Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

childproofing doors Rss

Hi,
I caught my DD opening our back door after having dragged her chair over, climbed up and figured out how to unlock it.
I cant have her going out when she pleases as we have 2 dogs out the back, a swimming pool and live on acreage with a reputation for snakes.

I need some form of lock that i can put reeeally high out of her reach, but it cant be permanent as we are renting.
Whats good?
Thanks

Hi,
I caught my DD opening our back door after having dragged her chair over, climbed up and figured out how to unlock it.
I cant have her going out when she pleases as we have 2 dogs out the back, a swimming pool and live on acreage with a reputation for snakes.

I need some form of lock that i can put reeeally high out of her reach, but it cant be permanent as we are renting.
Whats good?
Thanks

i certainly hope your pool is fenced!

as for the lock i would be getting a chain lock. all it will leave (if it is removed when u leave) is a few small screw holes. plus the owners should let u install one cos it
A) adds security to the house and
cool is needed for your childrens safety.

thanks for that.

and yes of course our pool is fenced!
What type of a handle is on the door/is it a sliding door or a "proper" door?

For DD I bought some doorknob covers from bunnings (they came in packs of 3) that go over 'normal' door handles (like on front doors, internal doors). The covers are slightly larger than the handle so when a child rotates them they just spin around. There are specific grip points that you squeeze in to get contact with the door knob and then you can open the door. Works for us but it depends a lot on what type of door knob/handle you have.

From memory there were a few different options for door knob covers at bunnings, might be worth a trip to see whether there's an option that works for your house.

Another option would be, if its a sliding door, talk to the owner about possibly installing a dead bolt on the sliding door. We've got one on our sliding door - there's two little bolt holes into the top frame of the door that we can slide the bolt into (one for fully closed, one for open about 5cm). We use that to stop DD from opening the door and it counts as an extra security precaution for things like insurance. Since you're renting though it would depend on your landlord agreeing to it but it does increase the security of their property.

Leisa.
thank you. yes its a sliding door. the glass door it doesnt matter so much if she can open as long as the sliding fly screen can be secure shut. i might ask the owners about what they'd be prepared for me to put in.
i like the idea of a sliding bolt one.
Normally if you lock the screen door with the key it can't be opened just by flicking the knob/lock if that makes sense???

So if you lock it by key and then put the key up high out of reach that should do the trick.

Installing security doors worked for us. It has a three-point locking system and child-safe, which allowed us to leave our primary door open without having to worry about DD leaving the house. Hope this helps.
Sign in to follow this topic