Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Need NURSES help (ideas for an essay)

Need NURSES help (ideas for an essay) Rss

Hey there guys. I have thought and thought and I can't come up with something that is just simple as!

I need to produce an essay on ONE significant Nursing change. I have thought of having to be religious back in the day etc but I need something really significant that stands out there and has definately changed since "back then" It can be any time period but needs to be significant.

I hope that makes sense. Please throw some ideas at me!

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the type of thing that you are looking for - but I'll share. I am an Occupation therapist and our profession originated from nurses. In the old days of psychiatric institutions nurses worked with paitents and found that those that were given meaningful activity during their stay in hospital recovered better. As a result of nurses taking this initiative another profession was born.

The other topic that is interesting is the change from hospital based training to university based training.

Good luck with your essay.
Cheers
Mel

Hi there. Thanks for your help. The OT style isn't really what I mean. I understand what you are saying but I need a significant change such as going from hospital based to unis/tafe. Thanks heaps for that idea by the way, it's a great one! I'm just a little worried that the essay may have to be based on something within the nursing profession though... such as changing from female based to multi sex etc but I really don't know, I am so confused! I will write out what I have been given:

"How does knowing about the history of nursing help us to understand the present and the future? By selecting one (1) significant change in nursing from the past to today, explain why this change has occured and it's impact on comtemporary nursing practice"

So the OT one sounds great... Right up until the end about nursing practice. I feel it doesn't relate iykwim? I need something that's still within nursing??? GRR!

What about infection control. That is something that there has been marked changed in and its pretty well recorded. And its also something that is constantly evolving. you should be able to find out infection rates and stuff like that probaby from the WHO website i would think.

Another area if you are keen that there would be a reasonable amount on is the changes in dialysis techniques. There have been massive changes in the last 40 odd years in dialysis and again its an area that is constantly changing.

Or simply you could look into the changing role of the the nurse, from the time where they were pretty sub servant to doctors, where now they are beng pretty proactive, and you are having roles like that of then nurse practiioner starting to emerge

Good luck, if i think of anything else i will lt you know.
Hi,
I am an RN and am interested in your essay topic. Perhaps it would be possible to look at the change in nursing from a vocation to a profession. Before Florence Nightingale went to the Crimean war nurses were viewed as second class and very often sterotyped as drunken has-beens and hospitals were places to aviod at all cost. After Florence nursing slowly began to be viewed as something that 'good' girls could do but still was very mitlitrastic in hiracy (sp). today nursing is a profession with the ability for advancement and recognition. Hope this makes sense is kinda a ramble but i guess the change from hosptial based to uni based training has a lot to do with it.
HTH
Marcelle

Hi,
I am an RN and am interested in your essay topic. Perhaps it would be possible to look at the change in nursing from a vocation to a profession. Before Florence Nightingale went to the Crimean war nurses were viewed as second class and very often sterotyped as drunken has-beens and hospitals were places to aviod at all cost. After Florence nursing slowly began to be viewed as something that 'good' girls could do but still was very mitlitrastic in hiracy (sp). today nursing is a profession with the ability for advancement and recognition. Hope this makes sense is kinda a ramble but i guess the change from hosptial based to uni based training has a lot to do with it.
HTH
Marcelle

Hi Marcelle, thanks for that. I have chosen Nursing from early days until now, the changes in the educational basically but from the point of the criminals being nurses to now where you HAVE to have studied. I have 11 assignments left for this semester and one is based on writing a philosophy for myself but we have to choose one theorist (if that makes sense) to base it on and I have chosen Nightingale but that's as far as I have got with that one. It also includes a portfolio, resume, coever letter, etc It's huge!!! Another assignment that is stuffing me up is the "nursing diagnosis" I need to provide a nutritional weight ratio nursing diagnosis for an elderly man who is 180cm and 75kg, which is a healthy BMI... What the? Oh it's confusing!

Hey there guys. I have thought and thought and I can't come up with something that is just simple as!

I need to produce an essay on ONE significant Nursing change. I have thought of having to be religious back in the day etc but I need something really significant that stands out there and has definately changed since "back then" It can be any time period but needs to be significant.

I hope that makes sense. Please throw some ideas at me!

hospital based training to university training

Ooh, I remember doing an assignment very similar to that one!! I think I used Nightingale somehow, but the actual statement we were looking at was slightly different. Another change could be something to do with the new role of Nurse Practitioner.

As for your nursing diagnosis, you could go with
Nutritional deficit - at risk of. Being elderly, depending on the illness, in hospital/living alone with little supports etc all add to the risk. He is quite tall for that weight (i haven't worked out the BMI though). But, really any elderly sick person is going to be at that type of risk.

Get used to doing Portfolios - as of this year we have to have one to continue registration. Yuck!! Although once you have one started they're probably not that bad to keep up to date.

Good luck with the rest of your assignments, it's so much work but worth it all in the end. I've just finished my post-grad year, nice to have had a break from study, but will be back into next year when I do my midwifery course.

Ooh, I remember doing an assignment very similar to that one!! I think I used Nightingale somehow, but the actual statement we were looking at was slightly different. Another change could be something to do with the new role of Nurse Practitioner.

As for your nursing diagnosis, you could go with
Nutritional deficit - at risk of. Being elderly, depending on the illness, in hospital/living alone with little supports etc all add to the risk. He is quite tall for that weight (i haven't worked out the BMI though). But, really any elderly sick person is going to be at that type of risk.

Get used to doing Portfolios - as of this year we have to have one to continue registration. Yuck!! Although once you have one started they're probably not that bad to keep up to date.

Good luck with the rest of your assignments, it's so much work but worth it all in the end. I've just finished my post-grad year, nice to have had a break from study, but will be back into next year when I do my midwifery course.

ughh i havent even looked into all that portfolio crap, At least all those coming from uni have a portfolio already sorted!! Will have to get onto it soon though, if i have to LOL. And bugger that midwifery stuff, too many little people. Come work with me in Renal
Amber I'm doing the same essay form now.
So stuck on it any advice you can give on getting started
I am so much behind in my university. I had an operation on my knee and had to miss many classes. Now I urgently need to catch up not to have problems at the end of the academic year. The only problem I have to essays to write. I am ready to pay someone to write my essay. As I myself will not be able to do it fast. I just need some suggestions which writing agency can write it quickly and without plagiarism.
Sign in to follow this topic