Huggies Forum

School comparison website Lock Rss

Theres been talk recently of a new website that the government is putting together comparing schools (results etc).

Any idea if its up and running yet, and if so what the websites address is?

Yep sure is, I have been on today already.

www.myschool.edu.au

Mummy to one big little man!!

its is finally up and running. www.myschool.edu.au
it was down earlier in the day but seems ok now.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Thanks ladies

Just checked it out and I think its great.

I certainly wont be sending DD to one of the schools we were considering now that I can see their averages!!!

Great info to know i think before enrolement

I think a downside of it is there were no hsc band results ( not that I could see anyway).My dh is a high school teacher and says that results can change within years with a new principal/ staff etc.I had a look at some of the high schools and none really stood out.I was interested to see the results for my kids school and others close by

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

The issue with this website is it deals in averages so those schools that cater to more special needs students will have thier average brought down when actually they could excel more than another school that doesnt cater so much for special needs students.

Cheers Ness

I think its great. One school I went to used to be a really good school, now looking at that in the last couple of years its gone down hill :S
Keep in mind also that even deadsh1t schools can teach kids the answers to specific testing areas - doesn't mean they have an overall good curriculum.

Also as Ness said - it's averages. One of the local schools here is apparently 'below average' across the board - yet they routinely have high performing students? They also have quite a large special needs program so of course when the average and above average students results are combined with the special needs results to get school averages, the result is going to be lowered somewhat.

I would be extremely cautious about choosing or dismissing a school based solely on the information in this website - it really tells you jack-all about the school and it's true performance.
i know very little about all this i will admit and find the school results confusing.

do the teachers know what the questions are on the NAPLAN tests? cos if they do like LA78 said they can just teach the kids the answers??
i suppose on the same note as above if a school offers a Gifted/Talented Program that would bring their average up. Particularly if other schools in the area don;t have one so all the smart kids go to that school. tongue
I homeschool my kids. But out of interest sake searched the site for my area. WOW the averages in my area are shocking not good at all. All the schools were moderate to well below average in reading and writing. Not good really. But as someone said it is averages.
Posted by: Creative_Ness
The issue with this website is it deals in averages so those schools that cater to more special needs students will have thier average brought down when actually they could excel more than another school that doesnt cater so much for special needs students.

Cheers Ness

You are exactly right there. The school my mum teaches at has the highest special needs unit in the area - it is one of the worst 'performing' schools in the region with NAPLAN

I must admit NAPLAN is ONE of the factors I considered when looking at what school to send our kids to and if that website had of been up when I was deciding I would have referred to it. The school we chose had the best NAPLAN scores in the region! This school (I have since later found out) also reserves the right to not enrol children if their child has a special need that is severe enough that it would result in that one child taking a large chunk of the teacher's time (unless that child is able to get an aide funded to assist that child within the classroom). Now this shows that private schools can be picky and choosy so of course are going to 'score' better

Now this is going to sound snobby but this is also one of the reasons I am happy to budget to be able to afford to pay the fees for private schooling! My mum has worked in the public education system for 25 yrs as an aide. Atm at my mum's school there is approx 5 to 6 special needs kids in every class - to ONE teacher. She has said the other 20 odd kids in the class struggle to learn because these 5 or 6 kids take 90% of the teacher's time (which isn't the kids fault)! I don't expect my kids to become OP 1 students, but I do want them to love school and to give them a fighting chance at learning!

SO I am all for the new school comparison website after that big speel wink
Sign in to follow this topic