Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. can a child have a language delay with out being autistic?

can a child have a language delay with out being autistic? Lock Rss

Where do I begging?

I’m not to sure who I should talk to, I guess at the moment I’m really confused.

I was hoping if you all can share similar stories or give me some advice on what I should do…

Well, here I go….

I’ve got a daughter which is almost 5 years old/. She has started her first week at school and the teachers have noticed some things about her which I dreaded to hear.

I know my daughter has a language delay, out of 1 to 5 I will rate her 3 ½.

The teacher says that my daughter seems to be spaced out at school and they will need to ask her to do something 3-4 times before she does it and her language is delayed.

I think she was trying to say to me that these are the signs of autism.

My daughter is a very active child, always outdoors and very sporty.

She plays well with kids her age and does know the difference between real and pretends.

She plays mothers and fathers, Barbies, hide and seek tiggy board games and her favourite game at the moment UNO…

She knows how to draw things like, people, houses, cars.

Other things include:

Writing and spelling her name
Dressing/undressing
Going to the toiler from the age of 2
Playing educational games on the computer
Knows her numbers and knows how to recognise numbers.
Shapes, colours, up, down.
She talks well with people she knows and has improved dramatically in the last year.
Sings nursery rhymes, songs ect…
Follows instructions
Gets her own drink from the fridge food ect

Really the only difference between her and other 5 year olds would be her language.

I think because she knows she doesn’t talk as well as other 5 year olds her confidence lacks and she become a shy around people she doesn’t know.

Now the thing is she has never been in day care or kindergarten; I was lucky enough to have my mum look after her while my husband and I are at work so she has never been exposed to the school environment.

So I’, not to sure is she is confused about the whole school thing.

Her only problem I could see would be her speech and we are currently working on it and we do see improvement daily.

What really concerns me is when the teacher she is spaced out doesn’t listen and is really lacking behind.

She said that she may need special needs care or else she will lack behind.

Could a child only have a language delay with out autism?

I’m really worried as when she is at home she is the complete opposite from school.

emili 24/02/2005

Could a child only have a language delay with out autism?

In my relatively uneducated opinion, yes certainly!

My daughter is a very active child, always outdoors and very sporty.

She plays well with kids her age and does know the difference between real and pretends.

She plays mothers and fathers, Barbies, hide and seek tiggy board games and her favourite game at the moment UNO…

She knows how to draw things like, people, houses, cars.

Other things include:

Writing and spelling her name
Dressing/undressing
Going to the toiler from the age of 2
Playing educational games on the computer
Knows her numbers and knows how to recognise numbers.
Shapes, colours, up, down.
She talks well with people she knows and has improved dramatically in the last year.
Sings nursery rhymes, songs ect…
Follows instructions
Gets her own drink from the fridge food ect

Really the only difference between her and other 5 year olds would be her language.

Sounds like she's a pretty normal kid, except for the language then, yeah?
Have you taken her to Drs and just gotten an all-over health check?
Does she have problems with her ears at all? ie could her language delay be caused by hearing damage/interference?

Can you/have you taken her to a professional regarding her language/speech?

From what you've written, I wouldn't see autism as being the cause at all!!

If I were you, I'd take her to the Drs and see what they suggest..

I have a friend whose son is developmentally delayed, he has been tested for autism/aspergers but its not either but he is delayed in many things( eg toiletting etc) not just his speech he attends a school which has a support unit for similar kids.Last time I saw them they still do not know what he 'has' he is just developmentally delayed.But this is not going to sound nice but he looks like he has something wrong, not downs but something like that.When he was just a newborn even my hubby commented 'is he ok he looks like he has something wrong with him'.He did not say it to the parents just to me but it was an obviously correct assumption. Please don't take this the wrong way, I just wanted to make a comparison.Could be that your daughter is just finding it difficult to cope with school life after being with you and in her grandparents care.Its probably quite a culture shock and she is not coping as well as others.Best of luck
[Edited on 08/02/2010]

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I'm no expert but She doent sound like she has autism, infact she all but her speach sounds like she is right up there with kids her age.

I would be guessing that being her very First week in any sort of school enviorment would be very very frightening and if it were me I wouldnt talk much either! She also may not understand what the teacher is asking her to do having had no preivous experience at how teachers ask children to do things IYKWIM. She sounds a little insecure and shy is all.
I would tell the teacher what you have told us and go from there.

I would say it's certainly possible she has only a language delay. Does she have any trouble understanding what is said to her, or just with speaking? Have you had her hearing checked? It's possible that she may be having difficulty in school because it's a new environment (ie unsure whether the teacher is addressing her), particularly if her hearing isn't quite right. Is this 'spacing out' something you have noticed at home?

Each child on the spectrum is different BUT there are certain common factors. While speech delay in quite common in ASD kids, autism is not the only cause by any means. IMO the fact that your daughter relates well to other children and engages in pretend play would tend to point away from an ASD diagnosis. Does she have any other unusual behaviours(other than not paying attention)?
Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies.

...she is very normal looking very switched on. I'm not just saying it because she is my daughter but every one comment on how beautiful she is and polite...

Umm, I have not taken her to the doctor, but I have taken her to a speech therapist which said that she has a language delay and not a speech delay.

She doesn’t space out at home, she is really active playing outside with the neighbours, playing with toys or drawing...

I told the teacher what she does at home and was a little shocked when I explained that my daughter tells me what she does at school.

The schools doing ear testing for her but I will also book in sessions privately...

The teacher also mentioned that 2 other teachers mentioned my daughter spacing out and not following instructions.

She is fantastic in following instructions I’ve never had any problems with

emili 24/02/2005

She's probably just struggling a little to keep up with the new environment..
When are these 'spaced out' moments occurring? First thing in the morning or after lunch? The timing could also be a huge factor. The majority of kids struggle a little after lunch coz they've had a big morning, then been running around outside, then are dragged back inside.. I have spaced out moments in the afternoon too!

And if it's first thing in the morning - ie before recess - then she's probably still waking up and getting settled!!

I wouldn't get too concerned - maybe sit down with her teachers and talk to them some more and try to figure out some strategies between you all to get your daughter more engaged.

She certainly sounds very switched on and cluey... just a bit delayed in her language for whatever reason..

Hey there NK,
I would suggest as others have that you take her to the doctors, my DS only spke about 4 - 10 words up until he was 3, no other problems as you stated very active and hugely social would just have to be asked over and over to do things and would not speak (well he would try lol but we could not understand him) it all was caused from his ears, he had glue ear really bad, this was affecting his speach as he could not hear hte sounds correctly and of course this was also affecting his hearing (but more so on one side) he had to have his ears drained and gromits put in, the surgeon said that he would have had approximately only 20% of his hearing when they did the procedure. I would ask the teacher for some sort of documentation and then take that with your little one to the doc and tell them your concerns so they can do a full assessment.
Good luck

Leigha

ETA - just so you know Levi is now often told to be quiet and is commonly known as "the boisterous" one lol, believe me there is no probalem with his speach what so ever and as for the being unable to hear I am positive it has now become selective hearing that he has learnt off one of his older brothers tongue
[Edited on 08/02/2010]

Leigha''s little men smile

Did the teachers actually mention autism because this doesn't sound like it at all. Did she ever lose words? She used to say them but she doesn't anymore? Usually autistic kids develop language and then regress. Normal kids also sometimes do this so don't be alarmed if she does.
She sounds as if she is socially capable. She can make friends and feel empathy for them and is using imaginative play.
Does she have any obsessions?

Autistic kids do look normal, they don't look like there is anything wrong with them.

The only other thing I could think of is epilepsy. Some people have absent seizures where they appear to 'space out' but I'm certain you would have noticed this at home too so if it is just happening at school it is probably more to do with the new environment.

Definitely take her to the drs, it might be something simple.

Hi- I havent read all the replies so sorry f i repeat something.
In a word - YES

I cant believe they have told you that after only A WEEK. Surely they should have left it a little longer- for goodness sakes she's only just (i'm assuming) started school. I wouldn't expect an adult in a new job to be 100% comfortable in a week so why a child?

Anyway. I went through the same thing as my son. Daycare had him assessed as he was anti social, spacing out, had severe speech delay etc so if you have any questions- please don't hesitate to PM me!

He's been having speech therapy for about 9 months now and he is improving a lot. He has also just started a new preschool and is better there than the old place too.

He was officially assessed in November and he does not have autism!
bumping
It’s great to hear that some people have gone through the same thin. The teacher actually said to me if she has been tested for autism, it was a huge shock...

It scares me as to how soon they have assessed my child.. she has always been a little bit slow with her speech she would say things like you like this one instead of do you like this one or can we go park instead of saying can we go to the park.... but as I mention earlier she has improved so much that my husband was gone over sea's for 2 months and could stop saying how much clearer she speaks..

emili 24/02/2005

Sign in to follow this topic