Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Far out my heart is still thumping

Far out my heart is still thumping Rss

I went out to hang my washing under the carport, and I just pulled the laundry door to rather than shutting it so I could hear DD. Well I mustn't have locked the gate across the laundry as DD heard me go out and came in the laundry and shut the door behind me and then pushed the lock so I was locked out. No spare keys outside and no phone, all the windows are above my head. I tried calling her to open the door but it was too slippery for her to turn, then I went to the sliding glass door and tried asking her to get my keys out of my handbag (she could have posted them under our very drafty front door to me). She didn't understand and by now I'm having a heart attack and working out if I can pull the bbq over and balance a chair on it to try the windows around the front when I hear click - she pulled her baby's pram over to the door, stepped up into it and turned the lock for me! Isn't she clever. Now to make sure that never happens again and get my hands to stop shaking so I can drive up and watch the boys run their cross country lol. And work out how to stop her escaping now that she knows how to unlock the door too hmmm.
That sucks!! I know the feeling.. Jayden locked me out just after I had Ella as I was saying goodbye to hubby one morning... I had to wake the neighbour up... whom I didnt know AND i was wearing my pyjamas.. call hubby and ask him to drive back...Altho I do look back and laugh now.

OMG your in need of a hot chocolate filled with marshmallows and fresh cream. Hope your ok, DD sounds like she's a very clever little girl, and yes it is a worry!

Maybe think about having a spare key hidden in a bush or somewhere hidden on a piece of string, we have that for emergencies and its a great piece of mind. tongue
Not sure what type of door handles you have, but we use the safety door handle covers, so the kids can never just open the door and cruise outside without me knowing.

They are just a plastic device that opens and wraps around the handle and seals shut. It then has a little latch that you can open and close over the lock part. Might give you some piece of mind.

We also use them on our bedroom door (hubby is night shift worker) so the kids cant get in, and we also use one on the bathroom door, as quite often I will bath one and then the other, so while I am in the bedroom dressing one, I dont have to panic about the other one getting into trouble in the bathroom.

Very cheap and a great safety investment.

Not sure what type of door handles you have, but we use the safety door handle covers, so the kids can never just open the door and cruise outside without me knowing.

They are just a plastic device that opens and wraps around the handle and seals shut. It then has a little latch that you can open and close over the lock part. Might give you some piece of mind.

We also use them on our bedroom door (hubby is night shift worker) so the kids cant get in, and we also use one on the bathroom door, as quite often I will bath one and then the other, so while I am in the bedroom dressing one, I dont have to panic about the other one getting into trouble in the bathroom.

Very cheap and a great safety investment.

Oh good idea, thanks, we had them when the boys were little but I never thought of it for here. Usually I have the baby gate shut across the laundry so she can't get in there anyway, but you're right I need to think of what if and today has shown me that perfectly! The worst part is that we've just bought another house and it has a whole weird entry set up where the laundry is attached to the house but it's the entry so the main door to the house is actually inside the laundry and I have no idea how I'm going to go about stopping her....it's fully fenced though so she can't go any further if she oes get out, whereas here she can take off any way she likes. Sorry for the ramble, I'm still a bit shalen up.
Your post made me think of something I did, which will make you feel better lol

When the kids were younger and all safe and sound in bed. I went outside to lock the car. I locked the car door and slammed it shut, but I forgot to take something out of the way, my fingers. My fingers were slammed in the car door and the door was locked. I stood there for a long time, yelling out to the kids, hoping they would wake up NAH didnt happen. They would wake up easy any other time lol.

I ended up screaming for help, I was prob there for about half hour when someone down the road heard me yelling. He grabbed the keys off the hook just inside my door and I was free.

How do you feel now, not so silly lol.
After being locked out of my house with 2 tiny babies inside.. I now have a spare key outside in a hiding spot.. I will never be locked out again, worst feeling I have had ina while..

8 babies..5boys 3 girls

I feel for you! Your little girl is so clever to work out how to open the door - good problem solving skills.

I did something really silly about a month ago.

Drove to shops with DS (3) in the car. Parked the car, got out and shut the door. Guess what, thought i'd locked my keys in the car with DS in it!

Started to panic - it was a warm morning.

Tried to encourage DS to press the red button on his seatbelt so he could get out and open the door. He didn't have the strength or quite the understanding of what his crazy mum was asking him to do.

Hailed down two young guys in their car - they pulled over and let me use the phone to call NRMA. Couldn't remember NRMA's number - starting to get slightly hysterical. Had nothing on me to smash window.

Someone drove buy to let me know they saw the police up the shops catching a thief and went off to get them for me.

THEN..... Looked at what I was holding in my left hand.... MY KEYS!!!

Bad day!
My Gran never lets me forget when I was 2 and my mum was in hospital having my brother, she was babysitting me, and she went out to get the paper in her nightie and I locked the door behind her. She says when she asked me to open the door I just giggled and ran off. She had to go to the neighbours to use the phone to call my dad and get him to come back and let her in!! Apparently I was quite contented sitting in front of the Tv watching cartoons!!
When we were living with FIL he locked me outside. He was forever locking doors which in itself drove me mad!
Anyway here I was outside hanging clothes on the line with only a sarong on (sans panties) he locked me out and luckily I went to walk back in BEFORE he caught the bus. Bus stop was directly out the front of the house. I could see DD2 sitting in her highchair talking away and luckily DD1 was still in bed otherwise she would have been screaming her head off (she was only about 18 months then)
So here I am half hanging over the fence yelling at him in very broken chinese, malay and english (he apparently doesn't speak english and is bloody deaf) that he's locked me outside and he has to come and open the house up.
If he had of gotten on the bus I would have killed him. I was ropable and rung DH as soon as I got inside. DH sat him down and told him to stop locking doors, If I'm home I leave doors open and it's fine (only ever the back door as our backyard was VERY secure)

At my parents house we've sent DD1 through the pet door to open the house because we've left our house key at home and Mum and Dad have gone out. She thinks it's awesome.

When we were living with FIL he locked me outside. He was forever locking doors which in itself drove me mad!
Anyway here I was outside hanging clothes on the line with only a sarong on (sans panties) he locked me out and luckily I went to walk back in BEFORE he caught the bus. Bus stop was directly out the front of the house. I could see DD2 sitting in her highchair talking away and luckily DD1 was still in bed otherwise she would have been screaming her head off (she was only about 18 months then)
So here I am half hanging over the fence yelling at him in very broken chinese, malay and english (he apparently doesn't speak english and is bloody deaf) that he's locked me outside and he has to come and open the house up.
If he had of gotten on the bus I would have killed him. I was ropable and rung DH as soon as I got inside. DH sat him down and told him to stop locking doors, If I'm home I leave doors open and it's fine (only ever the back door as our backyard was VERY secure)

At my parents house we've sent DD1 through the pet door to open the house because we've left our house key at home and Mum and Dad have gone out. She thinks it's awesome.

Thanks everyone, you're all so nice smile I had lunch with a few mums from school today and all of them had a story of a similar kind, and then I've read all these here and I feel a bit better now.

Ironbutterfly, here it's ME doing all the locking of doors, it drives DH bonkers as he is always locked out when he goes out even for a second but with 3 kids to keep an eye on an no fence I just automatically lock as I go so I know they are all safe inside lol lol. I'm glad you weren't locked out in just your sarong too smile
this is my worst nightmare im so parinoid about it i take keys and my phone everywhere with me. going out to the bin or to the washing line freaks me out, but would also freak me out to leave keys outside so i just grab them everytime i walk out the door.
our car wont lock without the keys so im very glad for that or im sure i would have locked the kids in about a million times!

Sign in to follow this topic