as I have a friend who is a speech pathologist and she visits regularly so I know it is ok. DH was almost 5 before he decided to talk so I also not worried cause of that.

Compared to other kids we see around and to his older brother he doesn't talk at all but take heart and remember that it can be ok not to talk.

I know it hard to to stress over it though. The biggest concern would be if he wasn't making any noises or saying the occassional word.

currently being updated please check back later.

OMG I felt like this about 12 months ago! I even wrote a thread about it myself!

Noah was talking so minimally at 2 years old I was on the verge of taking him to speech therapy, worrying so much about him yet trying to remind myself boys do develop slower than girls (on average).

Then one day he just hit about 2 1/2 and BAM started picking up everything, first more and more words then stringing 2 and 3 words together then full sentences. Now hes a little parrot you cant shut him up.

Try to ignore that mothers guilt! You havent failed him! Some kids get there earlier some later. NOah always met every other developmental milestone earlier than average and has always been a kid more interested in physical activities than taking the time to stop and concentrate on learning to talk LOL

I am sure in a few months you will wishing you could shut him up!!

Incidentally, the thread I wrote all that time ago is still floating around and it had some AWESOME replies in regards to activities on how to encourage his speech, I will find it for you and put the link here smile

here you go <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span> chin up hon xx

Posted by: noah06*india09
here you go <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span> chin up hon xx

Oh im sitting here crying because you ladies are too nice lol damn hormones!!!!

thank you so much for the link. its so hard knowing what they should and shouldnt be doing than people say dont worry than people say get him seen. Arrrgghh

thanks again i feel alot better and happy i brought it up

<span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
[Edited on 17/09/2009]

Sign in to follow this topic