Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Small child being aneathetised (sp?)

Small child being aneathetised (sp?) Lock Rss

have you had any experience with a small child being aneathitised (sorry about lack of spelling skills today) for a minor medical exam? There is talk of this being done to my almost 8 month old for an MRI on his skull.

How long do they 'keep' them in hospital for? I imagine it would be day only? Are they out of sorts for a few days afterwards?
Any experiences would be appreciated..

Our lil man has had 2 lots of anaesthetics first was when he was a day old second was when he was about 8 mths for an endoscopy.

After the endoscopy he was allowed to go home about an hr after the procedure finished.. basically we had to wait around in recovery to make sure all the effects had worn off.
We gave him a bottle while we were their then took him home n he went to bed had a lil sleep then was pretty much as per normal for the rest of the day. Provided they dont have a reaction to the anaesthetic then as soon as the effects have worn off they let you go.

thankyou.

Annika had an op at 9mths, I went into the theatre with her, craddled her in my arms, while they put the mask on her face to go to sleep. I wont kid you, it's horrible to see, but I would have rather been in there holding her than in the waiting room KWIM?
After her op and she had started to wake, they came and got me, after some obs and her having a feed and a bickie we were allowed to take her home.
She pretty much slept most of the day, but was fine the next day.

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

Inara has been under twice for ops, first at 4 days and the second at 4 weeks. The first time she was ok after, the second she reacted to it. Couldnt keep her feeds down, but she was in hospital until 5 weeks. Each time after, she was sleepy but just liked to be cuddled.

She has had heaps of MRI's, CT scans and ultrasounds on her head to check that the shunts are working properly.

Do they not do the fast, feed and wrap at your hospital? I only ask because this is what they do at mine. You fast them for 4 hours before the mri, then feed and wrap them so they go to sleep just before they do the scan. It works so you dont have to do the GA. I will say it is hard, for bubby and parent, And Inara hates it, but while it works we will do it that way rather than a GA.

I remember one of my friends had to take their son in for an op at about that age( he is now 18, yrs not months lol) and she was not allowed to hold him or give him a cuddle as he could smell the milk, so Lucy,you might want to have someone else there in case he gets stroppy as he cant drink.Anyway I am sure everything will be fine

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

My little boy has just turned three and squashed his finger really badly in the door and had to go in to get it cleaned and the nail put back in place.
He just went in on Tuesday. They will only have him out for the time they need to. It is more stressful for the parents then it is for the kids. Connor satyed for a few hours after that just to make sure he was ok and they got him to eat and drink a little while after and he was happy and fine.

Connor was fine pretty much straight away after it, if anything he was a little sleepy but thats all.

If you just think of it as they have gone to sleep in the car and are just sleeping it might help. I guess its worse if they are having an op. Being 8 months your little one prob wont like having something in their face, but they are fine.

Lilly had her first at 6 mths and straight after theatre she went for an MRI awake. Not sure why they did it when she woke, actually it has only just occured to me she wouldn't of been able to move because of plaster lol. Once Ollie is awake and has had a bf and food all should be good to go home, providing that is all that needs to be done on the day. What hospital do you have to go to?
If it's more of a sedation thing to keep him still, can you request they just use some gas?? I think that would mean you wouldn't have to fast him and it wears off quicker/less drowsey after.
If it is not an invasive proceedure then I would expect him to be released same day.
Thanks everyone. I have to book another U/S plus an xray for him, and its only if the reporting doc is not happy with findings that we have a MRI. So fingers crossed. The fluid on his brain is not subsiding (?) and he had a big noggen...but i think thats more genetics...

cheers.

Thanks everyone. I have to book another U/S plus an xray for him, and its only if the reporting doc is not happy with findings that we have a MRI. So fingers crossed. The fluid on his brain is not subsiding (?) and he had a big noggen...but i think thats more genetics...

cheers.

my son had a anaesthetic at 2 mths for mri for pilonidal cyst on his bottom area.. biggest prob we had was he wanted mummy cuddles but we had to fast him so he could only sit with daddy. He could smell my milk when i got too close. We held his hands until he fell asleep then waited outside.
After all done and he was sufficiently awake, he was allowed to feed (longest feed ever smile ) and then we had to wait a couple hours to make sure he didnt begin to throw up etc.

hope this helps and i hope you wont need the tips smile

Sign in to follow this topic