Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. What will your family be eating today?

What will your family be eating today? Lock Rss

Does everyone have to agree with everyone else?? I personally don't see people who observe Good Friday traditionals as hypocrits....if you do not follow a religious faith, then Easter is usually observed as a family tradition...traditions are as diverse as the many cultures of Australia. There are many posts saying " it's what i was bought up with".... me too...

Our whole family ate sardines on toast for brekky, and is heading into fish cakes for lunch, and grilled barramundi, salad & chips for dinner. I have never eaten red meat on Good Friday, and my practising Anglican husband hasn't either, we have taught our kids the basics of our belief in Easter- Jesus was crucified on Good Friday, & is ressurected on Easter Sunday... that is our belief.

My Mother is a non-practising Anglican, my Father, who is passed, was a non-practising Catholic and I was bought up to not eat red meat on Friday, my father used to celebrate Lent every year when he was a kids... which I found really interesting.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that my older brother will be tucking into a steak for dinner, nor anyone else for that matter. I just hope everyone has a HAPPY EASTER!!! however you celebrate Easter, you're kids will remember it...

Oh..and one last thing...we eat "meat", fish IS meat, we do not eat red meat.... I wasn't sure if everyone was in agreeance that anyone quoting "meat" is actually referring to "red meat"...
Hubby is, as we speak waiting in line at the fish and chip shop to get our lunch. We were both bought up not eating meat on Good Friday, and we will continue this. I have, however, a beef casserole in the slowy that is cooking so I can freeze it and take it away over our holiday, and I feel guilty over that!

Each to their own...but I do take issue with anyone who is going to criticise the choice of others.

HAPPY EASTER smile
i am allergic to seafood so will be having chicken df and ds will be having fish though
we are having fish, prawns, sand crabs with salad for dinner, for breakfast we had eggs and hash browns. This is the only time of year when we have a spurge on seafood.

I was brought up only having fish on good friday, when I moved out of home I stopeed the tradition for a few years but then as my children got older I felt that even though Im not religious I do have a responsibility to open my childrens minds, teach them some of the basics and allow them to make thier own choices. Although I admit I dont know the reason why red meat is a no no on good friday, We were taught as kids that all meat other than seafood was a no no.
So we do respect the beliefs of mine and Dh's family beliefs and have fish on good friday. Tonight Im doing either tuna mornay or salmon patties.

Cheers Ness

Firstly I would like to say that I haven't read all replies yet but will be going back to do so but I have read enough to be able to answer this thread.

I was brought up Christian and I still have my own beliefs although I do not go to Church, not even at Easter and Christmas but I have my own reasons for this and in my opinion it has no baring on what I believe. My beliefs are my own.

As a PP has pointed out, if you really want to go the whole hog then you shouldn't be having meat on any Friday, and you should fast completely on Good Friday. As for someone saying that if you can't abstain from eating red meat on Good Friday then you shouldn't have easter Eggs I would say the exact opposite really. Not eating red meat is very much a religious practice stemming from the Roman Catholic religion. The practice of giving easter eggs comes from the Pagan ritual that someone decided, way back when, should be aligned with the christian easter so really, if you want to go along religious lines you shouldn't be giving or receiving easter eggs at all. It never ceases to amaze me how the early Christians have managed to adopt facets that they like from certain traditions yet completely ignore what they don't like and different branches of Christianity like and adopt different aspects.

As for people saying that they aren't religious yet do not eat meat on Good Friday, well I was brought up to be loud and obnoxious yet I have broken free of THAT particular tradition LOL.

At the end of the day I say do what feels right to you and what you do or don't do is noones business but your own.

As a general rule, we don't eat meat on ANY Friday, unless of course I forget what day of the week it is! LOL It is just something my family has always done, and not something that I really think twice about TBH!

I don't care what anyone else chooses to do, I do what I want, everyone else should do the same!
We will be eating fish and seafood today. We are not religious but DH and I were both raised on the tradition of not eating red meat on good Friday (my grand parents wouldn't eat red meat on every Friday during lent).

We normally eat fish or seafood once or twice a week anyway just for a healthy diet so it is no real difference for us.

I was brought up only having fish on good friday, when I moved out of home I stopeed the tradition for a few years but then as my children got older I felt that even though Im not religious I do have a responsibility to open my childrens minds, teach them some of the basics and allow them to make thier own choices. Although I admit I dont know the reason why red meat is a no no on good friday, We were taught as kids that all meat other than seafood was a no no.
So we do respect the beliefs of mine and Dh's family beliefs and have fish on good friday. Tonight Im doing either tuna mornay or salmon patties.

Cheers Ness

Hi Ness, just to let you know that the reason why Christians do not eat meat on Good Friday is because Christ told the Jews in the synagogue, “The bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.” Christians have abstained from eating meat on Fridays in commemoration of His sacrifice

Hi Ness, just to let you know that the reason why Christians do not eat meat on Good Friday is because Christ told the Jews in the synagogue, “The bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.” Christians have abstained from eating meat on Fridays in commemoration of His sacrifice

Ok thanks Pug but I dont understand it...wouldnt that mean they shouldnt eat the bread lol And if they shouldnt be eating meat(flesh) shouldnt that cover all living creatures not just land based animals or animals based on the colour of thier prepared flesh?

Cheers Ness

I dont think everyone should agree with me that meat should not be eaten on good friday or any other Friday during Lent ..this is my decision and I dont think others should have to follow suit or agree !!

But I would really appreciate people not taking the piss out of my beliefs...Saying things like "I'm Having Hamburgers " is to me taking the micky out of it ..why make a comment like that ..

It is a decision you either make or you dont ....if you dont then that is fine ...go have your hanburger ...but dont rub it in the faces of those with Christian faith !!

Ok thanks Pug but I dont understand it...wouldnt that mean they shouldnt eat the bread lol And if they shouldnt be eating meat(flesh) shouldnt that cover all living creatures not just land based animals or animals based on the colour of thier prepared flesh?

Cheers Ness

Hehe yeah, as with all things to do with religion it can get a bit convoluted Ness. Basically it was Christ saying that he gives the flesh and blood of his body over as a sacrifice for the sins of all mankind. In otherwords he gave up his mortal life and died on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice for all our sins. This is also why bread and wine is used in Holy Communion, the bread signifies the flesh of Christ and the wine signifies the blood and communion itself is taken to remember the sacrifice that he made when he died for the sins of man. I don't want to go into too much of a detailed theological lesson but I hope that makes sense LOL

ETA I think basically it's come to mean don't eat RED meat because it still has blood through it. Some people only eat fish, others will eat chicken because there is no blood. Originally it was probably supposed to mean don't eat flesh of anykind but as I said in my first reply, different aspects of ancient teachings/laws etc have been adopted and others have fallen by the way side probably out of convenience. It's hard to get everybody not to eat any meat at all so if you give them an option they are more likely to stick to it kind of deal, not sure how poor old fish drew the short straw though tongue

Sign in to follow this topic