Huggies Forum

making new friends Lock Rss

My daughter has started Year 1 this year and I'm finding hard to make new friends, they all have formed there own groups. I am a shy person, and am feeling really low about myself. Does anyone have the same problem, how do you overcome the shyness?

My daughter has started Year 1 this year and I'm finding hard to make new friends, they all have formed there own groups. I am a shy person, and am feeling really low about myself. Does anyone have the same problem, how do you overcome the shyness?

maybe you could go to school a little bit earlier - my dd is only 1 , but i have a much young sister who i had to get from school. I would get there early (just to be safe), and just by "hanging around" it is easy to start a conversation. you could make general chat first, like asking other mums how their child is liking school? or if you're standing there, just say hi, (and unless the other parent is a complete snob) they will say hi back- then say "im x's mum...". Guaranteed the other mum will start chatting. The weather- use it - say " oh its wet/hot/cold today" . Us mums (and big sisters!) love a chat!
Or, you could let your daughter have a few friends over on the weekend for a sort of playdate. Parents will then remember you at school and come over for a chat. Have you considered volunteering for the tuck shop?
Sorry, I'm yabbering on roll eyes

good luck- before you know it you'll be yabbering away with the best of them.
I cant add anything because the PP has suggested everything I was going to. Just wanted to say hang in there. It can be really hard to make new friends but it will happen. Sometimes it just takes time smile

Sign in to follow this topic