Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Should I take him back to the doctors?

Should I take him back to the doctors? Rss

DS1 got his 4 year vaccinations on wednesday. Last night I noticed that on one of his arms he's got a big red area around where the needle went in. It's really hot to touch. I dont think it's swollen but it is quite big. What do you think it is?

Its normal to get a red lump at the injection site - didn't they tell you that?

its only if the arm swells or it gets HEAPS bigger etc, and even then use your intuition - give him some panadol if he is out of sorts and see how he goes first unless you are very worried...

they often get a rash similar to the ones the injection is for about a week later but its not contagious so keep your eye out for that.

[img]

How big? If it were me, I'd keep an eye on him. If it still looks the same, or gets bigger, or starts to bother him in a few days then take him back to the Dr because he could actually have something else going on there. You can try warm (or cold) compresses to try and reduce the swelling? Did he get DTaP? I think that can cause that sort of reaction.

they often get a rash similar to the ones the injection is for about a week later but its not contagious so keep your eye out for that.

Live vaccines, including MMR, can shed for up to 3 weeks so they are actually capable of passing one of those diseases on to someone else.

Sign in to follow this topic