Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Do your parents tell you they love you?

Do your parents tell you they love you? Rss

I was just reading another thread and it got me thinking....my mum and dad were never very affectionate with my brother and I, and it's only now that I've moved interstate that they tell me they love me on the phone when we say goodbye. I tell my kids all the time that I love them, at bed and when we kiss godbye for school, and just randomly, and they do the same with us.

Now I don't doubt that my parents love me and have always loved me but I wonder if it would have made any difference during my 'wild rebellious' teen years if they had told me that they loved me, and given me a hug occassionally, not just on my birthday???

So do/did your parents tell you they love you??
ummm ......considering I am seeing a councellor this arvo cause of my mother I think you know the answer to this one !! lol lol lol

my dad was a very loveing person ..very soft and gentle ..incredably softly spoken and kind ..and he was not a big one for the "I love you " ..not to sure why !!

I tell my kids that I love them to much to compensate I think ..I think I am taken the shine off the meaning by constantly telling them ..for me something I want my kids to know more then I love them is that I am absolutly proud of them ..I tell them that I am proud of them all the time ..Luke says to me now sometimes "mum you would have been so proud of me I did ..................." ...that is something very important to me ~!!

as for wayward teenage years ....Maybe?? not to sure ....

I was just reading another thread and it got me thinking....my mum and dad were never very affectionate with my brother and I, and it's only now that I've moved interstate that they tell me they love me on the phone when we say goodbye. I tell my kids all the time that I love them, at bed and when we kiss godbye for school, and just randomly, and they do the same with us.

Now I don't doubt that my parents love me and have always loved me but I wonder if it would have made any difference during my 'wild rebellious' teen years if they had told me that they loved me, and given me a hug occassionally, not just on my birthday???

So do/did your parents tell you they love you??

I cant remember as a small child, but for as long as I can remember no they didn't.

We are a large family and we are not close, and none of us are really affectionate towards each other.

I have never been to one of my sisters house or my brothers. They live in the same town. They were too stupid to get lisences and expect everyone to run around after them. I refuse. I have 2 and a half babies and they have none, so they can catch a bus if they want to visit. Once they visit I may visit them. My brother has never seen Teika and she is one next month.

But all the crap aside, even though we are not affectionate, I know in my heart that they all love me and I love them the same as families that are affectionate. It's just not in our nature, cause we weren't brought up that way. We are always there in times of need and that's all that matters.
I have no doubt in my mind about the way my parents feel about me.

In saying that though, i am over affectionate to my babies. I am always just grabbing them for a cuddle and kiss 100 times a day. I am sure they are well aware of the love I have for them.
No they never have in my memory. Maybe when I was little, and there is photos of them hugging me, but I after a certain age, no. I still remember on school about, aged about 11. We were all lined up to call our parents, everyone ended with love you mum. When it was my turn, I too said love you mum at the end of the call. She just said bye. I've never forgotten that moment. The day before my dad died, I saw him for the last time. I had this overwhelming urge to hug him and say 'love you dad' but I didn't as we don't do that in our family. He died unexpectently the next morning, so it's the one thing I regret. So as a result, I never stop telling DH I love him - it's a daily occurance, and the kids, well they get smoothered in hugs and I love you's. And that won't stop, even when they are 50! My mum still doesn't say it. It makes me sad, but I can't change her.

No they never have in my memory. Maybe when I was little, and there is photos of them hugging me, but I after a certain age, no. I still remember on school about, aged about 11. We were all lined up to call our parents, everyone ended with love you mum. When it was my turn, I too said love you mum at the end of the call. She just said bye. I've never forgotten that moment. The day before my dad died, I saw him for the last time. I had this overwhelming urge to hug him and say 'love you dad' but I didn't as we don't do that in our family. He died unexpectently the next morning, so it's the one thing I regret. So as a result, I never stop telling DH I love him - it's a daily occurance, and the kids, well they get smoothered in hugs and I love you's. And that won't stop, even when they are 50! My mum still doesn't say it. It makes me sad, but I can't change her.

I wonder if we over compansate our love for our babies, cause it was lacking when we were children, or whether it just because that's the way our generation does it?
i too don't come from a very affecionate family...i know we all love one another but have been told by my mum
once that she loves me (at my sisters funeral). My sister tried to reach out to my mum before she died and my mum never responded. My sister died never hearing my mum say i love you and i vowed that the same would never happen to my children.

So i too probably over compensate by saying it all the time. When i get upset at my daughter and she looks at me with her sad eyes i feel compelled to let her know i will always love her i am just disappointed at the moment.

Anyway long story short - i am one that says i will try to do everything opposite to my own parents....although in saying that all to often i do or say something and say "oh *** there goes my mum coming out again"
My mother is a very cold woman and never showed us kids any affection. She never just gave us a hug or kiss or said I Love You.
My father was in prison for the time I was about 5 until I was 22 so I never had a relationship with him. When he got released he excepted that I would just call him dad even though I didn't really know him and because I didn't he walked out of life quicker than he walked into it. So I never go the I love you's form him either.

Rob and his mum are very close and always kiss hello and goodbye and always say I love you when leaving or hanging up the phone.

With our kids we are always telling them that we love them, how special they are to us, how proud we are of them. I just want them to feel the love I never did.
Hmm to be honest, no they don't say it very often, and you know what, when they do say it, i know they mean it.

I am pretty lucky to have a wonderful relationship with my parents, the love and respect i have for the overwhelms me sometimes, and the same with my brothers, i am very close to both of them as well, the old saying "to know them is to love them" applies to both my Mum and my Dad.

The times my folks have said they love me has been when something major has happened, like when i got suspended in high school... LOL "You know we love you but etc etc" or when Ryder came along, "We love you and we are so proud of you etc etc" So when they say it, i know they mean it, which makes it pretty special and mean so much more.

Like Frankie, i say it all the time to Ryder, i can tell him up to 20 times a day!! LOL But as he gets older, i guess it will stop, there will come a time when he won't want to hear it, but when he is all grown up i hope he tells me all the time that he loves me!!! wub wub

I can remember my mum always telling us she loved us and was very affectionate towards us. I can't remember my father saying it, but I knew he loved us even though he treated us like dirt!

My husbands family is the complete opposite, not much affection shown towards him at all. For the first couple of years we were together he found it very hard to deal with the fact that I could be close to so many people, he had a terrible jealous streak, and still does get jealous but to a much lower degree... thank goodness!

I always tell my kids that I love them. I never just say it for the sake of it. It is always said with love in my voice and if possible followed up with a nice hug. It is soooo cute, at 18 months Jack tells us he loves us and gives us a really nice strong hug..... I think he actually knows what he means.

Neither me nor my 2 sisters were rebellious. Without sounding like I love myself.... i think we were model children except for the fact that we never kept our rooms tidy all the time and that we always struggled at wiping up the dishes.... lol

I am interested to hear if there is a connection to rebelling and not feeling/hearing the love from their parents.....

Is OVER rude people

i too don't come from a very affecionate family...i know we all love one another but have been told by my mum
once that she loves me (at my sisters funeral). My sister tried to reach out to my mum before she died and my mum never responded. My sister died never hearing my mum say i love you and i vowed that the same would never happen to my children.

So i too probably over compensate by saying it all the time. When i get upset at my daughter and she looks at me with her sad eyes i feel compelled to let her know i will always love her i am just disappointed at the moment.

Anyway long story short - i am one that says i will try to do everything opposite to my own parents....although in saying that all to often i do or say something and say "oh *** there goes my mum coming out again"

I am fighting back the tears.....

I find it hard to deal with the fact that so many wonderful people never get to hear those special words.... it breaks my heart.

Is OVER rude people

Mum and dad did and still do, always.
Mum and I finish a chat on the phone and say I love you before we hang up.
Same with dad (although those calls aren't very often)
All of my brothers and sisters say I love you to each other. We're a close family. Always have been.
I love you always comes before or after goodbye.

I often think about this, especially after becoming a mum, I tell Lachie and Riley I love them like a million times a day, but I can never remember my parents saying it to me until they got seperated about 3 years ago. Now they say it on the phone when they say goodbye, but if feels weird to say it back to them. I dont feel weird saying it to my gran though as she always has said it to me?? I never doubted they loved me but it just wasnt said in my house. I vow to never have that happen in my house with my kids!
Sign in to follow this topic