Huggies Forum

Private Vs Public Schools Rss

Hi,
I am posting this as i am currently facing this dilemma. I have ALWAYS wanted my children to go to a private school. I think this stems from how bad my public schooling was when i was young. Now my son is almost 4 and i am researching my options.

I still want to send them to a private school, its just soooo expensive. I am more than willing to work hard and save every penny to send them there. Before i send off the enrolment forms i would love to hear some experiences or what you would do in this situation.
im in the same position.
im torn though because i had a fairly good education in the public system and i like to think that a smart child will do well in any environment and that private school teachers are still just teachers, they arent any different to any other teachers from any other school.
i like the idea of them having access to all the extra curricular activities etc but as my mum pointed out, they can do sports/music/arts etc in their own time outside of school if that is where their interests lie.

im super torn. there are a lot of private schools around me that are very tempting but ive heard mixed responses. i used to think that there would be a better "reputation" of kids going there but i think that was very naive of me because from what ive heard, drugs and bullying etc is just as rife in the private schools as the public, if not worse.

so im torn!!!
we have chosed private cos i dont like the public schools around my area so looked and found a private one that suits us to a T. smaller, not located near shops, main roads etc, teaches evolution and creation. great sporting facilities, solid cirriculum. very good school in our eyes.

it only costs us a little extra to go private than what it is costing us now in childcare fees. except we dont get the 50% back each quarter.

if you want to, can afford it, then go for it. if you are going to live like a pauper though, i wouldnt.

there ARE good public ones out there.

good luck.
oh thats the other thing, we are NOT religious and 99% of the private schools are, and im not sure how i feel about her having one particular religion dictating the type of education she receives. but im open to it if i feel that school will offer her the best education. im yet to be convinced though.
money isnt an object for us as DH has already said if we agree to send her, we can afford to but im more concerned with what experiences she will have and whether they will set her in good stead for the rest of her life.
Thanks for your replies smile

I have to take what i can get where i live. I have no doubt that there are some great public schools out there, though unfortunately i won't be living near them.

I assume we won't be struggling week to week financially, but we would definately have to watch our cash.

So its private schooling for our children and watching our finances.

Or public schooling and better cash flow.

Thanks for your replies smile

I have to take what i can get where i live. I have no doubt that there are some great public schools out there, though unfortunately i won't be living near them.

I assume we won't be struggling week to week financially, but we would definately have to watch our cash.

So its private schooling for our children and watching our finances.

Or public schooling and better cash flow.

if you can afford it and prefer it to the alternatives, then i would send them to private.
We are not religious either, but i do feel its very important for my children to be taught a RELAXED yet comprehensive look at the bible and its history. I am unable to provide that for my children as was never taught and have no idea. I would like them to know the history and be able to make up their own minds when they are age appropriate.

We looked at one private school that was SO religious they taught children about burning in hell etc and that was a huge hell no for me wink

I like the thought of them being taught religion, though i would still want them to address each student as an individual. The school we are looking at is more about teaching them the history of the bible and encouraging them to live with chirstian morals such as respect, giving, honour etc
yeah thats where im at too.
because im not religious (wasnt even baptised as a baby so im definately gonna burn eeek! lol) i dont know what to tell my DD but in my public school we had scripture classes that were not compulsory so i sometimes went and other times chose not to. in high school i learnt about numerous religions which i like because i would prefer DD to choose a religion (if any) that she felt she could believe in and was comfortable with, not one that i chose for her, or that her school forced upon her. one of the schools i enquired about wont even take them unless they are catholic which i think is a bit sad because in "the real world" they are going to have to mingle with people from all walks of life and all religions and i would hope that one was not segregated or thought of differently because they were religious...or in our case NOT religious.
Our plan here is to send all three kids to public schooling for their primary years and by the time they are ready to start Middle/Secondary school, we will be in a better financial position to send them to a private school.

If all goes well (fingers crossed) I would love to work in a private school myself (I'm in final semester studying to be a secondary teacher) and then all the kids could attend the same school where I work.

That is the ultimate aim/dream for us...

But then we have a pretty darn decent primary school just around the corner, so there are no qualms about sending them there initially...

Save your money IMO. I'd never send E to a private school but I have the luxury of lots of good public schools around. I know some people don't always have that option.
As far as I'm concerned, if you're smart, you'll do well and I also wouldn't send her to a religious school and most of the private schools are religious.
It really depend on your area and what schools you have around. Im my area the primary schools are great all public but the public high schools are shocking no joke in year 11 one person passed the math exam at the high school i went to. DP went to the private high school near us and loved it. My sister goes there and it is religious but only one chapel session a week. If im still where i am ill be sending my 2 there unless the high schools have changed. Mil is even sending bil to the private high school in a few years time.
I have always said that I will send my kids to a public school, however if they are having troubles either socially or more importantly educationally then I would pull them out and send them to a private school that has a smaller kid to teacher ratio

I am also of the opinion that a bright kid will do just as well in a public as a private school
Sign in to follow this topic