Huggies Forum

Baby Necessities Lock Rss

DH and I took advantage of some sales and some gift cards we had and did a bit of a shop - we still have to get a cot, mattress, stroller and car seat. We got a bit confused by all the bottles, teats, nappies and wipes so I'll wait until my SIL can come and advise me on that!

Here's what we got so far - please tell me what's missing (that is absolutely necessary) and did I do OK with sizes?

1 x cot mattress protector
1 x nappy/organiser bag thing for going out (best bargain, half price at Target)
1 x cotton cot blanket
1 x quilt
3 x cot sheet sets

4 x Wondersuits (Bonds) size 000
2 x Wondersuits (Bonds) size 0000
1 x Singlet Suit 0000
5 x Vests 000
4 x Flannelette Wraps
3 x Muslin Wraps
5 x Socks 000
1 x Beanie 000
2 x Bibs (you get lots as gifts, right?)

12 x Face Washers
2 x Towels
1 x Bath Thermometer
i would maybe get another cot blanket, and also another beanie and cloth nappies for spew rags (great to throw over your shoulder while burping bub) i wouldnt worry about any 0000 singlets just use the 000.
And i had the avent bottles to start with and they just leaked so i switched to tommee tippee closer to nature and they are great
I agree with pp some cloth nappies for spew rags, they work real well.
Mittens are a good idea, they always seem to scratch themselves.
Baby nail clippers, still use them on my kiddies, thermometer for baby.
Small soft foldup changemat for when you go to the shops.
Thats all i can think of for now

Larissa Charlotte Brayden

i forgot to add a couple of bunny rugs for when you go out
Hi there

I was recommended to get several cot protectors, which makes sense as I guess they get wet too.

Target has them on sale at the mo, 2 for $18.

Hi there

I was recommended to get several cot protectors, which makes sense as I guess they get wet too.

Target has them on sale at the mo, 2 for $18.

ahh good point
get a thermometer that you put in the ear as the ones that go under the arm are really hard to use with a wriggly baby. Get the same amount of matteress protecters as you have sheet sets, if a vomit or other happens you will be changing the whole lot not just the sheets. Definately cloth nappies for spew rags, get more socks that are the same as the ones you have as little socks get lost and misplaced REALLY easily. If you are using formula, get a thermos for when you go out, I half fill the bottles with cooled boiled water and top it up with boiling water out of the thermos so it is heated, then you dont have to try and find a microwave etc when you are out.
Definately more than one matress protector. When DD had a tummy bug we went throught hem rathr quickly and you can't put them in the clothes dryer!!!!!

Do you want/need a monitor?

An ear thermometer is easier than one for under the arm.

Some wraps? Maybe something bigger and thicker that can double as something to put on the floor for bubs to lay on.
Don't buy too much small stuff e.g. 000 or 000. They will grow out of it really really quickly. It doesn't matter if the legs are a bit long etc. We had so much stuff that he never got to wear.

Don't buy too much small stuff e.g. 000 or 000. They will grow out of it really really quickly. It doesn't matter if the legs are a bit long etc. We had so much stuff that he never got to wear.

LOL, I was going to say get MORE smaller things!! Mine were both in 00000 for several weeks! Though I don't like them wearing clothes that are too big, I don't think it would be comfy to wear.

LOL, I was going to say get MORE smaller things!! Mine were both in 00000 for several weeks! Though I don't like them wearing clothes that are too big, I don't think it would be comfy to wear.

I was gonna say the same, DD2 is almost 8 months and is only just starting to grow out of her 000s.
Thanks so much for all of the replies. I've only seen about 2 newborns in my whole life. Every time I pick up the really small clothes I think "no way, they can't be that small" lol
Sign in to follow this topic