Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. how do you feel about the hijab ??

how do you feel about the hijab ?? Lock Rss

10 years ago if I saw someone walking down the street with a hijab or head scarf on I would muimble under my breath "towel head" or "mad bloody bomber" ...something not so complementary ...I am not proud of that and a little bit embarrased at my ignorance !!

It doenst intimidate me anymore ...I actually think that some of them are very beautiful and have beautiful colors and fabrics ..I am not fussed on the muslim faith ..but thats ok ..I live in a free country and I dont have to be muslim if I dont like it ..just as they have a right to not be catholic if they dont like it ...the fundimentalist scare the snot out of me ..but I now dont think any person who has a beard or head scarf is out to kill me lol lol lol ..I have dropped my persecution complex !! lol lol

but I have to be honest ..the head scarf where you can only see the eyes ...I just dont feel comfortable with this ...As an Australian and a human I guage fear and danger my facial expression and body language combined ..I cant see nor sence it if I cant see a face ...I was in a lift coming out of visiting my SIL in hospital and as I got in two people (got no idea if they were male of femail) got in covered from head to toe in scarves ..they started talking in their language and I can tell you this for nothing ...I could not get out of that lift with my kids quick enough ..I even pushed the button and walked up the ramps a few floors early cause i just diddnt want to be in there with them ...I plain and simply felt scared and intimidated ..I tend to be in agreeance with France when they say they want to ban these ..but as for a normal head scarf ..they dont bother me in the slightest any more ..

I wonder if in 10 more years if I see more of the full body coverings I will become as complacent and comfortable ...who knows lol lol

how do you feel ??

I understand them wearing it for their religion, but being totally honest, it does make me 'on edge' if you know what I mean, the same way a person in a walking around in a motorcycle of face bandana does, I want to be able to see someones face, and if I cant it does spark my danger radar.
Its not a religious persecution thing, just a general safety thing, like I said before, I feel the same way about anyone with a hidden face, oh dont even mention street performers in masks or clowns, they spark my danger radar too!!
I really couldn't give stuff what people where - and hopefully they don't put too much effort into thinking about my ensembles either LOL!

But I do have personal reservations about being around people I don't know who are in full head-wear. That goes for scarfs, masks, motorbike helmets, clown makeup - you name it. I does affect my sense of personal safety.
I dont like the burka either. My bogan aussie side says piss it off, you're in our country now, at least try to fit in please!! We can't go running around the streets of iraq in our bondi best .. so don't wear your crap here! But my logical side says .. that is the way they are raised, they respect their 'beliefs' (ridiculous if ya ask me as I am farrrr from religious and dont understand how some man in the sky can send you to hell for showing flesh but anyways) I guess that's who they are, and it's not really hurting anyone, so let them go. Very contradicting view I know lol .. but I'm undecided on how I feel really, I see both sides of it. As a bank teller the full burka makes me incredibly nervous, and yes 100% they should be banned in banks .. not as a predjudice thing, just like you cant wear a helmet etc .. we need to be able to see someones face.
I guess we all fear the unknown ??

I agree with you Frankie. I like to see if someone is smiling which is hard to do if their face is fully covered. The head scarfs are quite pretty and in most cases being fully covered (just not the face) is practical. I remember coming out of a factory where I used to work and someone commented to a lady "Aren't you hot ?" but she was the least effected by the sun after being in air conditioning then anyone. So I know what i'd wear in the dessert.

The full cover is a hard one for me. It acts as a barrier- which I guess it's designed to be. I don't see it as a modestest thing so much as a hiding thing.
I don't think it's completely a fear of the unknown.

Communication is more than just verbal - non-verbal cues make up a huge part of how we are taught to communicate, and non-verbal cues generally convey a stronger message. For example, if someone is telling you they are sad, but they are smiling, do you believe the words they say?

With someone you know personally you get to know expressions through tones of voice etc, but with a stranger it can make you feel quite vulnerable to have to rely solely on the words being spoken.
TBH I don't really pay too much attention. I think because of where I work I come across so many people from different cultural backgrounds. However I do get freaked out by motorcycle helments smile

I do think that it is a little hyercritical (sp) that should DH and I end up going to a country that is predominantly muslim I will need to cover up, to ensure that I do no go against their beliefs - yet there is always a big uproar when its the other way round.

i only have a problem with the ones where you cant see the faces. it puts me on edge.

I don't think it's completely a fear of the unknown.

Communication is more than just verbal - non-verbal cues make up a huge part of how we are taught to communicate, and non-verbal cues generally convey a stronger message. For example, if someone is telling you they are sad, but they are smiling, do you believe the words they say?

With someone you know personally you get to know expressions through tones of voice etc, but with a stranger it can make you feel quite vulnerable to have to rely solely on the words being spoken.

mmmmmmm I dont know ...would have to be a pretty good actor to be sad and then say they were happy ...or be angry and say they are ok ..it is a tone ...a facial expression ..eye contact ...body language ..I dont know if you can guage by just one and i think if you leave one out you cant guage either ...I need the whole package baby !! lol lol

Makes me a bit edgy when i see people fully covered and i agree with some of the arguments to ban it but it is there way of life so on the fence really. When my cousin was in the air force she was sent overseas Iran i think when she was sightseeing she had to cover up all but her face.
It used to freak me out so badly, but I guess I'm used to it now. I tell you what REALLY annoys me though. I live in Inner West Sydney, and you can't go to a McDonalds, KFC, Nando's etc and get BACON on your burger at most stores now! WTF? Everything is better with BACON!
On the other side, my husband is military, and has spent time in Iraq. He has a very strong dislike of muslims fullstop. It's very hard to teach the kids tolerance when Daddy doesn't have any! We went to an Anzac day parade at the school, and out of 365 kids, there was FOUR sets of parents there. FOUR sets, on ANZAC day! Jon was devastated!

Sign in to follow this topic