Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

country change Lock Rss

The only downside I see at the moment would be that family & friends wouldnt visit as often.

Bushfires and farm accidents are all in my mind too as well as it being bloody hard work pretty much all day long to have the sort of farm we want. It could also be fairly expensive to care for some of the animals as they'd need worming and drenching etc.

Now just to find the perfect property and a job for DH......oh and I'm sure he'd need a bit of convincing that it would be all worth it.

The only downside I see at the moment would be that family & friends wouldnt visit as often.

Bushfires and farm accidents are all in my mind too as well as it being bloody hard work pretty much all day long to have the sort of farm we want. It could also be fairly expensive to care for some of the animals as they'd need worming and drenching etc.

Now just to find the perfect property and a job for DH......oh and I'm sure he'd need a bit of convincing that it would be all worth it.

What sort of farm do you want?? We used to breed dogs and had horses too. We had automatic waterers for the horses so that wasn't a problem, we used to get the vet to come out to the property and did all the animals worming etc in one hit and they usually gave us a really good rate smile We also had a sensational meat wholesaler for food for the dogs, and were able to buy other bulk foodie stuffs for the animals too.

Worst parts of it are if, for example, a horse gets colic and the vet can't get there in time (which happened once for us - absolutely devastating), or animal injuries too. Also extremes in weather - frosts and heatwaves - can affect the vegies markedly. That said we didn't have greenhouses set up and I believe if we had have we could have avoided some of those issues.

We didn't have visitors often, but for me that suited me perfectly lol. Much as I'm a people kinda person, I LOVE having my own private space grin So yep, less visits for me worked a treat lol.

IMO the pros far outweigh the cons.
We live on a small hobby farm, we have 4 cows - 2 heifers, 2 steers, sheep, chooks (had ducks but they became fox dinner!!!Lol)

I woudn't say we are completly sustainable but I don't think it would be too hard IYKWIM? Currently we kill our own meat, mainly sheep, DH was going to build a coolroom and do it himself but we discovered the abbotior do it for $30 per lamb so it works out easier as we don't have to dispose of eveything etc!!

We were going to kill off one of the steers now for beef but will be selling both to get money for fencing first ( disapointed but I know long term it will be worth it) we have only tank water, no access to town water at all, which has only been a problem after the Feb 7 fires when our water got contaminated we had to get water from SIL's house till we could clwean out the tank and get fresh water brought in, once we got fresh water our pressure pump *** itself so we were without running water for a while!!! We also have solar hot water but we are looking into putting the house completely on solar.

We get eggs when the chooks are laying (not atm in this frosty weather!!) and when DH builds my new pen I will be looking into getting a couple of roosters and breeding some for eating as well, we do however shoot ducks off the dam and eat them same as rabbit, though I am not keen on rabbit.

We have wood heating and between our place and FIL's we have a massive supply of free fire wood.

The only thing I suck at is gardening, but with the help of my neighbour (horticulturist) I am hoping to get an established vegie garden growing, I currently grow pumpkins but you can't kill them!!! LOL) and we have fruit trees but they are not mature yet, though I would love to get more going, our old house had heaps of old fruit trees and we would trade with FIL.

Currently I get a lot of vegies from next door but my plan will be to hopefully grow some so we can swap.
ATM I can't bake either but I would love to try baking bread, I have tried a couple of times but the oven was crap! Now I am waiting for my new one I would love to give it a go.
And I am not interested in milking a house cow!!!!LOL

We are out of town, our closest town is a small town of 1400 and we are a 40min drive to a larger town of 15000, DH's family all live around here and a lot of our friends, our house is always full of people, my family live 40mins away so not far, and mum comes over about once a week for lunch.

In 2006 our back paddock was alight during the bushfires (we weren't living here then) so yes there is a risk but really even when we lived in town were at risk because of the area, we have fire tanks and pumps at the ready during summer, and hoses, sprinkler systems etc.
Thanks for that....its great to get a perspective from someone actually doing it.

I still really want to have a tree change....it will happen one day!

Thanks for that....its great to get a perspective from someone actually doing it.

I still really want to have a tree change....it will happen one day!

Forgot to add we have only lived here 2 years, so its still a BIG work in progress but I know we will get there!!! My plan is to at least have to buy no meat and no fruit and veg, they both get so expensive!!!!!
Hi there!

We are in the process of becoming self sufficient. It takes a while to set up!! We have just over an acre but use our neighbours land to raise a few animals which we share with them as payment for the use of the land.
We hand reared a jersey cow from 3 days old and she is now 1.5 years so she will soon be ready to breed and then to milk. We try and grow enough vegies to cover our family and supply parents and then also exchange with neighbours. We make sauces, jams, bread, (we don't buy it at all) and essentially try and buy whole foods and then cook from scratch. We buy flour from the mill in 10/20kilo bags (only due to storage restrictions) We have chooks for eggs and we are just about ready to knock of the boys for our freezer. We have recently knocked off a sheep for our freezer. We have 2 goats who I originally got for milking but never had the time as I was working. Once these guys keel over, we shall replace with a milking goat.
I was making my own cheese, until I was knocked for 6 with morning sickness and then a new baby, but we will be starting again as soon as we get our new starters and bacteria.

We have solar hot water and the next step is reducing our electricity and gas consumption. we are reducing our appliances as they fade away. we use the fire for cooking and we have just bought a billy kettle to sit on top of the fire for coffee. we have a gas stove for cooking but we want to get a wood oven instead of cramming food into our little combustion fire. we have no electrical heating or airconditioning, just a fan and gas heater if desperate!

It is a great life! it is very hard work though!! every now and then you come home and want something easy to eat, but you haven't made the bread...or the fire isn't on so its freezing!
downsides would be planting enough stuff constantly to keep your vegie garden ticking over to supply food year round. cleaning and feeding animals in the rain or trying to find the time to do it while small kids are occupied!! vet stuff if needed. (we are organic so don't use routine medications - have had no problem in 10 years except for last week! moral is....quarantine new animals - don't stick them with your own animals in a rush....) bushfires, weeding areas that are not set up etc.

We are also going to venture into aquaculture which involves growing fish in ponds and the water filters through a vegie garden bed.

I would say go for it! The other thing is....you can actually become self sufficient on a suburban block. you can also barter with neighbours! replace your garden or wasted areas with food crops. even the front of your house along the road! window sills, pots etc! aquaculture would be brilliant in this setup. Just takes planning!

Workwise, dh works in the city to pay off the mortgage. I basically do the property stuff and am working to reduce all of our expenses so his wage can go towards the mortgage without anything else.

feel free to pm me or ask any questions you like!
forgot to add..... i won an honorary mention at this yrs local show for my cherry tomatoes and i entered 2 cakes.....lol
(my first show!!)
OC you are seriously living my dream - can I come live with you!!!! lol

DH has just last weekend made me an enormous raised garden bed (4.8 x .9) and I plan to grow vegetables that we use the most ie potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, green onion, capsicum, zucchini, silverbeet, lettuce....those sorts of things.

In the near future we'll be getting solar panels and once we've established our renovation plans we'll put in a tank for water. If our yard was big enough we'd have chooks but my mate has bantums so we'll most likely trade/swap, my veg for her eggs.

I also have a thing for goats.....not in a bad way, I just think they're awsome little animals and have such personalities. lol

Actually my sister is about to realise this dream....she and her dh have just bought 70 acres and do plan to live as self sufficiently as possible.

It will happen one day....

Also, I really love the idea of aquaculture!

Forgot to add we have only lived here 2 years, so its still a BIG work in progress but I know we will get there!!! My plan is to at least have to buy no meat and no fruit and veg, they both get so expensive!!!!!

that was the only thing I was going to add...that although becoming self sufficient is fantastic it actually takes awhile
to set up. Like years...

I grew up on a farm...about 100 acres, with about 30 head of cattle, 5 horses, dogs, cats, chooks, massive vegie garden etc etc..it was SO much fun growing up in the country, it was incredible
BUT once I hit high school I hated it and only now appreiciate it again! Being 14 and having all your friends "in town" and your only way of getting there was Mum...it turned me against it in a way IYKWIM??

My mum is still there and GOD I love going home and just relaxing but having moved to the city after school and now going home I realise how much bloody work it is for her. It is never ending...

Ticks and treatments for the cows, gravel for the driveway (the gravel man only comes once a year), water is constantly an issue (during that drought a few years back I have never seen my mum so stressed, she was dirt
broke and had to sell our cows for pretty much nothing just to get money for water and we lost numerous cows), fencing (you fix one bit and another bit falls apart)

Anyway you get the idea lol and don't get me wrong it is such a great idea, and if you are prepared for the hard work 3-5 year set up it would be fantastic...

My sister is actually thinking about moving home with her two boys at the moment (though closer to town and with only 5 acres)...the boys freakin love it there...they love bragging about their country Nanny's place to their city friends haha

I'd love to do this kind of thing too!

I think doing it commune-style is the way to go, though, because then everyone isn't trying to do everything - you each do a bit and share/barter for the bits that you don't do. Seems less overwhelming that way.

It would be a HUGE country change for DH, though! He's never lived out of a city, raised in a white collar family etc - as opposed to me who grew up on a farm and have some idea how much work is involved. I'd be happy to stay home and do homey stuff, though grin

I also think goats are great - grew up on a goat dairy - the milk is fab, and so is the meat! And they're just fun, lively, intelligent animals.

I can't wait until we move and have a bit more space (rental still) 'cause I'll be asking permission to do some serious gardening! Love the idea of growing as much of our fresh stuff as possible.

Sign in to follow this topic