Huggies Forum

country change Lock Rss

Just going off another thread.....

I've always been a country girl and its my absolute dream to have a sustainable property, ie eat what we grow (fruit, veg, livestock) and what we couldnt produce ourselves then barter or trade with likeminded people.

I'm well aware of the hard work involved with having a property like this but as I said, its my dream.

The only thing holding us back are work options. Obviously if we were to live fairly sustainably there wouldnt be a great need to have much of an income but obviously we'd still need one.

Just curious to see if anyone has done something like this and if so, what are the good & bad sides to it?

TIA

Rach

Just going off another thread.....

I've always been a country girl and its my absolute dream to have a sustainable property, ie eat what we grow (fruit, veg, livestock) and what we couldnt produce ourselves then barter or trade with likeminded people.

I'm well aware of the hard work involved with having a property like this but as I said, its my dream.

The only thing holding us back are work options. Obviously if we were to live fairly sustainably there wouldnt be a great need to have much of an income but obviously we'd still need one.

Just curious to see if anyone has done something like this and if so, what are the good & bad sides to it?

TIA

Rach

Get a large property and we'll build another house on it and we'll move next door smile

On a smaller country change note, we used to live in country Vic, about a 40 minute drive from DP's work in one town and an hour's drive to my work in a different town. Probably not 100% the same as what you're talking about, but I would go back to that lifestyle in a FLASH. There were a few things that needed to be thought of - we were on bottled gas and had to buy water in, but all that did really was make us be more frugal and careful and not waste these things. I've also had the vegetable patch to the point where the only thing I would buy was lettuce and broccoli (because I just couldn't seem to rid myself of the bug plague on those vegies). But we had pretty well everything else, and it tasted SO much better!!

I could probably have taken it a lot further with baking my own bread etc but didn't because I was still driving in to work and would pass shops.

I did miss getting fast food every now and then, but again, I was SO much healthier it was just ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

I miss that lifestyle so very very much. I would ideally love to move back to something similar - rural enough that I was able to be sustainable on the land to some extent, but also close enough as we were to be able to work, and also thinking in the future about the kids schooling too......

I hope that all made sense!!
I have always loved this idea .

I would love to be completely self sufficant.

Kinda like a hippy comune , where do I sign up smile
Made perfect sense Christy!!!

See that's the sort of lifestyle we want. I just have this dream that we could grow our own veg & fruit, have chooks & ducks for eggs and the odd KFC equivalent, have a house cow for milk and make my own cheese and yoghurt, even have a couple of goats for milk and eating, might even have a piggy or two. I'd make my own bread, preserve my own fruit & pickle my veg...that sort of thing, oh and I'd have solar power and tank water. I could even have horses again and a few hundred cats & dogs tongue

If I couldnt grow it or make it, then I'd buy/trade.

The lifestyle really appeals to me and I think it would be a fantastic lifestyle for the girls to grow up with.

Although, maybe I'm just delusional?!?!?!
LOL oh and I have a burning desire to be President of the local CWA and win all of the fruit cake competitions at the local show!!!! laugh

LOL at the hippy/commune comment....I could do that!!!

Made perfect sense Christy!!!

See that's the sort of lifestyle we want. I just have this dream that we could grow our own veg & fruit, have chooks & ducks for eggs and the odd KFC equivalent, have a house cow for milk and make my own cheese and yoghurt, even have a couple of goats for milk and eating, might even have a piggy or two. I'd make my own bread, preserve my own fruit & pickle my veg...that sort of thing, oh and I'd have solar power and tank water. I could even have horses again and a few hundred cats & dogs tongue

If I couldnt grow it or make it, then I'd buy/trade.

The lifestyle really appeals to me and I think it would be a fantastic lifestyle for the girls to grow up with.

Although, maybe I'm just delusional?!?!?!

No way you are SO not delusional. My ideal lifestyle would involve my working 2 days a week in town somewhere doing lawyerly stuff or whatever, then the rest of the time out at the "farm" just pottering and whatnot, playing piano, gardening, tending the flocks lol.

LOL oh and I have a burning desire to be President of the local CWA and win all of the fruit cake competitions at the local show!!!! laugh

I'll be your deputy grin And you can win the fruit cake comps, I'll win the art and craft sections grin LMAO.
Yep, you can do the clothes sewing and I'll do the baking !!!

I really want to do this hey!

Yep, you can do the clothes sewing and I'll do the baking !!!

I really want to do this hey!

Me too. And I'm not kidding. Now to convince DP......
OMG how much FUN would our kids have????!!!!!!! I mean seriously?!!!!!!
I did the country change and moved from Brisbane to a little hole, I mean town a few months ago. I live on family farm near the Victorian border and love it! You save more money because I dont have the temptation of shops around, although internet shopping and TVSN are good grin We have about 6 dogs plus always a litter of pups. Only have sheep on farm but its cool atm cos we have babies. We do a fortnightly shop in Wagga or Albury. Its so quiet out here and I think its a lovely place to bring up kids! Theres so much room for my DS to run (when hes old enough), plenty of animals and he can ride motorbikes or our quads.
Christy the kids would LOVE IT and would go nuts!

these are all good points and making me want it even more.....any downsides to it???

Christy the kids would LOVE IT and would go nuts!

these are all good points and making me want it even more.....any downsides to it???

The only downside we had was the bushfire risk....we had the fires come within about 1.5km of our house.... apart from that, nope. None. Can't see any smile
Sign in to follow this topic