Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

sipping from straw Rss

How did you teach your kids to suck from a straw and when did they start?

DS is 13months and drinks from a sip cup but doesnt know how to suck from a straw. is there anything i can do to help him learn? what did u do?

How did you teach your kids to suck from a straw and when did they start?

DS is 13months and drinks from a sip cup but doesnt know how to suck from a straw. is there anything i can do to help him learn? what did u do?

i don't really have any advice. Both mine started on straw cups at about 6mths old.

I didn't realise it wasn't something that came easily to most kids until talking with friends.

i''''m baking a baby

DS was about 10 months old when he started drinking through a straw. TO ME, it was like it was a natural instinct to him..... I didnt particularly show him how to do it at all. He managed to pick it up on his own, and surprised us all in doing so.
With DD1 she was probably around 10 months and I showed her by having a cup with a straw of my own and sucking the straw. She got it fairly quickly.

DD2 was about 7 months and got it right away, I found straws much easier than sippy cups for them.
thanks all. ive tried showing him how to suck with a cup of my own but he doesnt seem to understand, i'll have to keep trying as i also prefer him to be drinking from a straw rather than the sippy cups

Hi!

I tried to get my son to suck on a straw at about 11 months by showing him but he just didn't get it and didn't seem too interested either! I tried about two months later again by showing him first and he did it first try. I guess he just didn't want to the first time! lol.

I think just leave it a week and try again smile

thanks Ange will try in a week and keep trying maybe once or twice a week until he gets it

DS was about 10 months old when he started drinking through a straw. TO ME, it was like it was a natural instinct to him..... I didnt particularly show him how to do it at all. He managed to pick it up on his own, and surprised us all in doing so.

same, ds just knew what to do. what i had to teach him was to stop squeezing the fruit box so it didnt spill everywhere. he is still learning that at 2!
he kind of drinks from a carton after squeezing it, not the same though as sucking from a straw

My sons 14mths old and is the same. He has no clue how to use a straw.
He thinks it's a toy, whenever i try to get him to drink with a straw he pulls it out and starts play with it.
I've pretty much given up trying to teach him, maybe when he's under older and can understand directions easier.

DS was about 11 months i think. he could do the sucking action, but i just had to teach him that he didn't need to tip it back. only problem was that then i decided i would rather him use a regular spout because when you drink from a normal cup you have to tip it back, so i then had to reteach him to tip his spout cup back!!

Sign in to follow this topic