Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Bullying: Would you stop your child

Bullying: Would you stop your child Rss

Just reading a heap of news stuff about bullying at the moment and because bullying seems to follow kids now into the home over the internet would you stop your kids from having unno msn, facebook, myspace page etc to try n stop either being bullied or participating in bullying???

If they were doing the bullying, definetely. If they were being bullied I dont know.

Just reading a heap of news stuff about bullying at the moment and because bullying seems to follow kids now into the home over the internet would you stop your kids from having unno msn, facebook, myspace page etc to try n stop either being bullied or participating in bullying???

If my child wants their own FB, My Space or whatever page I will not be stopping her. The computer WILL however be in a communal area of the house and computer use WILL be closely monitored and she will be taught how to block those people who are being nasty to her.

I should add that if my daughter was the one bullying or assisting in bullying another child then there would be absolutely no point to her having a FB/My Space page because she would be banned from the computer for anything but homework and that would be supervised by DH or myself but I hope to God that we are never in that situation, in fact I hope to God we are never in either situation.

no face book MSN etc here for any of us at all. end of story so cannot paricipate in it if not on it

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

no face book MSN etc here for any of us at all. end of story so cannot paricipate in it if not on it

thats kinda what i was thinking... is their really a need for kids to have a facebook account etc.. are you kinda just asking for trouble IYKWIM

thats kinda what i was thinking... is their really a need for kids to have a facebook account etc.. are you kinda just asking for trouble IYKWIM

I missed out on all those sort of things while I was living at home and it nade me feel left out sad I dont htinnk there is a need to be on there all time, not everyday.
my kids asked if they can get messenger because Alex( their girl cousin) has it and talks to her friends I said its not necessay I would prefer you to ring them or it can wait until you see them.I said its not good because others could talk to them, pretend to be a kid try to meet you and hurt you.That answer seemed to be satisfactory to them

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I'm with you vkw! No...there will be no Facebook, etc, here for our kids!

My neice (10) and nephew (almost 11) both have facebook. It is set up however that their parents are the only ones that know the password to log them on - so they can only use it supervised (or at least at a time when it is known that is what they are doing). They use it to play the games on there with each other, and to chat. It also means they have access to see family photos etc that are posted.

I can possibly see my kids having that level of access when they are that age - but it's not something I'm going to actively encourage. I also hope to have them in enough out of the house activities that there won't be time to sit on the computer for long each day...

If my child was using the Internet as a means of bullying, then they would be cut off for sure. If they were bullied via the Internet then whoever was attacking them would be blocked. My kids are also taught 'sticks and stones'. Honestly I think there is a lot of childish taunting, name-calling etc that is immediately labelled bullying these days - as opposed to being addressed as naughty childish behaviour, which to me detracts from the real issue of bullying.
well i must say I was of the opinion that there would be none here either haha yeah right that is until the kids all started growing up and at the end of the day I have to trust they are doing the right thing and educate them that others may be doing the wrong thing. The boys understand about people who try to access accounts and also about those who try to be your friend... they know the rules and if are caught breaking them are punished accordingly - ask my 15.5 yr old who has just now got the computer back after a month (longest month of his life I think) at the end of the day with age come responsibility and with that comes respect, I have to respect that my kids will be responsible and I have to be rsponsible for their actions and education.

having said that we have a trace on all msn accounts that saves every chat in a file that the kids can not access, if we were ever concerned or suspicious about something then we can read all history

If any of my kids were involved in bullying then fb or msn would be the least of their worries as they would lose all rights and privleges for anything other then school work or family

ETA - bullying is everywhere not just on the net, you can be bullied via mobile phones, in the play gorund in the class room, for goodness sake even teachers are being bullied, I think that no matter where the bullying originates from you just need to make sure you support your child in every possible manner, would I withdraw one of my childs privleges because he is being bullied hell no, not going to punish him for anothers action BUT I would address the issue and support him with what he wanted to do ie block them, stay off line, continue online etc.. I would also make a rule that the bullying was not to be mentioned on any page or chat

Leigha''s little men smile

My neice (10) and nephew (almost 11) both have facebook. It is set up however that their parents are the only ones that know the password to log them on - so they can only use it supervised (or at least at a time when it is known that is what they are doing). They use it to play the games on there with each other, and to chat. It also means they have access to see family photos etc that are posted.

I can possibly see my kids having that level of access when they are that age - but it's not something I'm going to actively encourage. I also hope to have them in enough out of the house activities that there won't be time to sit on the computer for long each day...

If my child was using the Internet as a means of bullying, then they would be cut off for sure. If they were bullied via the Internet then whoever was attacking them would be blocked. My kids are also taught 'sticks and stones'. Honestly I think there is a lot of childish taunting, name-calling etc that is immediately labelled bullying these days - as opposed to being addressed as naughty childish behaviour, which to me detracts from the real issue of bullying.

once again I completely and utterly agree with the wise LA. mate I should just make my sig " Ditto to LA78 "

once again I completely and utterly agree with the wise LA. mate I should just make my sig " Ditto to LA78 "

LOL! I liked your post so much that I 'liked' it. grin
Sign in to follow this topic