Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Swimming Lessons Lock Rss

Hi.

I am wanting other mums/dads/carers out there to let me know your thoughts.

I have 2 daughters a 3 1/2 year old and a 20mth old.

My oldest child HATES swimming... she is petrified of the water and cries pretty much every lesson (and has done for 12 months). Once she is in that crying stage she will not settle down.. Normally at home it would be time out, but i cant do time out of the pool becuase that would get her what she wants.

the 20 mth old loves water, but over the past 2 lessons has begun to get upset at almost everything they do in the class.

Today was the final straw for me, the youngest was crying so much becuase the woman had forced her under the water, for the rest of the lesson she cried constantly and normally she would love swimming. She was cold i just pulled her out of the water and got her dressed only to be challanged by the teacher asking what i was doing, basically saying I was a bad parent for pulling her out.

I explained to her that whilst my child is crying the way she was, there was no way she could be learning. that perhaps instead of the same thing every week, perhaps a little fun could be incorporated into the class each week to make it a fun time for the kids. Becuase at present the way the class if run, if the child cries becuase he/she does not want to jump in or go under the water, those fears are ignored and they basically pull them in or force them under the water. no cuddles to reassure them that its ok and that you shouldnt fear water and gradually build up to the under water.

i fear that if i pull them out all together and hubby and i just take them to the pool to have a fun time and learn water safety that they will have missed out on the "lessons"

or if I keep them in, they will fear water more in the future....

has anyone else had this experience, what are your thoughts?
IMO the behaviour of the teacher is abominable. Swimming lessons for tiny tots are supposed to be fun - they're babies. The fact that she challenged you when you removed your daughter is a red flag to me also. Your child = your decision.

I had my older DS enrollled in swimming from 6 months. Initially it was fine and he had a great time, but as he got closer to 12 months the lessons became similar to what you are describing in that the teacher was forcing him under water even though he obviously hated it. I specifically told her not to put him under the water - the first time she did after our conversation, I reminded her that he wasn't to be forced. The second time, I removed him from the swim school. By that stage though he was so afraid of the water that it was a struggle even to get him into the bath.

Personally I would change schools at least. As I said earlier, swimming should be fun. It's water familiarisation, not Olympic swimming. You still need to supervise very young children near water anyway, so I don't believe swimming lessons are worth that amount of angst.

Hi.

I am wanting other mums/dads/carers out there to let me know your thoughts.

I have 2 daughters a 3 1/2 year old and a 20mth old.

My oldest child HATES swimming... she is petrified of the water and cries pretty much every lesson (and has done for 12 months). Once she is in that crying stage she will not settle down.. Normally at home it would be time out, but i cant do time out of the pool becuase that would get her what she wants.

the 20 mth old loves water, but over the past 2 lessons has begun to get upset at almost everything they do in the class.

Today was the final straw for me, the youngest was crying so much becuase the woman had forced her under the water, for the rest of the lesson she cried constantly and normally she would love swimming. She was cold i just pulled her out of the water and got her dressed only to be challanged by the teacher asking what i was doing, basically saying I was a bad parent for pulling her out.

I explained to her that whilst my child is crying the way she was, there was no way she could be learning. that perhaps instead of the same thing every week, perhaps a little fun could be incorporated into the class each week to make it a fun time for the kids. Becuase at present the way the class if run, if the child cries becuase he/she does not want to jump in or go under the water, those fears are ignored and they basically pull them in or force them under the water. no cuddles to reassure them that its ok and that you shouldnt fear water and gradually build up to the under water.

i fear that if i pull them out all together and hubby and i just take them to the pool to have a fun time and learn water safety that they will have missed out on the "lessons"

or if I keep them in, they will fear water more in the future....

has anyone else had this experience, what are your thoughts?

At my swim centre they have told us that if your child is crying / whinging etc dont force them to do anything and certainly dont dunk them etc as they will develop a fear of the water etc.

Try making it fun and if they want to dunk your child - why dont you get dunked yourself and show your child that it is fun etc and they may change their minds on swimming if they see you doing it?

Ive taken my son swimming since he was 4.5 mnths old. He is now 9.5 mnths. He hasnt cried to date but other kids on the class (they started swimming later after 1.5yrs of age) are getting scared about being dunked. The instructor get the parents to 'dunk'them to their ears only. If they are crying though they dont.

They also said to keep swimming and try do things in the bath at wash time ( tipping water over their heads etc).. and continue swimming in winter as well
i'm in 2 minds about this.

My ds was in the mums and bubs class and we got a new teacher. ds went from loving swimming to crying and hating it. I was ready to pull him out. Yet i did see an improvement in his actual ability. We stuck it out and he is now swimming unaided and has the same teacher and LOVES her.

There are so many complaints made about ds teacher yet she is the only teacher that has a waiting list.

I guess i am saying follow your insticts.

i''''m baking a baby

Both my boys have hated swimming lessons. I did mums & bubs with DS1 from about 8 mths to 2 & he cried the entire time. I then did some intensive swimming lessons in the summer hols for 2 weeks at 3, 4 & 5. This year at 5 is the first he hasn't cried.

DS2 (3) has done 2 terms of swimming lessons this year & also cried constantly. I couldn't go through it again so have decided to just do intensives in summer again.

We swim in our neighbours pool a lot in summer & both boths are much more confident there.

I believe learning to swim is important & feel bad that my kids can't swim as well as others their age but I also feel that swimming isn't for everyone & as long as they know enough to save themselves (or someone else if needed) then that's enough for me.

We used to live in Perth until the beginning of this year when we moved to Northern WA. In Perth we enrolled my DS in swimming lessons when he was about 2 (We lived in Canberra prior to this). He HATED it and would scream and carry on like the way you described of your daughters. We did 3 of the lessons and then gave up. We would take him on the weekends and just splash around in pool with us which he loved. We enrolled him again in the next terms lesson but again he hated it so we pulled him out and just went ourselves on the weekends. We didn't bother to enroll DD when she was old enough so she just got to play in the pool on the weekends.

Since we have moved up here my DS (who is 3.5) and my DD (19months) are in the pool in our backyard everyday. They both love it but they do it at their own pace. My DS can swim unaided (no floaties) from the steps to the end of the pool and back without stopping. He has virtually had no swimming lessons just a lot of exposure to the water where it has just basically been play. If I ask him to put his head under the water he won't, but he will jump of the sides into the pool and his head goes under water but I don't think he realises that his head is under water as it doesn't bother him.

My DD has NEVER been to a swimming lesson and she just swims around in the pool with arm floaties on. She will jump of the edge and she delibrately puts her head under the water and then jumps up playing like a peekaboo game. She has no fear.

I will enroll my DS in swimming lessons in about 6 months time I think. He needs to learn propper stroke technic beacause at the moment he is just doing a doggie paddle but he can swim and he has confidence in the water. If the swimming lessons take away his confidence in the water again I will pull him out and just give him more time to explore the water in his own time. DD is a lo braver child then DS so maybe I will enroll her in lessons at the same time and see how she likes them.
My 2.5 yr old twins started lessons at 7 months and they LOVED it...until about 2 months ago! Well it is really B, she will just cry and basically refuse to do anything, J is pretty good. It was actually the teacher who we have had from the beginning who has suggested they go up a level and try a different teacher, so we are going to try this out, hopefully it does the trick.
What about changing times, or teachers? Best of luck with it because I know it is so challenging but important to stick to it.
Can you swim? Given they are so young, I would suggest just taking them yourself as they will get some fun, some guidance and lots of love & cuddles thrown in! They will have lessons when they get to school and by then they should be nice and comfortable with being in and under the water.
I know this is old, but I can't get over the appalling behavior of this teacher. Instead of suggesting strategies of how to overcome your daughter's fears, she forced her past her comfort zone and has probably made the problem much much worse. This is wrong on so many levels. Having been a swim instructor for the past 2 years, I would NEVER force a child under the water. This is the quickest way of destroying the trust a child has in you. Then you get the parents upset, because their child is crying.

Then on top of this she chose to challenge you over taking your child out of the water. This to me, says that she KNEW what she did was wrong. I hope that you complained about this woman, because I am absolutely disgusted that she is out there teaching kids how to swim. She is the type of teacher that gives the rest of us a bad name.

I hope that your daughter has got over her fear of the water, and what this woman has managed to instil in her.

Laura

Mum to Thomas born 24-5-05

Which classes would you recommend?
Hi, I advise you to pay attention to https://studyhippo.com/essays-on/barack-obama/ these classes, as this educational platform is designed to help students and schoolchildren around the world. You can find a lot of useful information from them.
Sign in to follow this topic