Huggies Forum

Another chicken pox thread. Lock Rss

When I was pregnant I found out I hadd no immunity to Varicella.
Was always told by the midwives at checkups ect that I should have the immunisations after I had bub. I went to my local doctor for my 6 week check up and she said there was no need for it.

Im worried when I fall pregnant again Koby might get chicken pox and then I'd get them and get really sick.

Would you get the immunisation??

Nope, but that's me. LOL

In the other thread I mentioned my FIL who is pushing 70 now. He has NEVER had the CP or had the jab and despite numerous exposures through DS1 he still didn't get them. In my mind, he's immune even if some test would say he wasn't. LOL

DS1 had a minimum (ones we knew about) of FOUR previous exposures to the CP before he finally got them. He got no more than 10 spots, wasn't unwell or anything; in fact if it wasn't FOR the spots, we never would have known he had them.

Do they test for that? I only ever had blood type and immunity to measles, mumps and rubella tested when pregnant both times.

If unsure, i reckon double or triple check with your dr, to see what he thinks.

I am in the same boat as you, well similar. I had an adrenal gland fail on me in my last pregnancy which means i had no immune system working in that time. I was warned to be careful who i cam in contact with etc, cos if one of my children got chicken pox etc and i fell pregnant again, then i could get really sick and then that would effect the baby.

I am just really taking my dr's advice and personally, i would get the vaccination. Espcially if your trying to get pregnant. At least you know you will be covered. (just my opinion)

I am trying to concieve currently and i have been getting booster shots for a few things, including chicken pox, before i fall pregnant.
Chicken Pox is very dangerous when you're an adult. It would probably be a good idea for you to get it. I think the childhood vaccine is unnecessary for most and my DD won't be getting it, but if she hasn't had it by whatever age it becomes a danger then I will encourage her to get it.
I too haven't had chicken pox and so far neither have my kids. I won't be getting vaxed for it and neither will they, as it isn't part of the programme in NZ.

On another note, just over a month I had to stay in a house with my sisters DD who had the full blown chicken pox, like day 2 after the spots have come out, so really contagious, I didn't get them and neither did my kids, even though my DD and niece gave each other the biggest cuddle the minute we turned up and didn't let eachother go the whole time (3 days) we were there.
I am very pro immunisation and yes I would get it done.
But the choice is yours to make

I have looked into the adult vaccine, as i am 27 and i havent had them yet. The DR sent me for the blood test, it came back that i didnt have immunity, but once i found out how much the vaccine was going to cost me, i opted not to have it. Its a chance i will take.
Obviously if there are more children in the horizon for me, then i will look into it again.
Thanks for everyone's replies.
The one doctor I went to for my six week check up told me not to bother, next time I went I asked a different doctor (who is the first ones mother) and she told me that I should get it, because her daughter (the first doc) had them at 21 and was very sick. I hadn't thought about this for ages, but have been thinking about trying for another bub in a few months and just wondering if I should get it before then. Hmm.. A bit confused.

I might just get a 3rd professional opinion.

spunkbubble''''''''smamma, I hadn't even thought about the cost of it, are you able to tell how much you were told it costs?

Thanks again everyone smile

Something else to think about. Studies of children have the immunity from the vaccine waning in as little as THREE years! Most put the average at about 10 years, so if you do have it, you're likely to need boosters from now until you die. LOL Not telling you that to "put you off", but it's not something that most people know about the CP vaccine. In the States they actually added a second dose to their schedule to try and combat the problem, which I think is the reason it now lasts 10 years instead of 3 but still............the other question I would ask myself was had I not known that I was apparently not immune to <insert disease here> would I be worried about it? If the answer is no, it would make my decision that much easier to make but again, that's me and apparently I am a bit weird. hehehehehehe

Jana....you can get the CP vaccine here in NZ, you just have to pay for it. I have heard it's not cheap though. LOL

Posted by: C_hippie_kiwi

Jana....you can get the CP vaccine here in NZ, you just have to pay for it. I have heard it's not cheap though. LOL

I know and I'm way too cheap smile], if your going to get them, well it's going to happen and I think about all the times I've been exposed to them in my life and haven't had them, so I think I'm fairly safe... and if the kids get them, let them get it now when their little.
I know and I'm way too cheap , if your going to get them, well it's going to happen and I think about all the times I've been exposed to them in my life and haven't had them, so I think I'm fairly safe... and if the kids get them, let them get it now when their little.

Isn't it something like $600 to get the CP vaccine?

DS1 had them when he was 4 and a bit, DS2 was 11 weeks. Wish DS2 had been older, but at least they are over and done with. LOL

I just found a stat that says that 70-90% of people who have no recollection of having had CP are actually protected. The thing to remember about titre testing is that it actually gives a skewed picture; it has a range that is used to declare whether you are immune or not, but just because you fall outside those doesn't actually mean that you AREN'T immune. Well that's how I had it explained to me when I queried why I apparently wasn't immune to rubella when pregnant with DS1(had an MMR booster after DS1 was born) but was with DS2. I've actually read some interesting things about using titre levels to declare whether someone is immune to something or not. LOL

I'd get it before i feel pregggers (maybe at least 3months) ccause CP can harm a developng foetus! Dont forget to make sure you've had a recent booster of DTP and rubella as well!!! From what i can gather the Cp vaccine doesn't guarantee you wont get it ever, but it will shorten the duration and decrease the severity of the illness and the current findings show that you cant get shingles for some reason.

Sign in to follow this topic