Huggies Forum

How many feeds? Rss

My almost 13mth old is still breastfed. He usually has about 4-5 feeds in a 24hr period. I have been thinking lately about weaning him in the next 6mths, but he's still feeding so much! Has anyone got any advice for me? How many feeds does/did your baby have at around 12mths?
TIA

At about the same age DD was having the same number of feeds as your son. She self weaned at 19 months.

I found with DD the easiest way to help her start dropping feeds was to make sure that she ate her solids first and then offer a bf a little while afterwards. Before she could ask for the feed I started to check if she wanted other things first - she knew the word 'no' so I'd go through the list of "do you want ..., ...." etc and gradually work down to mummy milk - if she didn't want what I offered she'd say no if she wanted it she'd nod her head. As she started to talk more she started asking for 'mummy milk' so I'd only feed when she asked - I think there were times where I was offering a feed without her really wanting the feed so by feeding when she asked it helped a lot in the weaning process.

With DD her feeds tended to match a certain timeframe so we gradually got it down to she'd only want a feed in the morning and then it was just a case of delaying that feed a little at a time (she'd ask and I'd say "soon, mummy just needs to do x") eventually it got to the point where several days had gone by and she hadn't asked for a feed at all and I considered that to be when she self-weaned. Yes, I'd guided her a bit in getting started on the weaning process but if she wanted/needed the feed I was alway happy to provide it, she just got to the point where she didn't want it any longer.

Hope that makes sense.

Leisa.

At about the same age DD was having the same number of feeds as your son. She self weaned at 19 months.

I found with DD the easiest way to help her start dropping feeds was to make sure that she ate her solids first and then offer a bf a little while afterwards. Before she could ask for the feed I started to check if she wanted other things first - she knew the word 'no' so I'd go through the list of "do you want ..., ...." etc and gradually work down to mummy milk - if she didn't want what I offered she'd say no if she wanted it she'd nod her head. As she started to talk more she started asking for 'mummy milk' so I'd only feed when she asked - I think there were times where I was offering a feed without her really wanting the feed so by feeding when she asked it helped a lot in the weaning process.

With DD her feeds tended to match a certain timeframe so we gradually got it down to she'd only want a feed in the morning and then it was just a case of delaying that feed a little at a time (she'd ask and I'd say "soon, mummy just needs to do x") eventually it got to the point where several days had gone by and she hadn't asked for a feed at all and I considered that to be when she self-weaned. Yes, I'd guided her a bit in getting started on the weaning process but if she wanted/needed the feed I was alway happy to provide it, she just got to the point where she didn't want it any longer.

Hope that makes sense.

Leisa.

Ditto, but just wanted to add with dd1 she wouldn't have a bar of me saying no at 17 months, but pretty much self weaned at 18 months. Another way of saying it is don't refuse but don't offer. Also if you find you can distract while you are out, stop feeding then. Of course it might not be the way if your out all day but ykwim??
Thanks ladies. I will definately try the whole 'don't offer, but don't refuse' thing. It's comforting to know that there's others out there whose bub fed that much at this age too. THanks grin

Sign in to follow this topic